Sign in with
Your question

New SLI build.. advice needed please.

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2007 1:50:06 PM

Ok... to start off if I read one more review within the next week this new planned PC will have a new delivery address of the closest mental hospital as that will be my new residence for the next few years. :pt1cable:  I have changed the design on my new PC so much over the past 2 weeks now my small excel spreadsheet with planned parts has turned into compendium of about every single brand, make, model & price of every known part in the universe (well not literally, but it is getting a tad bit overboard) :kaola:  and I have finally decided enough is enough I will post my specs to be picked apart by the masses and let the overall majority decide.

So here it is:

VIDEO 1
EVGA e-Geforce 8800GTX, 768MB, PCI-E $780.00
VIDEO 2
EVGA e-Geforce 8800GTX, 768MB, PCI-E $780.00
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz/1066FSB) g0 Stepping (SLACR) $350.00
RAM
Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 PC2-6400 2GB (1GBx2) DDR2 Kit $200.00
RAM 2
Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 PC2-6400 2GB (1GBx2) DDR2 Kit $200.00
POWER SUPPLY
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Power Supply (W0133) $420.00
CASE
Cooler Master Stacker 831 $285.00
FANS
120mmx2 CoolerMaster Blue LED Silent 120 SI3 $20.00
WATER COOLING
Thermaltake Bigwater 745 Liquid Cooling System $219.00
WATER COOLING 2
Thermaltake Aquabay M5 (CL-W0103) $88.00
WATER COOLING 3
Thermaltake TMG ND4 LCS $88.00
WATER COOLING 4
Thermaltake TMG ND4 LCS $88.00
MOTHERBOARD
ASUS STRIKER EXTREME, 680i SLI, 1333MHz FSB, DDR2-800 $469.00
HDD
WD Caviar SE16 SATA 300 MB/s 500GB $192.50
DVD
LG BLACK 18X +/- RW/RAM DVD SATA Burner (GSA-H62N) $50.00
MONITOR
ViewSonic VX2835wm 28" $890.00
MOUSE
Razer Copperhead (Blue) $91.30
KEYBOARD
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard $84.70
OS
MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 64-bit OEM $154.00
HEADPHONE
eDimensional AudioFX Pro 5+1 Force Feedback Headset $95.50
SOUND
Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer $200.00
LIGHTING
Thermaltake Blue Cold Cathode Light Kit $20.00

This is an older version of what I now have (sort of) planned... which would be replacing the Bigwater cooling kit with a Thermaltake Kandalf Lcs... and there is where I stumbled across my first problem that still existed with the system I quoted.... I don't have a 2nd or 3rd radiator for my SLI GFX setup :??: 

So where do I go from here ? well it dawned upon me I don't really need to water cool my GPU's now that there is less heat blowing off from my CPU cooler onto or near my GFX cards.. but it would be nice to be able to do so and I am just stumped upon how I would do this without some case modding.

If it helps any I have selected a few different cases to choose from which would have to have the Bigwater again (the reason I chose the bigwater set up is it seems simple enough without being abundantly expensive, dito with the Kandalf... anyway here are the other cases I have chosen based upon looks, size (bigger is better in my case as I have plenty of room) and cooling.....

NZXT Zero
Antec Nine Hundred
Lian Li PC-V2000 PLUS II
Lian Li PC-A71

Last 2 are a bit expensive, but if I get aircooling with them (or if my budget permits straight out) I will buy watercooling parts bit by bit for it.

As you can probably tell I plan on overclocking (why else would I bother getting good air cooling or water cooling :p ), it is for gaming and finally my supply chain of parts is pretty limited as I am in Australia and unless I really, really go over my budget I wont be buying "the best" parts possible (but with the basic system I have tried to go for parts based upon good reviews so unless you can really convince me that it wont be needed or I can get better for cheaper or whatever really I don't think I will change them too much... but feel free to offer advice on them)... oh and my budget is absolute max $6000AU, with a minimum of $5000AU.

