Sign in with
Your question

Corruption on files - any ideas

Last response: in CPUs
September 10, 2007 10:07:14 PM

I am totally confused, so am hoping someone on here can help.

OK, here it goes. I am getting crc corruption errors when trying to unpack .rar files. I thought this was only happening on new files that I have downloaded recently, but also tried to unpack a file that I downloaded a few months ago, but this is also now giving the same problem, even though it was fine when it was first downloaded.

Ok, so now the history. I have recently upgraded my machine with a FoxConn P4M9007MB MB, an Intel E2140 Core Duo, an MSI 8600GT and a 160Gb SATA and 250Gb IDE Drive running Windows XP. The SATA drive is the main drive in the machine, and which is running XP.

My previous hardware was an ECS K7S5A, with an Athlon XP 1900+, Geforce 6600 and the original 250Gb hard drive (where this drive was running XP)

I have run defrags, chkdsks and it has found no problems with the hard drives. I have checked the S.M.A.R.T on the drives, and they are telling me that the drives are in Very Good working order.

I do not believe that is is a prob with the downloads, as I said previous ones from a while ago work fine, and sometimes the same files that I have just downloaded will occasionally unpack.

I have no other problems with the machine at all. The machine is stable, have not had any crashes, and programs and games work all fine.

I am totally confused on what might be happening here.

Help

Steve

More about : corruption files ideas

September 10, 2007 10:36:39 PM

Network card would be my guess. Driver trouble? Overheating? Install a 2nd network card (they are very inexpensive) and give that a try.
a c 472 à CPUs
September 10, 2007 11:07:24 PM

kshipper said:
Network card would be my guess. Driver trouble? Overheating? Install a 2nd network card (they are very inexpensive) and give that a try.

Why would it be the network card? From the way the OP described it, the hard drive is in the PC he is using.
Related resources
a c 472 à CPUs
September 10, 2007 11:16:52 PM

To the OP,

Do you still have your old parts? It might sound strange, but it could be the hard drive controller drivers. It's a bit remote, but you seem to have done all the necessary hard drive tests.

Hook up the hard drive back in your old PC and see if you can un-RAR your old files. Then move the hard drive back to your new PC an re-compress them if you want.
September 11, 2007 5:29:34 AM

It doesn't sound hard drive since his machine is fine in all other ways. Maybe its the RAR program itself. Try downloading Izarc and see if that unpacks them without error.
September 11, 2007 6:13:42 AM

Tried downloading Izarc and it still errors. Really confusing.

Have tried putting the files on both the sata drive and ide drive, and both fail to open.
September 11, 2007 6:25:07 AM

Could it be memory. I have a 1Gb mem stick
September 11, 2007 7:21:14 AM

Sound like a hardware issue, I would check the memory first. If you are overclocking turn everything back to normal speed.

You may also have a hardware conflict if you just built the systems and could try changing the position of pci cards if you are using any.

If you continue after these items I would turn off the smart disk function. A CRC error ususly means that the disk cannot be read like a scratched cd son something is telling the system the that this is the problem.

I would even try using an external usb drive and see what happens.

Another thought which I have seen happen, are you running any disk emulators? And do all of your drives show up with a letter.
September 11, 2007 7:41:44 AM

You know, my first thought was about RAM being faulty, but if all of your other programs run fine, then that would seem incorrect. I would run memtest86+ at http://www.memtest.org. I've never had to use it, but I know that--as the name implies--it tests memory modules. V1.70 would be best. If you have a USB Thumb Drive then get the one labeled "for USB Key," but if not, get the Pre-Compiled Bootable version, then write to a CD and boot off it--I assume you know how to do that. ...Of course a problem may arise since you have to unZip it, but I don't recall you mentioning a problem with zip files. I'm not sure this will help at all, but that's my two cents.
September 11, 2007 7:57:10 AM

The silly thing is that if I download just one file, say an application in a .rar file, I seem to be able to unrar that file. However if I download a file which contains a number of .rar files which when extracted creates the final image (hope that makes sense), then these are the files that seem to be corrupted, or at least are failing the CRC checks.
September 11, 2007 7:59:00 AM

Also not done any overclocking on the machine, it is running at stock.
September 11, 2007 8:33:58 AM

Maybe a issue with the SATA cable. I'd try the memtest test, too.
September 11, 2007 8:45:21 AM

It was a new SATA cable that came with the MB. I presume if the cable was faulty, and that WinRAR is installed on the SATA, then even when trying to unrar files fromthe second IDE drive ... that would cause problems.
September 11, 2007 8:46:56 AM

Couldn't it be a virus corrupting those archives?
September 11, 2007 8:48:48 AM

Have run full virus, and spyware checker, and no sign of any.
September 11, 2007 9:25:05 AM

Probably they're already removed but the files are still damaged? Just a thought. Did you try to copy those files to another machine and unpack them there? That would rule this possibility out.
September 11, 2007 9:41:45 AM

Guys, just going to throw in a thought ..... one of the differences with this PC is the Dual Core. WinRAR states that the software is multi-threading, therefore able to use dual core.

