Constant Disk Activity: DTSRVC.EXE messes up Lsass.exe

Horton4

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Today I had something of a misadventure with diagnosing continuous low-level disk activity, when my drive (Samsung SP2514) was active every 2 to 3 seconds.
I just completed an upgrade including a new MSI motherboard and AMD X2 5000+BE CPU and 2 gig of ram with Windows XP SP2, So it was not a matter of speed or memory. However this constant disk activity, even when I wasn't using programs (except for my regular startup stuff: F-Secure firewall, TeaTimer etc)was driving me nuts, so to make a long (several irritating hour) story short, having tried various different methods identified in various forums, I found that a file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Portrait Displays\DTSRVC.EXE which I think is associated with the color control programs for LG LCD monitor I recently bought was causing LSASS.EXE to constantly read and write to my disk drive. Soon as I stopped (and deleted) the DTSRVC.EXE process the LSASS.EXE stopped writing and reading from my hard drive. I do not know much about the technical side of this problem stuff but maybe somebody else who is having a similar problem might find my misadventure helpful.

Best regards
Horton4

Horton4

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Yes, I turned off the indexing service, and a host of other suggestions made in various forums.however none of this made anydifference. It is only when I stopped the DTSRVC.EXE that Lsass.exe stopped reading and writing constantly.