Issues with application of Arctic ceramique

stackoverflow

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
Hello,

I am using arctic ceramique with C2D E6300 and stock HSF.
I followed the instructions on arctic's site, but still my idle temps are in the region of 45C-47C (ambient temp being 25C approx.)

With stock thermal pad my idle temps were 37C-40C (I had to clean my HSF as it was full of dust, hence need for ceramique.)

I just wanted to know if there are different techniques to apply ceramique.
How to apply thinnest layer?

Rgds,

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
It always works great for me, but even a little too much really decreases it's performance, and it takes a couple of heating & cooling cycles before it settles down. Did you get all of the old pad off, and make sure there wasn't any solvent left behind?

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Go to www.arcticsilver.com
There, they have specific instructions on how to install their products. I believe that in this case, they would have you use the "grain of rice" method. Also, most thermal pastes need a "break in" period. In that time, the temperatures seem to drop a bit. If you need more help, just ask.
Best of Luck

stackoverflow

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

I have followed their instructions to the T. still no improvement.
Can somebody please help me.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Ok. I'm not doubting that you are doing this correctly, but just to make sure, check that you used the instructions from this page. http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/cmq/ins_cmq_intel_dual_wcap.pdf
If that was what you used, there are several other problems that could be your cause.
1. You have a warped heat spreader.
2. You have a warped heatsink.
3. Your mounting brackets are not pushed in all the way.

Okay.
The first think i would do is remove the motherboard, processor, and heatsink. Clean off all thermal paste. Then, make sure to seat the processor correctly in the socket. (nothing is obstructing it) After that, apply the thermal paste as shown on the page I have provided. Make sure that the pins that hold the heatsink are pushed in ALL the way. I have been told that this is somewhat difficult at times, so make sure. If this does not work, you likely have a warped heatsink or heatspreader....in which case, the only real solution is to lap the heatsink.

Remember, more thermal paste is NOT better.

Again, post back your results.

Best of luck

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Was the heatsink really hard to remove? It could have warped the heat spreader when you pulled it. Or, I had an A64 3700 that came with a warped heatsink - worked fine with the THICK layer of factory paste - ran hot as Hell after the paste was replaced. Eventually bought a Zalman and that fixed it.