Finally I can buy 2 8800GTX's @ $768AU ea (around ($630USD) or I can get a single or dual evga ULTRA's @ $898AU ea ($736USD)... I have been turned off on getting ULTRA's after reading alot of reviews and would need strong convincing that the price difference between the 2 over here in Aus isn't that great and I should go for the ULTRA's anyway... especially "if" I am getting water cooling for the GTX's to OC to about 630 core clock safely ($768 GTX + $88 VGA block + $xx radiator price whatever that may be)... I can OC the ULTRA's with their standard cooling to above what I can clock the water cooled GTX's (well thats my belief) and it saves me a lot of hassle searching for the right water cooling parts.

All prices/parts are in $AU and are mostly from http://www.extremepc.com.au except for a few select items.

So masses pick apart as you will, I will chime in from time to time over the next 2 days and hopefully by then my decision will be reached.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can assist me as I really am driving myself up the wall looking for the right build... sleep time :sleep: 
September 5, 2007 8:18:15 PM

ViewSonic VX2835wm 28" review Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27" review
I know you are "source limited" but IMO this is not the component to compromise on a lower quality part.

2 times 8800GTX is a bad choice on the eve of the 9800GTX release.
You'll want to save enough money to pick up one of those.

Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF 850W PSU or Enermax GALAXY 850w PSU will more than meet the needs of anything you can stuff in that big Stacker (or Kandalf) case. (Unless you're going for an extreme cooling solution like TEC or Phase Change cooling which always come with condensation problems)

September 5, 2007 11:45:56 PM

Cooler Master Stacker 831 $285.00

Get the Stacker 832 its better and cheaper - $239.99 and addresses complaints of the first stackers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Dont get the Striker Extreme unless you love copper - it has no additional benefits to the P5N32-E SLI 680i board

It's also cheaper

Here is article well written that compares them:

http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=616

Make sure your RAM is on the ASUS QVL list on their site for the board you end up choosing - its PDF download

If this is your monitor then the contrast ratio is 800:1 which is low to most LCD's

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2175179,00.a...

1200 Watt power supply should keep you going - I chose Tagan 1100 Watt model - might consider that for being cheaper

Up to you - but dont get striker and I recommend the better case for cheaper
Related resources
September 5, 2007 11:48:27 PM

and lol on the refining your build - I went through the same thing - its very hard to settle, but the Extreme and P5n32-E should use the same RAM (Provided its on the QVL) and the Stacker won't change anything for you either
September 6, 2007 10:01:01 AM

Quote:
ViewSonic VX2835wm 28" review Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27" review
I know you are "source limited" but IMO this is not the component to compromise on a lower quality part.

My only problem with the difference between the 2 monitors is that for the price of the Samsung I could buy 2 ViewSonic's, so in terms of performance quality is it really 2 times better than the VS ? (ergonomics and aesthetics mean little to me as far as choice of monitor goes so thats about 2/3 of the bad part of the review gone) the other problem with the VS is the color or gamma... both of which were addressed rather easily according to that review by changing the video cards settings. The only thing I really worry about is motion blur which is suppose to be rather good and sharpness of image quality.. again suppose to be alright.

Quote:
2 times 8800GTX is a bad choice on the eve of the 9800GTX release.
You'll want to save enough money to pick up one of those.

This new Nvidia card is very disputed and is something I am rather iffy about, it has a November release date and performs twice as good as an 8800ULTRA.. so wheres the catch ? none of this information is backed up by Nvidia and in fact they denied the production of the G92 cards being released on November 12, 2007... it is all information from (according to what I found out) an unnamed source in "The Inquirer" which I really wouldn't call a reliable source of information. I don't have any idea of how Nvidia handles thing's but if their top video card can handle all games brought out and blows away their rivals best product why would you release something that you already corner the market on and would only lower the prices of your other cards ?
I just don't want to end up waiting till November for a good video solution and then have Nvidia release a statement saying their new cards will be available sometime in Feb/March.. as others have said about other PC parts on these boards and many others... if you wait there will always be something better right around the corner (and believe me I have paid the consequences already with the "wait till" as I am still running a 6600 standard which barely puts out enough frames to keep me going in CSS @ 1024x768 let alone the newer games out in todays markets.

