Upgrading ram, help with dual channel info

kipd1

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Hey everyone, I have a pretty simple question to ask you all. I have a p4 3.0 and I am getting ready to upgrade my ram. I currently have 512mb(256mb x 2) of PQI turbo ddr 400 3200 running in dual channel mode and plan to add 2gb(1gb x 2) of A-DATA Vitesta ddr 400 3200. So, now with the specs out of the way, here are my questions.

1. Can I opt to not run in dual channel mode and run both the 512mb of PQI along with the 2gb of A-data ram?
2. Would it be faster to just get rid of the pqi 512mb and run the 2gb of the A-data ram in dual channel?
3. Am I missing something here, would there be a better way to config this ram than what I posted?

Thanks for your time, any help would be greatly appreciated

P.S. Also looking for a decent video card at around the $150 price range, any suggestions?

Can I opt to not run in dual channel mode and run both the 512mb of PQI along with the 2gb of A-data ram?

If your MB will run 2 x 1gb plus 2 x 512, yes it should run the 3 GB, but until you try it you won't know if any problem occurs. May not run the 4 mixed DIMMS at 400 mhz and default to 333 mhz. for example.

Would it be faster to just get rid of the pqi 512mb and run the 2gb of the A-data ram in dual channel?

That's what I would do if it ran at 400 mhz in dual channel without problems.

Am I missing something here, would there be a better way to config this ram than what I posted?

What suits your needs 3 GB in single channel running at possibly 333 mhz. or 2 GB in dual channel at 400 mhz. Just try out the combinations until you have what is best for your needs.

kipd1

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Thanks for responding badge. After I get the ram installed an mess around with the different possibilities, I'll give an update to my recent post.

Thanks again