Write Errors on Flash Sticks & SD Cards

chris18

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I have 2 x 1Gb USB memory keys I bought from Staples and a 2GB SD card. Thewy are Staples own brand manufactured by intuix (www.intuix.net). My main reason was for storing a large number of jpeg images for playback on my digital photo frame. I am also using one stick just for general data storage and because the files are less I haven't had a problem with this.

I have found however that all is not so simple because if I try to write multiple files I find that after so many I get an error saying that the file or folder cannot be created. The point at which this happens seems to vary. The only way so far that i have found to be able to achieve what I want is to copy a complete folder to the root, although I'm not sure this will work everytime.

I did contact Intuix but they haven't had the courtesy to even acknowledge my message.

I have been browsing for info and there seem to quite a few people who have come across the same issue. Quite a few solutions for the SD card centre on using the card with digital cameras so do not apply to Windows. For the rest I haven't been able to find any definitive answer although it does seem it could have something to do with the maximum number of files/folders that can be created from the root directory when using FAT32, which what the cards are set for. I should mention I haven't been able to format them to NTFS through the normal Windows process.

I just been looking at eBay and see there are 8GB sticks for sale now and I wondered if anyone had come across the problem and if so if they managed to find a way around it. There seems little point getting a high capacity device if it can't be used to it's full potential.

Thanks

chris18

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
My apologies, I 've just noticed my earlier post on the same topic, I had forgotten I'd posted originally. I'd still be interested to know peoples views on the 8GB stick but if the moderators want to delete this post then please feel free.