The Dead Man

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Ya I've got a 320 gig Segate & I just got a 500gig Segate today.

I don't want to raid them, I just want to use the 320 as my main drive & use the 500gig
for backing up my PC info & store all my music & movies on it.

How do I go about doing this, lol I know this is a dumb question but I'm kinda new too using sata.

Been using an old dino for far way to long.

So do I just put it in the case like I was doing with my ides or am I going to have to ftp into my hdd, or something.

My buddy isn't home yet from work so I cant ask him & his wife lol is way too controlling of him poor guy is
B whipped, she takes all his money. lol

& I didn't want an external hdd cause cause of my nieces friends would swipe it for everyone uses my PC
so I will try & get the old dino to work for them to use so their not using my good 1.

Thanks for your info. I know more about building them than running them, lol only know some of the basics.

The Dead Man

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Ya I got a question I installed my hard drive.

My 320 gig sata2 was my first 1.

I just hooked up my 500gig sata2, it is registered in the bios, but
it is not showing up in the my computer menu in windows xp. & it
did say that new hard ware was found in bottom right corner.

Can someone please give me some info back appreciate it.

Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
It likely need formatted. Go into Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computers Management, Disk Management and format it or run the new disk installation program from the hdd mfg website

The Dead Man

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Question how do u formatt it in disk management.

when I right click on that drive I see, New volume & convert to basic disk.

What do I do to format this drive to get it too work.

Thanks.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
It would be better to CLONE to the newer/faster drive and use the old one for extra storage.

Befor you do that run chkdsk,clean out the registry with regcleaner,defrag the registry,defrag the page file,use Ultimate Defrag to gather all files into the folders,defrag the folders,move the folders to the INSIDE of the HD,then place the OS on the OUTSIDE of the HD and then...do a HD defrag.
Sounds like work (it is and takes a few hours) but you will see how fast everything runs after that.
Now CLONE the HD to the new one.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Down load the install/diagnostic/repair from the hdd's mfg web site. If you have a floppy, use that. If not, look for instructions for using a flash drive or CD