Sign in with
Your question

Geforce 8800 = Best it will EVER get for DX9

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 24, 2007 8:27:23 AM

Now... What I mean is... I'm sure for the next year or two there will still be several people who will be continuing to use XP therefore will not have DX10 capabilities (until further notice), and we're quite certain that most games will be offered in DX9 mode... But has DX9 pretty much peak out?

Its obvious that the 8800's rips through your current DX9 games so will this be sure for our newer games that will be available in DX9.

Also for those who are running Vista and the 8800, do you HAVE to play games in DX10 mode or do you also get a DX9 option as well. I have Vista but I do not own a DX10 card nor do I have any games that support it, so I do apologize if thats just a ridiculous question.

More about : geforce 8800 dx9

September 24, 2007 9:18:37 AM

I'm sure develper wont risk making a Vista DX10 only game for at least another of couple of years. Unless they get Microsoft compensation, their profits will be at risk as many people will still be using XP.

I dont think DX10 is forced in Vista.
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 24, 2007 11:12:33 AM

u can play with DX9 under vista and 8800 , but xp has a better gaming performance , also dx9 and dx10 doesnt have alot of difference in todays games ,

i have xp64+vista 32 and the only game i played with vista was halo2 , all of them were under xp 64 , also i made a BIOSHOCK DX9 vs DX10 benchmark:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/244646-15-bioshock-...

FPS is XP was better , also i had a better experience with it
Related resources
September 24, 2007 11:24:39 AM

Maziar said:
u can play with DX9 under vista and 8800 , but xp has a better gaming performance , also dx9 and dx10 doesnt have alot of difference in todays game

While this is true, the gap gets smaller with each new driver and hotfix. I would guess that by the time SP1 is released for Vista, the difference between the two operating systems will be negligible.

As for the original post, I think it's a safe bet that Nvidia's and ATI's new high end cards will be faster than their current offerings in DX9. Can't be sure, but I can't think of a reason why not.
September 24, 2007 11:32:15 AM

Because they still want to make money? You can't advertise as "the fastest" if it's only fast in DirectX10.
September 24, 2007 12:18:38 PM

As someone who runs WINE under Linux to play DX9 games, I had to head over to their site this weekend to resolve a problem I was having and while I was reading there they mentioned that in the future it may be possible to play DX10 games under Windows XP in DX10 mode using WINE... now I'm just the messenger so don't shoot me!
September 24, 2007 12:55:50 PM

That would be awesome. I currently have XP but have been toying with making the switch to Linux for some time now. It seems the more I read about vista, the less I like it. What version of linux are you running?
September 24, 2007 1:37:05 PM

for those of you said xp has better gaming performance, well it is true but difference is not something should hold any gamers to switch to vista. as right now some of the new games run better on vista, but then again the difference is small either ways.
September 24, 2007 3:34:17 PM

rodney_ws said:
As someone who runs WINE under Linux to play DX9 games, I had to head over to their site this weekend to resolve a problem I was having and while I was reading there they mentioned that in the future it may be possible to play DX10 games under Windows XP in DX10 mode using WINE... now I'm just the messenger so don't shoot me!

nope, I'm pretty sure thats incorrect, while they may be able to emulate SOME parts of dx10, I'm pretty sure that they can't completely have it in xp (there have been discussions on this before)
!