Quote:
Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF 850W PSU or Enermax GALAXY 850w PSU will more than meet the needs of anything you can stuff in that big Stacker (or Kandalf) case. (Unless you're going for an extreme cooling solution like TEC or Phase Change cooling which always come with condensation problems)

This is where I have left a bit of room for future upgrades without going too much over my budget price difference between a 1000w and a 1200w isn't that great and I imagine that if I did in future decide to swap out my GTX's for the 9 series I would need this extra juice... I originally had a Antec Quattro 850w TruePower planned but finding out that this was only just over my limitations for an over clocked, SLI, water cooled rig I went the next step to 1000w and found the price diff between the 1000 and 1200 was minimal.

Quote:

Get the Stacker 832 its better and cheaper - $239.99 and addresses complaints of the first stackers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] cker%2b832

Actually thats US pricing isn't it ? the prices I quoted are in AU... but its not too much over the 831 over here... if the Stacker 832 is a better choice for my rig then I might consider getting it.. but I am still trying to decide on which case to get out of all the others also.

Quote:
Dont get the Striker Extreme unless you love copper - it has no additional benefits to the P5N32-E SLI 680i board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131073

It's also cheaper

Make sure your RAM is on the ASUS QVL list on their site for the board you end up choosing - its PDF download

Now theres something I can live with changing, from what I have read these 2 boards are identical bar the options I don't need.... now I just need to see how available this MB is here... woohoo $319AU vs $469AU now I just need to decide where the extra money gets spent on :p 

If I have disputed any suggestions please do not think that I am simply overlooking them, I have taken them in and will look at what I can and I thank you for your input.
September 6, 2007 5:45:06 PM

ZeroCool wrote :
I originally had a Antec Quattro 850w TruePower planned but finding out
that this was only just over my limitations for an over clocked, SLI,
water cooled rig I went the next step to 1000w and found the price diff
between the 1000 and 1200 was minimal.

Ok - I have to admit you got me curious. What would it take to max out a 850w PSU. I did a couple "test builds" on the Extreme Power Calculator and came up: (* items are "upgrades" and I assumed that OC'd 2x 8800GTX would have about the same power requrirements as 2 9800GTXs)

High End Desktop total 847watts
Q6600 OC'd 3.5Ghz 95% CPU utilization 179watts
2x8800GTX OC'd 626/2000
4GB DDR2
*3 Sata HDs
*1 SSD DRAM HD + 1 Flash SSD HD
*2 DVD-RW/DVD+RW (+1)
*1 Blu-Ray HD DVD
Audio Card with front bay controller
*1 PCI-e x4 card (Physics card)
2 USB powered devices 1 Firewire powered device
Fan controller, Front bay card reader, Front bay LCD display
2 case lights cold cathode type
4 LED HiPerf 120mm Fans
Thermaltake Big Water cooling kit and 2 relay pumps
Thermaltake Aquabay M5
95% system load and 15% capacitor aging (95% is unusually high - 85% is probably the highest you'll ever need)
-> Take out the Blu-Ray HD drive total now @ 812watts

The watercooled system you're looking to build, as listed, probably needs 664watts
A top air cooled system (Q6600 OC'd 3.2Ghz) with your listed would probably need 556watts.

I'm just really curious how you calculated your power requirements.

September 6, 2007 6:00:47 PM

and believe me I have paid the consequences already with the "wait
till" as I am still running a 6600 standard which barely puts out
enough frames to keep me going in CSS @ 1024x768
said:
and believe me I have paid the consequences already with the "wait
till" as I am still running a 6600 standard which barely puts out
enough frames to keep me going in CSS @ 1024x768
Can you explain this a little more?
September 6, 2007 6:53:46 PM

I would consider Swiftech H20-220 cooling kit. I think it is superior to the Bigwater.
September 7, 2007 12:36:41 AM

WR2 said:
ZeroCool wrote :
I originally had a Antec Quattro 850w TruePower planned but finding out
that this was only just over my limitations for an over clocked, SLI,
water cooled rig I went the next step to 1000w and found the price diff
between the 1000 and 1200 was minimal.

