Sign in with
Your question

As I look at the change in sockets that Nehalem will bring...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 10, 2007 3:10:17 AM

...I worry. I was planning on building a new computer, as I've finally saved up enough money. My current rig was build just before Intel switched to 775, as well as before new motherboards came with PCI-E. So I'm running with a P4 @ 3.2, and an ATI 9800XT. Blazing, I know. I'm rather leery about getting burned again with lack of upgrade options, because if Intel switches to Socket B, I'm going to be left without a gradual upgrade path, the same way I was with my current rig, and I'm trying to avoid that. I guess I'm not really asking a technical question, but more of an opinion one: Am I right? Should I be waiting for Nehalem, which is nearly a full year away, before building a new system, or should buy now.
September 10, 2007 3:27:58 AM

I think you should ask yourself if you can put up with a P4 in a full years time?

Now is not a bad time to buy a new machine C2D are still strong will be changing to 45nm soon but nothing over the top and most new boards will handle the 45nm's. x38 is comming out soon and the 8800 series along with the 2900's are getting better with driver age and DX10 is in its infancy.

IMO if you have the money now buy something good now to last you throught till maybe a while after the nehalem release which will bring more stability.

How often are you going to upgrade?
September 10, 2007 3:46:46 AM

What exactly do you use your computer for? Is there anything that you're using it for that it's not running properly? I mean I'm still running on an Athlon XP 3000+ with a 9800 Pro! Since I'm not in a desperate need to upgrade now, there's no reason to do it. Same with you. Are you in need to upgrade? I'm waiting for something big. I thought about building a q6600 system, but why? There's nothing really that I'm doing that will use that kind of power, so it will become bragging rights basically.
Related resources
September 10, 2007 6:27:26 AM

Ofcourse there is nothing that you are doing that will use that kind of power, beacuse you don't have that kind of power to do things with.
September 10, 2007 6:51:48 AM

If we look back historically at Intel's socket changes, it becomes evident that it does not pay to be an early adopter. Every socket since socket 7 has undergone a significant revision (or in the case of socket 423, a mass abortion) before reaching EOL. There really is no great time to buy into Intel's platforms. Too early or too late can both end up leaving you in a situation where you cannot upgrade further.
September 10, 2007 7:00:41 AM

thats why you buy what you need when you need it. future proof is a myth.
September 10, 2007 7:57:34 AM

there are alternatives to intel, if youre open to them... otherwise you pretty much are pinned to their release and update cycles, as it being pointed out... whereas considering alternatives will at least give you more options.
September 10, 2007 10:50:47 AM

I looked at AMD, but their AM2+/AM3 plan seems identical to Intel's 775/1336, just with different pin numbers.
September 10, 2007 6:45:50 PM

I totally agree with the why wait thing, and I guess I really shouldn't, since I'm not a frequent upgrader. Its just...being left with a system that I'll be completely incapable of upgrading really annoys me.
September 10, 2007 7:25:12 PM

I would wait for 1-2 Weeks for the X38 Mobo release with the PCIE-II slots. But from what I read, these mobos will be $200+ to start.

If you are planning on laying out that type of dough on a Mobo Wait.
If not, then go ahead.
Personally, I would not layout that kind of dough.

Buy a "Good System" now and upgrade over time.
If you try to buy over the top parts, you are going to pay through the nose for them and likely not have funds to upgrade to new reasonably priced parts in the future.
September 10, 2007 7:40:03 PM

joefriday said:
If we look back historically at Intel's socket changes, it becomes evident that it does not pay to be an early adopter. Every socket since socket 7 has undergone a significant revision (or in the case of socket 423, a mass abortion) before reaching EOL. There really is no great time to buy into Intel's platforms. Too early or too late can both end up leaving you in a situation where you cannot upgrade further.

Actually, Intel is much better in that regard then it used to be. There are already P965 chipset with 45nm cpu certified mobo available. Even my asus P5B Deluxe mobo will support 45 nm with a bios update.

About the question, Nehalem won't work with present mobo if only for the fact that it'll have on-die memory controller working with "Quickpath" or CSI. Same thing happenned with A64 (replacing AthlonXP) for the same reasons.

But upcoming 45 nm, cpu should work without any problems in any top manufacturer mobo. You can expect at least a year until Nehalem class cpu from Intel get released, so it's not so bad. Like zenmaster said, get a "decent but not expensive" C2D E6600 or even 6400 and replace it in 12-18 months with a "low priced" 45nm quad-core cpu that'll keep you powerful enough to last another 2 years. Penryn class cpu will be available at least 6-12 months after Nehalem gets release. Just like Pentium D, still available in some store. You get them dirty cheap, and it'll be the same with tomorrows C2Q @ 45nm.

This was my point of view.
September 10, 2007 9:58:31 PM

Fair enough, I'll just get some new stuff when Penryn comes out. Which should be fairly soon, yes? Considering Intel said they were releasing it around Barcelona's flop, which is now, it should be coming out soon...
September 10, 2007 10:18:51 PM

Also, you need to figure that even though the chips may come out in a year, It will take another year or so for them to hit that price/performance sweet spot that has made the q6600 the cheap to have this summer. Buy now and plan on at least two years of solid performance.
September 10, 2007 10:59:59 PM

djcoolmasterx - I think there is an opening still at AMD afer Henri Richards stepped down before Barcelona, and bring your logo samples too! Like my new sig? I LOVE IT!!!
!