The way the files I am trying to unrar are packed, is in sequential order ie. .r01, .r02 etc .. which make up a full file ie APPLICATION.ISO .. so if each processor is actually unpacking one before the other, would this cause CRC errors.

As I said earlier, on a single .rar file, without sequential files .. ie winrar.rar ... I do not get this problem
September 11, 2007 9:45:53 AM

Unrarring is one of the best checks for bad memory. It is failing parity since the unrarred file is not matching the archive library, thus it tries to unrar again to a par2.01 etc. The reason that a single Rar passes is that it does not take such a large block of memory, Winrar will use up all the contiguous memory that is needed and is available. Everything else may seem to work, but I guarantee that in this case memtest or Prime95 with FFT of 1024 will show errors. :sweat: 
September 11, 2007 10:13:40 AM

Thanks for the input sony; this is starting to make sense...
September 11, 2007 10:43:07 AM

albie999 said:
I am totally confused, so am hoping someone on here can help.

OK, here it goes. I am getting crc corruption errors when trying to unpack .rar files. I thought this was only happening on new files that I have downloaded recently, but also tried to unpack a file that I downloaded a few months ago, but this is also now giving the same problem, even though it was fine when it was first downloaded.

Ok, so now the history. I have recently upgraded my machine with a FoxConn P4M9007MB MB, an Intel E2140 Core Duo, an MSI 8600GT and a 160Gb SATA and 250Gb IDE Drive running Windows XP. The SATA drive is the main drive in the machine, and which is running XP.

My previous hardware was an ECS K7S5A, with an Athlon XP 1900+, Geforce 6600 and the original 250Gb hard drive (where this drive was running XP)

I have run defrags, chkdsks and it has found no problems with the hard drives. I have checked the S.M.A.R.T on the drives, and they are telling me that the drives are in Very Good working order.

I do not believe that is is a prob with the downloads, as I said previous ones from a while ago work fine, and sometimes the same files that I have just downloaded will occasionally unpack.

I have no other problems with the machine at all. The machine is stable, have not had any crashes, and programs and games work all fine.

I am totally confused on what might be happening here.

Help

Steve

It is quite possible that all the files on your hd are getting slowly corrupted, if what i'm guessing is correct. If you have a partition that you can format on said harddrive, please do so. Format it using NTFS. If the process goes all the way to the end (100%) and then shows an error message that formatting couldn't be completed, your VIA chipset has ruined your data.
Reboot, enter your bios and load the default configuration. Make sure that the option "Plug and Play aware OS" is disabled or says no.
I hope that helps.
September 11, 2007 10:46:13 AM

Slobogob ... what is is that you are guessing is correct. Unfortunately, I do not have a spare partition to format.
September 11, 2007 11:23:34 AM

albie999 said:
Slobogob ... what is is that you are guessing is correct. Unfortunately, I do not have a spare partition to format.

It´s your mainboards VIA chipset. There never was a perfect VIA chipset, the best of them were mediocre and the worst of them didn't work at all. I still remember VIA claiming to have the first dual-core compatible chipset and after ASUS manufactured a series of boards and AMD delivered the dual cores they didn't work thanks to an error in the chipset. There are countless of these disasters throughout their history (the most recent one would be the incompatiblities of their southbridge regarding SATA drives). VIA chips are the cheapest ones out there and there is a good reason for that.

You could try to switch the Plug and play option in the bios without formatting, i've never tried that or read about that, but it could work.
In my case i stumbled upon that bug just like you. I had errors in files that i copied over the network, downloaded and even in some i had on my HD from another, older system.
Just like you i started checking my components. Memtest ran fine, checkdisk didn't report anything and even after replacing my network card, files that i copied showed up errors. If i installed a game it most likely crashed right after starting it or somewhere early during playing. If i tried to patch a game the patch installers checked the file versions and hash codes and kept telling me that i had manipulated files and thus updating was not possible. I measured heat of different compontents, reinstalled windows 3 or 4 times etc.