Ok - I have to admit you got me curious. What would it take to max out a 850w PSU. I did a couple "test builds" on the Extreme Power Calculator and came up: (* items are "upgrades" and I assumed that OC'd 2x 8800GTX would have about the same power requrirements as 2 9800GTXs)

High End Desktop total 847watts
Q6600 OC'd 3.5Ghz 95% CPU utilization 179watts
2x8800GTX OC'd 626/2000
4GB DDR2
*3 Sata HDs
*1 SSD DRAM HD + 1 Flash SSD HD
*2 DVD-RW/DVD+RW (+1)
*1 Blu-Ray HD DVD
Audio Card with front bay controller
*1 PCI-e x4 card (Physics card)
2 USB powered devices 1 Firewire powered device
Fan controller, Front bay card reader, Front bay LCD display
2 case lights cold cathode type
4 LED HiPerf 120mm Fans
Thermaltake Big Water cooling kit and 2 relay pumps
Thermaltake Aquabay M5
95% system load and 15% capacitor aging (95% is unusually high - 85% is probably the highest you'll ever need)
-> Take out the Blu-Ray HD drive total now @ 812watts

The watercooled system you're looking to build, as listed, probably needs 664watts
A top air cooled system (Q6600 OC'd 3.2Ghz) with your listed would probably need 556watts.

I'm just really curious how you calculated your power requirements.

I didn't base it off a PSU calculator, I based it off Nvidia's SLI minimum recommended PSU req which was 750w for 2 8800GTX's.
For the 9800 which is purely speculation as no official stats have been announced (as far as I'm aware) I estimated it would be 1000w with a decent system and as I stated a 1000w and 1200w price difference was very minimal... theres not much harm in having an over abundance of power I believe, apart from my my electric bill (the good ol saying better to be safe than sorry).

WR2 said:
Can you explain this a little more?

Sure... I originally a few years back now, bought a new PC, P4 3.2g... blah blah (sorry not really important).. anyway upon buying this system I was recommended to buy a 6600 at the time and "wait till" the newer model card came out so I was saving money on my GFX which would hold me over for a while.. problem was this "wait till" kept coming again and again as newer models where brought out and now I have had enough of waiting for the better option or waiting till the better option comes out so the lower gen is cheaper (there always is.. GT, GTX, ULTRA etc etc).... I only just thought you might think I meant processor... if thats the case then I meant Nvidia's 6600 GFX card... if it was questioning why a 6600 puts out crap frames @ 1024x768, I don't know ask the designer's from Nvidia :p 

Just as an update I just found (and bought) a new Dell 30" 3007 WFP-HC LCD SCREEN HDCP for $1550AU so I kinda just upped the anti on needing SLI... but should make anyone who had gripes about the ViewSonic monitor happy ;) 

grieve said:
I would consider Swiftech H20-220 cooling kit. I think it is superior to the Bigwater.

Availability = really really hard to find over here in AUS :( 
September 7, 2007 12:51:01 AM

I think it looks like you have a great build picked out - as far as the 9800 did you hear they will have something even better after that ??? lol

on and on and on - people have to buy a pC one of these days - can't keep waiting on something better its not like you can tell if a game is running 160 frames a second versus 60 frames anyhow.... The human eye cannot detect it so people who brag about those frame rates are nuts - and developers don't make the textures higher res then probably 2048x2048 most use 1024x1024 or 512x512 textures on objects as anything too large will slow down the best PC's out there.

Conclusion - who cares what the next card can do - if the 8800 is giving you high res and great frames its plenty enough
September 7, 2007 2:33:35 AM

As long as you're throwing money away, why don't you RAID a couple of Raptors?
September 7, 2007 4:08:51 AM

why a 6600 puts out crap frames @ 1024x768
said:
why a 6600 puts out crap frames @ 1024x768
Ok a 6600 video card. I thought you meant a C2D E6600!
[msgquoted="Dell 30" 3007 WFP-HC" .... should make anyone who had gripes about the ViewSonic monitor happy
]"Dell 30" 3007 WFP-HC" .... should make anyone who had gripes about the ViewSonic monitor happy
[/msgquoted]It's gonna make YOU a lot happier than us! Now that is a first class upgrade and it puts your money where it will do the most good IMO. Its really an outstanding display. 3 years ago you couldnt have touched that type of display quality for under $3500. The only "drawback" is the 2560x1600 native resolution. A lot of games wont support that resolution and you'll find yourself spending time over at http://www.widescreengamingforum.com looking for workarounds and ini edits.
Nvidia's SLI minimum recommended PSU req which was 750w for 2 8800GTX's.

said:
Nvidia's SLI minimum recommended PSU req which was 750w for 2 8800GTX's.

