LCD doesn't display correct resolution?

NoodleTech

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
I built my friend a computer just last week. He has been using a VGA cable to connect his monitor to his graphics card for the time being until I could get him a DVI cable. Well I purchased a DVI cable and I brought it to his house and connected his video card to his monitor. His monitor is a Samsung 941BW and the graphics card is an eVGA 7600GT. He is using the latest forceware drivers.

This is where I ran into problems. The monitor's native resolution is 1440x900. The resolution was set to 1440x900 ever since I installed windows. When I switched to the DVI cable, the display showed part of the desktop and I had to move my mouse to the edge of the screen to see the rest. Also, the icons were somewhat blurry. So I go into the monitor's configuration menu and I press auto adjust and it said "not available" or "unable to adjust" or something like that. I dig deeper into the monitor's menu and it says that the current resolution is 1280x960. When I switch back to VGA, everything is fine.

What could be the problem here? I am thinking I bought him a defective monitor, a defective graphics card, DVI cable is the wrong type, or even possibly a defective motherboard? Please help me out. Thanks.