Hard drives not getting detected...

UnrealChrisG

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I have 2 hard drives, a 200gb SATA drive and a 120gb IDE drive, I have just recently got some major problems with the 200gb SATA drive, it causes my computer to freeze on the very first screen, since I couldn't find out how to fix it I just took it out and put my old 120GB IDE hard drive in, for some odd reason it doesn't get detected unless I manually enter the bios and then let wait for a bit, then when it gets detected save and exit the bios and it boots fine. But it gets annoying having to do this every single time I turn on my computer, is there any way to fix this? Also, if any one could think of an idea to fix my 200GB SATA that would be really helpful, Thanks.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
In the BIOS check your hdd settings making sure the ATA drive is Number 1, etc. It's possible that your mobo if older has SATA 1.5 connectors and the hdd is 3.0. If this is the case, you may have to change the jumpers. Instructions should be on the hdd web site. Listing the mfg and model of your mobo and hdd would be helpful

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
You may also want to check the HDDs jumper setting.

Maybe it's set to cable select, master, or if it's a western digital drive and there's nothing else on the cable then you should leave the jumper off all together.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

On SATA drives the jumpers are for 3.0 or 1.5, SATAs don't have Master, Cable Select, or Slave. The above would apply to an ATA drive

UnrealChrisG

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I have a P23G PC CHIPS motherboard, the 200gb is a maxtor 7200 sata 150, the 120gb IDE hard drive I don't know theres no sticker, I can't tell where the jumpers are suppose to go for the IDE hard drive since theres no guide, if I plug in the 200GB SATA drive and try to go into the bios it freezes and I have to turn of the computer. I tried booting it with that the only thing in the computer(except the essentials) and it still didn't work and it froze.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

The hdd mfg(s)' web site should have the jumper settings for the hdds