Access Denied; Fudged Permission

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
So, today I made a silly mistake. I have a user on my account named "User" (made it in a hurry so my girlfriend could use my laptop w/o having to enter a password constantly... anywho). I was setting permissions to my D:\ drive (which is a partition of my C:\ drive) so that "User" was denied all privileges to this drive. However, instead of selecting User after adding it, I denied "Users." As you may know this is a problem, since my main account and the admin account is a part of "Users". So, whenever I try to access it on my admin account (and the ACTUAL admin account), it says Access is Denied.

I've tried a few things, like trying to access it through the network, which failed, tried setting permissions through the command prompt and through safe mode, etc.

Is there anyway for me to get around this so I can set the permissions to this D:\ drive again to regrant access to Users?

I haven't tried command prompt in safe mode as admin through admin, but I don't think that will make a difference...

Also, I am on Windows Vista Home Premium. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried changing the permissions while using the ADMIN acount in safe mode ? (since that ADMIN account should always have full permission to everything) If all else fails could try using system restore to go back to a point before you made the changes if it was recently.

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Okay, so I was able to fix it. I had to go into safe mode as administrator (administrator account) and set the administrator account as the owner of the partition in order to set the security options again. Somehow I was able to do that and nothing else XD!