Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Weak AVI support...?

Last response: in Applications
June 10, 2012 4:42:41 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from I've experienced not a lot of softwares/devices offer AVI playback; why is that? It seems like such a prevalent container that it would almost be up there with wmv support, especially considering MS made both...

Insights, anyone?

More about : weak avi support

Best solution

June 11, 2012 2:58:29 AM

No, I think I am using only H.264 in mp4 and mkv container when transcoding (from m2ts source). AVI (non H.264 divx/xvid codec from the old days, not avi container with H.264) is pretty much dead to me. I think people doing transcoding is using more and more mp4 and mkv to avoid confusing the viewers (mkv/mp4 usually associated with H.254) vs. (avi, usually divx/xvid). Many people don't know about the difference between codec, container and extension, etc (count me in, I'm still trying to figure it all out).
June 11, 2012 8:23:23 PM

.avi is not a single standard for files. You can encode AVI in a ton of different ways. Many devices run DIVX encoded .avi files just fine for example.
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2012 5:54:19 AM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the .avi files generally quite large when not encoded in a format (container?) such as a DivX .avi file? I know in Premiere there is an option to export the file as an uncompressed .avi file. Wouldn't the large .avi files make them inpractible for uploading and, generally speaking, playback?
m
l
August 22, 2012 6:44:27 AM

It is said that the video with .avi format has higher compression and lower quality.
But it's still popular in the storage of video information.
I usually convert avi videos to mp4 in order to suit my cellphone. :) 

I'm a new comer here and not familiar with video formats,please tell me if I'm wrong:) 
m
l
January 16, 2013 12:21:24 AM

Best answer selected by calmstateofmind.
m
l
!