I pinpointed it when i ran Seagates Seatools (their HD diagnostics) and the tool kept saying that my HD was fine but yet failed to do certain tests. I noticed that the addressing range for the clusters was off by a byte and thus concluded that it was probably a chipset failure. Upon searching the web i found that it was a common error with certain via chips. I updated the bios and switched the Plug and Play option. It worked fine. Well, a few weeks later i had some corruption again. It made me kind of angry, but instead of picking up a sledge hammer and getting it on, I checked the bios and thanks to a crash a few days earlier the bios had reset the plug and play option to no and the errors on my HD were back. I switched it back, reformatted and have been happy ever since then.
The nasty thing is, the errors keep stacking. Once a file is written it has a good chance of getting scrambled. Even the OS files get corrupted, especially if you installed patches or service packs after error showed up.

I would do a backup, update the bios and try switching the Plug and play option. If that works the ugly part lies still ahead: Figuring out which file are already corrupted.

September 11, 2007 12:16:56 PM

Yes, It is probably your VIA chipset, I have an skt600 and when i use the via drivers, all my files I moved were corrupted...ALL of them, just last week, if I stick with the MS drivers it is fine..that is on XP Pro. Same thing happened years ago, but I thought I'd try the new hyperion drivers, same corrupted files, my entire d: drive as soon as I moved them to c:.
September 11, 2007 1:01:37 PM

Via makes some good chipsets....although they also make some bad ones.

You, my friend, seem to have acquired one of the latter. I wonder what quality control VIA is using before they ship these things by the 100,000s?
September 11, 2007 1:09:51 PM

so .. are you saying that I should just use the Microsoft drivers, or maybe use some updated drivers for the MB
September 11, 2007 1:10:47 PM

rar is horrible. I cant stand people who share files in rar format. It's like some kind of conspiracy! It is the same as winzip except you always need to go thru hell on earth every time you want to open a .rar file. Always rip the files out of your .rar then get rid of the .rar ASAP. If you had done that you wouldnt be having a problem now! Try a different version of rar, or try a winrar clone.
September 11, 2007 1:14:42 PM

tried winrar clones .. tried izarc .. still same problem.
September 11, 2007 2:27:50 PM

I am still kinda hoping that it is the memory issue has stated by BustedSony. Would I not have seen other problems apart from unzipping large split rar files, if it was the chipset
September 11, 2007 3:27:08 PM

albie999 said:
I am still kinda hoping that it is the memory issue has stated by BustedSony. Would I not have seen other problems apart from unzipping large split rar files, if it was the chipset

Yep, you would have. Even though they take some time to show up. Easy way to find out is copy some large files you can easily verify.
September 11, 2007 5:23:29 PM

OK, so I ran the memtest, and it found 20 errors on the test #7, which is the random number sequence test. On all other tests, no problem at all.

The memory location that seemed to have the errors range from 580Mb to around 606Mb.

I have tried to unpack the files again tonight, and it is rather bizarre that some of the files that I was not able to unpack, are now able to, so if these files were completely corrupt from the VIA chipset, would I not be able to unpack them again.

BustedSony, seeing as you were the one who pointed out a potential memory problem, do you have any thoughts on this?
September 11, 2007 5:37:32 PM

Additional info :

After doing some work on the PC, copying files about, and after deleting the unpacked file as in the above thread .. tried to unpack the file, this time it failed.

Could this be due to when I first tried it the machine had been recently restarted, and the memory was clean, whereas now after using it ... the memory is fragmented, and might be using the erroring memory locations?
September 11, 2007 6:04:07 PM

If you have more than one stick of RAM...you could remove one and test your RAR. If it works you found the problem, if it does not, then try the other. Either way this could help rule out the memory as suspect.
September 11, 2007 6:10:22 PM

I'm surpised your computer works fine with a bad stick of memory. Sometimes you can fix 'bad memory' by reseating the module(s) and other times I have had to get into the BIOS and increase the voltage to the memory by a very small amount (My own Asus Striker motherboard had memory problems fixed by an increase in voltage).
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2007 6:56:37 PM

Albie, just want to rule out one obvious possibility - I trust you are aware that many large RAR archives you DL off say, newsgroups or torrents, come in with some corrupt files and must be fixed with 'quickpar' - this is why they often come in with 'par' files. This is actually par for the course, no pun intended. I dunno, maybe 1 out of 2, very large RAR archives (say DVD size for ex.) need to be fixed, depending on various factors.

I'm sure you are aware of this and have ruled this out as the problem but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I know you say you tried an archive that worked before and now it fails but that could be an anomaly.

Beyond these CRC errors in RAR, are they any other problems in Windows, (aside, of course, from the memtest86 errors?)
September 11, 2007 7:05:16 PM

Well, your RAM failed a test. This means your computer has some kind of problem. It could be RAM, the chipset, CPU, combination of the above. Your best bet is to start swapping out components with other spares you have to figure out what works and what doesen't. Unfortunately I have a VIA chipset on a shuttle from a few years ago, and that computer has always been flaky at best.
September 11, 2007 7:51:27 PM

Unfortunately it is just the one stick of RAM for the 1Gb. Am contemplating purchasing a 512Mb (cheapish option) to determine if it is the memory that is at fault.