Which is a very conservative recommendation. They expect people to "load up" a gaming system with all the other good stuff. Not many run SLI systems with budget parts. But you can find people running SLI 8800GTXs with 550w PSUs as long as they have the amps required. Amps are always more important than watts. Just so you know I'm not blowing smoke about your PSU requirements check out this review of the Dark Power Pro 1000Watt PSU On a system somewhat similar to yours (water cooled OC'd Q6600 and OC'd 8800GTX SLI, extra fans and lights). Under max load the peak power reqmts stayed under 600watts.

I know a lot of people figure - if people didnt need Kilowatt power supplies they wouldnt make them. Just for grins I decided to see what type of gaming system would actually need a Kilowatt PSU (there are some out there)
1078 watts using a AMD Quad 4x4 build
AMD FX-74(x2) 3.0 Ghz OC'd @ 3.2Ghz/ ASUS L1N64-SLI WS (dual socket 1207FX) nForce 680a SLI Motherboard
FX-74 vs Q6700 power reqmts

4GB DDR2 RAM
Crossfire x2 ATI HD 2900XT 1GB VRAM
2x 15kRPM SCSI HD
2x 7.2k SATA 3.0 HD
1 SSD DRAM HD + 1 Flash SSD HD
2 DVDRW/DVD+RW Drives
1 Blu-Ray drive
1 HD Audio PCI board
1 SCSI RAID PCI board
1 Physics PCI-x4 board
2 USB Devices + 1 Firewire device
Fan Controller + Front bay card reader + Front bay LCD Display
2 case lights Cold Cathode type
Thermaltake BigWater cooling kit + 2 relays
Thermaltake Aquabay M5
95% system load + 15% Capacitor aging

Beyond gaming systems there are heavy duty workstation builds that use dual (8 cores) or quad (16 cores) socket with Quad Core CPUs, large SCSI RAID arrays (8 15k HDs), multi-GPU workstation graphics cards and other exotic processing hardware.

nhobo[b said:
:

]nhobo:

[/b]Raptors in Raid are soooo last year! It's 15k RPM SCSI arrays for the power user. :whistle: 

I'm never against anyone spending their money the way they want. A little "bling" or a little "brag" they're OK too.
But being an informed consumer never goes out of style.

September 7, 2007 5:24:36 AM

WR2 said:
Ok a 6600 video card. I thought you meant a C2D E6600!
It's gonna make YOU a lot happier than us! Now that is a first class upgrade and it puts your money where it will do the most good IMO. Its really an outstanding display. 3 years ago you couldnt have touched that type of display quality for under $3500. The only "drawback" is the 2560x1600 native resolution. A lot of games wont support that resolution and you'll find yourself spending time over at http://www.widescreengamingforum.com looking for workarounds and ini edits.

Lol, sorry I didn't even think about the card processor names being the same (same thing will happen with the 9800 if thats what Nvidia decides to name it)

And I am going to be a lot happier about getting the Dell over the ViewSonic, I couldn't justify spending the amount I spent on the 30" on a good quality 24" or the 27" Samsung when the main prob's with the VS were ergonomics and aesthetics rather than actual performance quality. Finding the 30" Dell @ $450 cheaper than what Dell actually ships it out for I couldn't pass up, but unless I had found the Samsung for the same price drop % wise I simply couldn't bring myself to pay twice the amount of the VS for a bit of comfort and a tiny performance increase.

As to the power issue, I really do appreciate the effort you have put in there it has opened my eyes a lot as to what I might expect should I decide to upgrade.. its just again I didn't/don't want to spend $280 on the 850w and then later on find out I need to replace it with a 1000w along with whatever I might be choosing to consume that extra power. Plus although it has been used on quad system's without a hitch & is probably more used than the higher power PSU's in these types of systems, the 850w Thermaltake is "dual core ready" (it states it supports quad core) the 1000w and 1200w are "quad core ready"... probably just a marketing scheme (in fact I'm sure it is) but I like the sound of "Ready" rather than "Supported".... call me a newb as I am a bit out of touch and wouldn't deny the claim but its the way I am. LOL!!!

