Best Solution for Testing a HD?

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I encountered a few problems with a new build, and I am trying to test all my components to figure out what (if anything) was the culprit.

Is there something out there that will test the HD not for speed but for accuracy?

Thanks in advance.

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Unfortunately, the good people at Seagate have not designed a tool that is compatible with Vista 64.

Does anyone know of an alternative?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Download the .iso image and burn it to CD, or the floppy image.

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
No floppy... but I had just found the ISO version on SeaTool for DOS. I got it to work no problems.

Did a full scan and it passed, so I'm not sure what my problem was. I'll guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

omahagtp

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Oh, man. Are you in luck. I swear by this program.

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

It will do a sector check of each sector, it's read speed, and also check for bad sectors. We use it all the time at my work, I don't think I could say enough good things about it.

Burn it as bootable iso. Select the drive you want to test. Type 'scan' then hit 'ctrl+enter' at the same time. Bam.

They make a GUI version of it called HDDSCAN also available on that site. It's not bad at all, but I definitely recommend the bootable version of MHDD.

It has a lot of other applications I have yet to test as well. For instance, if you have a bad sector, and you're SOL as it is, you can cut the partitions up to that sector, and see if you can plug it in via USB and have it recognize, etc. Good stuff.

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008

If full check by Physical scan in your disktool disk and with Pass result, your HDD should be OK. Tell us what is your problems on your new system, sometimes it would be just setting problem in new system.