I have just now rebuilt my pc, and taken away the sata drive and installed just on the IDE drive, to take the sata drive out of the equation. Unfortunately, I am still getting errors on some .rar archives, but not sure if this is due to them getting corrupted, so am downloading some clean ones.

I have also left the standard MS drivers, rather than installing the drivers from the motherboard CD to see if that made any difference.

I have only had this new hardware a week, and am wondering if I just send it back, although it was a bundle (CPU, MB and Memory), so on what grounds do I send it back, as cannot really confirm at the moment what is wrong.
September 11, 2007 7:54:54 PM

I have just downloaded a smallish file (5Mb) from the Motherboard website, it is the chipset drivers. It is in .ZIP format and when I tried to extract, it errored on 29 out of the 115 files.

So now, this seems to be on small files, and not just the large rar archives
September 11, 2007 8:14:47 PM

Zip a large number of files on your PC.
Then Unzip.

Rinse and Repeat Multiple Times.

If you do not get errors, then you are having some type of network problems.

I would definitely look at getting or borrowing a bit of RAM since that failed teste is worrisome.

extremely unlikely to be a HDD Related issue in any fashion.
September 11, 2007 8:24:27 PM

zenmaster you say possibly network problems, but some of the files were downloaded a while ago on a different setup.

I will try doing as you say and zipping some files up.
September 11, 2007 8:25:10 PM

I have a similar problem... My mp3's & mpeg files get corrupted.
one day they work... then the next some don't. this problem started a

the problem has persisted through a couple computers, we are talking complete system builds. changing hard drives, and reformatting systems.
for some reason my rar files as of yet have not been affected.
I have always used Intel chipset, and lately have my drives on a higpoint rocketraid 2320. I have stopped defragging my data drive in fear of getting more corrupt data.
as for OS. I get the same problem running winXP, win2k and win2k3 server.

perhaps our problems are related... (computer problems)
any ideas to solve this would be great.
September 11, 2007 8:29:16 PM

cyberjock...I have never had a board from shuttle that was worth a...

albie....You do not seem to have the extra hardware you need in order to determine which component is faulty. Another working system could check the hard drive, or another stick of RAM could aid in checking the memory, or another motherboard could help diagnose the chipset. Barring any of those, your best bet is just to return the items...CRC errors are certainly RMA worthy.
September 11, 2007 8:32:21 PM

I will be taking the IDE HDD to install into my Dad's PC tomorrow (he has my old setup), so that will determine if the files are actually corrupt .. rather than just on my PC.

I have sent an RMA to the company, will wait to here from them tomorrow.

So .. if I do get a refund .. what recommendations. All I have now is an Intel E2140, 1Gb RAM, stock heatsink and the MB. This cost £120 as a bundle ... would be hoping for something around the same price, but which is stable .. :-)
September 11, 2007 8:43:23 PM

Chances are you are just going to get replacement parts, so...make an inconspicuous mark somewhere on the parts being returned that would only be seen if YOU were looking for it. I have had vendors return the same parts to me swearing they were new ones. Such customer service is seldom rewarded with long relationships and they are no longer in business, however it is good to keep on the watch.
September 11, 2007 8:46:10 PM

So, is the VIA chipset really that bad, is the foxconn motherboard really that bad ..... or would it be worth just getting a 512Mb memory from PC world and seeing how that goes.

I know the memory had errors, but do these problems really seem like memory problems to people .. or am I just wasting my money at PC world, that is after I have confirmed that the files on the hard drive are stillr readable.
September 11, 2007 8:55:03 PM

Reply to ZenMasters post :

I have zipped up a file (rar), which contained 58 objects and 1.45Gb of data. It packed fine, but when trying to unpack, corrupt file straight away.
September 11, 2007 8:56:52 PM

Try running memtest with your memory in a different slot.
September 11, 2007 8:57:45 PM

Doh!
September 11, 2007 9:01:02 PM

And yet again, a file that was downloaded on the old PC works fine, but not every file from the old PC works fine .... aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
September 11, 2007 9:01:13 PM

nevermind. duh.
September 11, 2007 9:01:40 PM

When a machine fails Memtest it means bad ram or a cpu ram/bus problem, but 99% of the time it's a bad stick of ram.
Beg, borrow or steal another ram stick, otherwise you are wasting your time. Your data is probably fine (Meaning those video nasties will extract just fine once you get better ram) :sarcastic: 
!