Sign in with
Your question

Will Accelero S1 fit on a Visiontek x1950pro?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 24, 2007 6:22:21 PM

I have a Visiontek x1950pro AGP card and because it has no temp sensor the fan runs at full speed all the time and it's loud as hell! So I am looking at replacing it with something. I think I am going to go with the Accelero S1 passive cooler and maybe add a slow fan to it. Reviews seem to rate it as good or better than the HR-03 and it's cheaper.

Anyways, I have read about many problems of overheating Voltage Regulation Modules on the x1950pro's when replacing the stock heatsink. The Accelero S1 comes with a special heatsink for the VRM on the x1950pro's but my Visiontek card looks different than the pictures on the Accelero site. Does anyone here have a Visiontek x1950pro (or similar card) with the S1 mounted to it? Or does the Visiontek card not even need to use the little VRM heat spreader? I can't tell where the VRM is on this card.

Here is the Visiontek card...
http://goodblimey.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/Window...

And here is the Accelero S1...
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=138&data=7&d...

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

September 24, 2007 7:23:13 PM

To my knowledge, the VisionTek version doesn't use the VRM approach that some of the other manufacturers use. I researched long and hard before I decided to go with the VisionTek X1950 Pro (GeCube's version by the way is identical). VisionTek and GeCube both decided to eschew the use of VRMs and with that decision sacrificed temperature monitoring and fan speed adjustment. On the other hand, VisionTek seems to have fewer returns and is apparently a more "stable" design. And although VisionTek offers a limited lifetime warranty which others do not, I doubt very seriously they would honor an RMA caused by the installation of an after-market HSF, and I have read horror stories regarding the installation of these after-market HSFs. Many do not go very well, a few do (with regard to the X1950s) . It's a roll of the dice with the odds in the house's favor. I personally would not. My VTek X1950 doesn't run all that hot, as measured through my mobo's 3 temperature zones, nor is the fan objectionally loud. I have my stuff mounted in an Antec TX640B case with one 120mm rear fan, one 92 mm (side panel over cpu), and two 80s (one on side panel to cool VidCard -the other in front of the HD bay), so I've got good cooling for all my components, and all but the 120 is plugged into mobo fan headers which keep the fan speeds regulated and relatively quiet. This really doesn't answer your question, but should "red-flag" the potential danger involved with installing the S1. If you do decide to go ahead with an aftermarket HSF, I would choose a solution with active cooling and make sure the GPU and preferably the memory chips as well, have good contact with the HSF by using a premium grade thermal paste for the GPU and thermal pads for the mem. If you fail to do this, you'll end up with worthless door stop.

Good luck!
September 24, 2007 8:12:58 PM

ejay said:
To my knowledge, the VisionTek version doesn't use the VRM approach that some of the other manufacturers use. I researched long and hard before I decided to go with the VisionTek X1950 Pro (GeCube's version by the way is identical). VisionTek and GeCube both decided to eschew the use of VRMs and with that decision sacrificed temperature monitoring and fan speed adjustment. On the other hand, VisionTek seems to have fewer returns and is apparently a more "stable" design. And although VisionTek offers a limited lifetime warranty which others do not, I doubt very seriously they would honor an RMA caused by the installation of an after-market HSF, and I have read horror stories regarding the installation of these after-market HSFs. Many do not go very well, a few do (with regard to the X1950s) . It's a roll of the dice with the odds in the house's favor. I personally would not. My VTek X1950 doesn't run all that hot, as measured through my mobo's 3 temperature zones, nor is the fan objectionally loud. I have my stuff mounted in an Antec TX640B case with one 120mm rear fan, one 92 mm (side panel over cpu), and two 80s (one on side panel to cool VidCard -the other in front of the HD bay), so I've got good cooling for all my components, and all but the 120 is plugged into mobo fan headers which keep the fan speeds regulated and relatively quiet. This really doesn't answer your question, but should "red-flag" the potential danger involved with installing the S1. If you do decide to go ahead with an aftermarket HSF, I would choose a solution with active cooling and make sure the GPU and preferably the memory chips as well, have good contact with the HSF by using a premium grade thermal paste for the GPU and thermal pads for the mem. If you fail to do this, you'll end up with worthless door stop.

Good luck!

Very well said ejay. I have said exactly the same thing myself regarding the Visiontek's PCB design. The Gecube X1950 Pro AGP card also uses the same PCB design and has the same pluses and minuses, but you probably already knew that.

Anyway, unknown take ejays advice which I fully agree with and use active cooling for the Pro, one of the best you could use would be the Zalman VF900CU in the link below. It's not silent, but it is relatively quiet and has ramsinks for the memory on the Pro as well. Good Luck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
September 24, 2007 9:06:50 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I guess the S1 can be installed on the VisionTek and ignore the VRM heat spreader then. I don't care about "risking" the card since it is useless to me right now. I cannot bare the fan noise at all! In fact I cannot see how anyone can consider this card anything but annoyingly loud. Drives me nuts! I am THIS close to simply jumping the crap out of the card just for the pleasure of silencing it LOL!

As for the Zalman VF900Cu it is much more expensive than the S1 and it uses a proprietary fan. But I can put whatever fan I like on the S1.

So I think I'll go ahead and order the S1. Not even sure if I'll use a fan with it yet since EVERY review I have read on the S1 shows it performs better in passive mode than most everything else with a fan! That's pretty impressive. Still, I may add a slow speed 120mm or 92mm fan just for safety. But it will be a very slow one to maintain the silence.

I'll try to post back on how everything goes. Anyone else here install an S1 on their x1950 pro?

!