Some questions about P5K-E overclocking specs

cfcblaster

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Hello guys.

Thats my first thread in this forum and it is just for a specific doubt.

Im building a new pc and i'm very decided to buy a P5K-E. In its specs, in the manual (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5K-E/WIFI-AP), there is some informations about FSB that i don't now (or dont want to believe) if this mobo can really get there.

Look that:

"SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection)

- FSB Tunning from 200Mhz up to 800Mhz"
- Memory tunning from 800Mhz to 1600Mhz"

This infos are in page 12 from the manual.

Is this really possible running the mobo at the stock configs and components?

Will I have to make some physical modification?

Is there someone here that obtained a FSB above 475mhz?

I want to overclock an E4300. In general, is this mobo a good overclocking product?

cosmicc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Hey there,
I don't know how much help this is,
but I have a P5K-SE which from what I've heard is fairly the same as the P5K-E. So far, my overclocking has gone good, I overclocked a core 2 duo 6550 to 2.8ghz no problem, I can go much further with it too. I chose this motherboard because a bunch of my friends all had really good experiences in OC'ing on it, and, its goin good for me too. So in general, I'd have to say its a pretty good OC'ing board. As far as physical modifications, I've never heard of having to do anything like that. And I'd say with proper cooling, you could get a good FSB of 475.
-Hope that helps

doubletake33

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Mazair,

some newegg reviews are stating that the FSB is locked at either 1:1 or 1:2 ratio with the memory. is this the case with your setup?

i will have my P5K-E tommorow and am wondering because this will seriously limit my overclock pending the strenght of the ram.

i will be pairing it with a e6550 and 2gigs of OCZ titaniums at 3,4,4,15 and want to overclock only the proc to fsb-1600 to make it 1:1 with ddr2 800 (1600) speed.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
You all need to post overclocking stuff in the OCing section. There are quite a few of us there with P5K-Es that don't read this section.

Doubletake - Neweggers are retarded. There are a bunch of options for use. 400 MHz FSB + 800 MHz DDR2 is easy.. there is even a 3:4 for 400 MHz FSB + 1066 MHz DDR2.

You can enter values from 200-800 MHz FSB, but it's not going to run it. ANY board right now has a hard time once you push over 450 MHz FSB.

If you find DDR2-1600 let me know.

I'm Maziar not Mazair mate :) but no problem :)

Well i dont think its locked, because i have set the RAMs @ 712 ( i think its 712 or something like that ) and the timings are 4-4-4-15 and the FSB : DRAM is 1:1

doubletake33

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
@ cnumartyr
well...it looks like neweggers are retarded! that retardedness almost stopped me from getting this beutiful mobo!

@Maziar
sorry for the mispell! i looked closely at your name and still came up with....."air" LOL