EDIT: Lesson 1 for newb's... never try to take in more than your squishy brain can handle... I read so many damn reviews lately I must have started to skim read, its quad "GPU" ready not quad core... lmao! looks like I will be opting for the 850w Truepower or something of that sort rather than the 1200w.. granted I still would like the option of upgrading to SLI G92's without hassle (without knowing their req. its still better to be safe than sorry), but it really moots my points on "Ready" over "supported"... oh well time for a mid-day nap and then a coffee methinks.

My only real decision problem at the moment is case and basically from information I have gathered that decision is made up by water cooling over air at the moment which I am still unsure of. Should I go for looks, it would be the NZXT case, air performance I believe the Antec 900 or Cooler Master Stacker which I can upgrade with water later on, budget mixed with performance would be the Kandalf LCS and finally upgrade possibilities with reliance would be the Lian Li cases (but I cannot say I am impressed with the looks of these cases). The Kandalf LCS I would buy the replacement side panel with the 25cm fan as at this point I will not be getting cooling upgrades for my 8800's and this should help cool down the entire case a little more.
September 7, 2007 5:34:22 AM

Just wait till Xmas time, when Nvidia has launched their newer stuff and Intel has there 45nm stuff in line, along with x38.
September 7, 2007 5:41:58 AM

T8RR8R said:
Just wait till Xmas time, when Nvidia has launched their newer stuff and Intel has there 45nm stuff in line, along with x38.

lol no ty, the waiting game has been played by me for long enough, sure you could say you waited this long, whats a few months but I have already purchased my 30" beast and don't want it lying around till xmas, plus theres always something newer and better around the corner, why wait, when what I can get now is more than enough and at a budget I can afford. I will not be disappointed if I bought the system I desire today and something twice as good comes out the next as that is the market of PC's.
September 7, 2007 6:45:35 AM

ZeroCool said:
lol no ty, the waiting game has been played by me for long enough, sure you could say you waited this long, whats a few months but I have already purchased my 30" beast and don't want it lying around till xmas, plus theres always something newer and better around the corner, why wait, when what I can get now is more than enough and at a budget I can afford. I will not be disappointed if I bought the system I desire today and something twice as good comes out the next as that is the market of PC's.

Holy moly, Did you copy this from one of my prior posts on another forum? However I do think that maybe getting a cheapo crapy GPU might be best until near Xmas. I know it sounds dumb but if you were looking for a GPU a few months back I'd say 8800GTX for sure but since it's so close do Nvidia launch time I don't see how you could not get screwed.
September 7, 2007 11:07:57 AM

GenericName said:

It's also cheaper

Lol I just realized one crucial difference between the 2... the ram support, the Striker has way more support for different ram modules.. looks like my Crucial Ballistix are out of the question if I buy this MB :( 

$100 extra for the Corsair Cas 4 ram or the same MB with more support for $150 extra is the question now... oh wait more trouble ahead..sigh.. only supports 2 slots of 1024 for the Corsair ram... I might end up switching back to the Striker if this keeps up or I might source the ram from another supplier but it could end up costing me the same as the Striker... just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this RAM:

Kingston HyperX RAM 1GB 800MHz DDR2 Low-Latency CL4 (4-4-4-12) DIMM (NVIDIA SLI-Ready) [KHX6400D2LLK2/1GN] I can get it @ $116AU a stick not including delivery.

If anyone can suggest something better from this list http://www.asus.com.au/610/download/products/1459/1459_10.pdf it would be greatly appreciated, but if this RAM isn't that great I might just end up going with my original STRIKER EXTREME and saving alot of chasing around :( 
September 7, 2007 12:36:27 PM

OCZ is good RAM - its what I threw in mine - Just reading the reviews on newegg about Strikers from users freaked me away from it. Just cross your fingers and hope you get a good board weather its the P5N32-e or the Striker
September 8, 2007 2:12:12 AM

GenericName said:
OCZ is good RAM - its what I threw in mine - Just reading the reviews on newegg about Strikers from users freaked me away from it. Just cross your fingers and hope you get a good board weather its the P5N32-e or the Striker

This is why, although I'm source limited because of it, I am getting it put together and tested at the store for me... I would prefer to buy from different locations, have them shipped to me saving a bit of dosh (maybe) and put it together myself (its fun putting together a PC like that) but it saves the problem of defective parts as they can swap it out at the store if there is a problem.

