Help With my Zalman 9700

amk21

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Long time reader first time poster. I recently purchased the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020 for my AMD Opteron 185, not knowing that it required a 4 pin power connector, my motherboard only supports a three pin connector. So my question is should i return my Heat sink and purchase a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019 which i believe that it is the same besides it comes with a 3 pin connector. And finally is there a 4 pin to three pin converter that i would be able to purchase. I looked on newegg and other various sites for such a converter, but i could not locate one. Thanks for any input or opinions you may have to share.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I'd wait for a second opinion, but I believe you can still use it on a 3 pin motherboard. I think the 4th pin is to allow you to control the fan speed. Like I said though, I'm not 100% this is true, but I'll do some research and check it out.

amk21

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I found this article that that i believe backs up you presumption.http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012074.htm
It appears that a 4 pin heat sink and fan is backwards compatible with 3 pin motherboards. I will lose the ability to control my fan speed via a gui in windows, but i can still control it in the bios. Not sure about this information but it seems to make some sense.

weegeebored

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Well I made a noob mistake and purchased the Zalman 9700 LED version for a brand new build and I have the same problem as amk21. Well, actually worse as I already installed the Zalman. (I said it was a noob mistake.) I can tell you that on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R connecting the 3-pin Zalman connector to the MB's 4-pin does not work as the cooler fan does not spin. The cooler is not defective as I've hooked it up to a 3-pin connector on the board and it works fine. The system starts up but after a couple of seconds it will shut down. I'm assuming that the default "Smart Fan" bios setting checks to see if there is indeed a CPU fan connected to the 4-pin and will shut down if it doesn't find one. Under my current situation, I can't get in to the bios to turn off the Smart Fan feature.

I can think of two possible solutions but neither of them thrill me too much. One, I could remove the Zalman, connect the stock Intel heatsink/fan (4-pin connector), boot into the bios, and then turn off the Smart Fan feature. Then, I could (try to) reconnect the Zalman and hope that the new bios setting will let the Zalman fan spin. But, wouldn't that leave me in a situation that if the Zalman fails the MB wouldn't shut the system down and I would fry the CPU?

The second solution is a variation of the first. Just connect the stock cooler without uninstalling/disconnecting the Zalman and hope that this allows me to boot into the bios and change the settings as above. I would still have the same potential problem, though.

I know that there are a bunch of experienced people here. :) Can someone think of another alternative? BTW, emails to Zalman have gotten me zero replies.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
The fourth lead is for Pulse Width Modulation control of the fan. I've had a 3-lead fan plugged into my 4 pin header, it's not a big deal.

Look for voltage control of the CPU fan rather than PWM control. Not sure where to look on your board.

weegeebored

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Well, I chose my 2nd option and and just connected the stock HSF to the 4-pin CPU fan header, and also connected the Zalman to a 3-pin fan header so that the CPU would be cooled. That did indeed allow me to get into the bios, and from there I disabled the Smart Fan feature. From all of the things that I have read, including rgeist554's reply here and the Intel support page, connecting the Zalman 3-pin connector to the 4-pin header should have worked, albeit with the fan at a constant full speed. That wasn't an issue because of the Fan Mate speed controller included with the 9700. However...

...the 9700's fan still won't spin up when plugged into the 4-pin header. The Gigabyte board also has a 2nd 4-pin fan header, so for snicks and giggles I tried connecting the 9700 to that one with the same no-go result. So it looks like the only way to get the 9700 LED model to work on the GA-P35-DS3R is via a 3-pin header.

I hope this helps people with a similar problem, but if someone has an alternative that would be great.