How to remove Shell Extensions

I have ACDSee installed on my XP Pro computer. Everytime I right-click on a
file (any file, for that matter), one of the choices is "Browse with ACDSee".
I want to remove this from the list. I tried running ShellExView but this
particular program knows how to hide itself and does not show on the list
(probably purposely designed by ACDSee). Anyone know an easy way to remove
this annoying shell extension? Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about remove shell extensions

    Backup your registry, in case things go wrong.

    Then, search the registry for the "EXACT" text in the drop down list. When
    you find it, delete it out. Try the drop down again. It should be gone
    without a reboot.

    Example: Drop down = "Browse With Paint Shop Pro 9"

    Search for the text string and delete it. Close regedit.

    It works for me (-:

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have ACDSee installed on my XP Pro computer. Everytime I right-click on
    > file (any file, for that matter), one of the choices is "Browse with
    > ACDSee".
    > I want to remove this from the list. I tried running ShellExView but this
    > particular program knows how to hide itself and does not show on the list
    > (probably purposely designed by ACDSee). Anyone know an easy way to
    > remove
    > this annoying shell extension? Thanks in advance.

    What makes you think it's a shell extension? Where is it on the menu.

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D06F600-258E-4924-8748-FF2E1626E612@microsoft.com...
    >I have ACDSee installed on my XP Pro computer. Everytime I right-click on a
    > file (any file, for that matter), one of the choices is "Browse with ACDSee".
    > I want to remove this from the list. I tried running ShellExView but this
    > particular program knows how to hide itself and does not show on the list
    > (probably purposely designed by ACDSee). Anyone know an easy way to remove
    > this annoying shell extension? Thanks in advance.

    Have you tried removing it in the Registry with Regedit?
    Look at this key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Browse with ACDSee

    You might do a search see if there are any others.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, "Frank"
    <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have ACDSee installed on my XP Pro computer. Everytime I right-click on a
    >file (any file, for that matter), one of the choices is "Browse with ACDSee".
    > I want to remove this from the list. I tried running ShellExView but this
    >particular program knows how to hide itself and does not show on the list
    >(probably purposely designed by ACDSee). Anyone know an easy way to remove
    >this annoying shell extension? Thanks in advance.

    >> particular program knows how to hide itself and does not show on the list

    It's not a shell extension then.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have ACDSee installed on my XP Pro computer. Everytime I right-click on
    > file (any file, for that matter), one of the choices is "Browse with
    > ACDSee".
    > I want to remove this from the list. I tried running ShellExView but this
    > particular program knows how to hide itself and does not show on the list
    > (probably purposely designed by ACDSee). Anyone know an easy way to
    > remove
    > this annoying shell extension? Thanks in advance.

    Alan and Richard, thank you! Your suggestions worked beautifully. I did a
    registry search using the exact wording and found about 6 instances which I
    deleted. Now my drop-down choices are the way I want them. Thanks again!

    Glad you're happy now.

    --

    > Alan and Richard, thank you! Your suggestions worked beautifully. I did
    > registry search using the exact wording and found about 6 instances which
    > deleted. Now my drop-down choices are the way I want them. Thanks again!

Extension Windows XP