I think I have finally decided upon everything I will be buying now and I would like to thank everyone here for their assistance as I have really learned a lot of useful information and have been saved from making a few newbie mistakes.

I will post a pic or two and sys specs when I finally receive the new PC, I know it wont be much to look at and everyone would have seen the same thing before but I want to do it just as a ty so everyone can see what they helped me create. I should have it up and running within the next week and a half.
September 8, 2007 4:20:20 AM

Considering that the P5N32-E SLI and Striker Extreme have identical chipsets. Anything that works in the Striker should work in the P5N32-E. The Striker has a larger QVL probably as a marketing tool, and because the people that buy Strikers tend to be hard core, tough to satisfy overclockers.

To ease your mind about a 850W PSU handling the future GPUs its been a pretty predictable pattern over the years.
For example:
7950GX2 - 143W and requires at least a 400W power supply (27A on 12V)
8800GTX - 155W and requires at least a 450W power supply (28A on 12V)
The difference in processing power is usually coupled with using a smaller Fab process
with the new GPUs that keep the growth in power requirements in check. There is no way
the 850W unit should get maxed out in the next couple years.
I know I used a 95% system load factor in my High End Desktop spec for 850W consumption. But you'd have to be some type of maniac multi-tasker to even get near that factor. Who could keep those 3 HDs and 3 DVDs plus all the other components pulling max power at the same time? 70-75% is really heavy multi-tasking load factor which really leaves a lot of headroom in a 850W PSU. I know you're already aware that not all PSU have the same specs:
Antec TruePower Quatro 850 spec image Thermaltake Toughpower 850 spec image
You'll notice things like "peak power" and "max combined wattage". The +12v3 and +12v4 rails have 30Amps on the Toughpower vs 18Amps for the Quatro. If you're at all concerned about having enough juice for the next gen cards the Toughpower has an advantage, but both will get the job done easily.

September 8, 2007 5:07:09 AM

WR2 said:
Considering that the P5N32-E SLI and Striker Extreme have identical chipsets. Anything that works in the Striker should work in the P5N32-E. The Striker has a larger QVL probably as a marketing tool, and because the people that buy Strikers tend to be hard core, tough to satisfy overclockers.

Would the same Bios update work in both then ?
As the STRIKER in the downloads section has:

Version 1305 2007/08/27 update
Description Striker Extreme BIOS version 1305
1. Enhance CPU overclock capability of FSB1333 processors
2. Add new CPU uCode to support new processors
3. Enhance memory compatibility
4. Enhance overclocking capability
5. Enable support for ASUS SK-2690 keyboard
6. Enable support for Razer Copperhead USB Mouse

And the P5N32-E SLI has:

Version 1205 2007/08/27 update
Description P5N32-E SLI BIOS version 1205
1. Enhance overclocking capability
2. Enable support for ASUS SK-2690 keyboard
3. Enable support for Razer Copperhead USB Mouse
4. Added CPU UCode to support new processors
5. Enhance memory compatibility
6. Finetune Q'Fan operation algorithm

Support for the Razer is fantastic seen as thats the mouse I plan on purchasing (both have the support in the latest update), but both versions are different version #. Does the chipset have any bearing on Bios ?
September 9, 2007 3:43:03 PM

ZeroCool said:
Would the same Bios update work in both then ?
Does the chipset have any bearing on Bios ?
Unless you can find specific guidance in the Asus forums it's probably not a good idea to use anything other than updates listed for each board. While both boards use the same basic Nvidia 680i chipset any minor engineering changes between boards (like Striker's LCD display) mean its BIOS updates may not work in other boards. I know it looks like the Striker and P5N32-E SLI BIOS updates are running in parallel but what you do not see is any prior differences that make them incompatible. My comment had more to do with what memory would work in the boards - why one memory module is listed in QVL for one version but not the other. QVL means tested & confirmed support, not on QVL just means not tested - it doesnt mean not compatible.

If you get to watch your shop prepping and building your system it will be interesting to see if your tech starts out with 2GB RAM installed or goes with 4GB installed from the start. Some systems with 4GB have trouble with the initial Vista installs. The solution is install Vista with 2GB, update Vista with all the current hotfixs and then install the other 2GB or RAM.

!