Compatability, OLD drives and where to buy?

MJuric

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
My "Server" blew up today or at least I'm pretty sure it did.

The system has an Adaptec SCSI card and it no longer recognizes the Boor drive, so doesn't boot. Drive spins up so it's not completely dead, but I'm assuming something blew up that would make it not visible to the card, correct?

That being said it does see all the other drives including a RAID 5 array and a stand alone drive as well. Switching the connection around didn't fix it so again I'm assuming the drive is dead...but stranger things have happened to if you have some insight on something like this feel free to share.

Next the drives are all 18GB, Fast Wide SCSI, 68 pin. Where would one locate something like that today. My goal is to just get another drive, reinstall the OS and drives and pray like hell the main array comes up.

There's a few 68 pin drives on Newegg but they're all 10-15K drives for 400+ dollars and I don't need that, and am not sure the Ultra320 is even compatible with my card. I would like to just get a similar cheapy temporary drive but can't seem to find anyone that sells them.

However I do need it FAST.

Any help appreciated.

~Matt

Looks like you are out of luck man. Those drives are OLD and they don't make those any more (i think) so there for the prices are high. This is the same thing happening with DDR RAM which is now at a higher cost than DDR2 (per $/MB). Do you know any one that uses smiler drives? If so you might be able to borrow one. Thats why I always recommend that you upgrade to the latest technology when you see that the technology you have is getting out dated.