Shutdown and Can't go past Post

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I had my computer running stable at 3.33ghz on a Q6700 for 2 months and then this week I've had 2 failures. First, my computer shutdown for now reason and I had to restart and the bios was reset. My mobo has that feature when you OC to much it clears the cmos. Then today, I restarted and it would get past post, I couldn't get into the bios or anything. I let it sit for 5 minutes and of course the cmos was cleared and well here I am. The only change I made to the system was putting my two HDD's in a Raid 0 and re-installed my OS's. I also had to take out 1 stick of ram bkz of Vista's limiitation with installing and 4gb of ram. Could any of that had caused this.

Here are my specs

GA-P35-DQ6
Q6700 @ 3.33ghz (333*10)
Patriot Extreme DDR2-800 2x2gb 5-5-5-12
2x400gb Seagate HDD in Raid 0
OCZ GameExtreme 600w PSU
Vista Ultimate 64 and XP Pro 32

Should I have run Prime95 again, I figured since it was only setting up Raid I wouldn't need to, but I will and let it run overnight. PLEASE HELP...

Dave

kez1304

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Might be a lack of voltage somewhere around, have you tried upping it a little on the various different places?

And when you say "Then today, I restarted and it would get past post", do you mean "wouldn't"?

Also are the temps still okay while in Prime95? You haven't loosened your heatsink or CPU power cable or anything while fiddling inside the case?

I'm just trying to get a feel for what you've tried already to solve the potential problem.

Also have you had anymore problems? (could've just been a freak day in many [if you see what i mean])

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Yea, sorry for the typo, I mean't wouldn't. I didn't get close to the HSF or power cable when I touched the ram. I'm Prime95 now and my temps are btw 60c-69c. But when all this happened, I had CoreTemp up and it was in the 40c-45c range (I have a zalman 9700 for cooling) Temps are a little high, but my room temp gets in the mid to high 70s, so unless I open the windows, I can't help that. I tried upping the CPU and Memory voltage to 1.4v and 2.2v and it ran fine, but it also ran fine at 1.36v and 2.13v. The only freak thing that happened was about 2 weeks ago there was a power failure and my computer wouldn't go back on for a while after power was restored. I have a Surge protector, but do you think it was some sort of power spike?

Thanks.