Bootmgr is missing vista error trying to format

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusion101

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Hello,

I got a Toshiba notebook about a year old, with windows Vista on it.
Trying to repair it for a friend.But it's nothing like working with XP back in the day.

Decided to format the drive. after formatting the c DRIVE, i forgot to format the other partition. Some reason there were 2 partitions. But i forgot to do the second partition, and i also forgot to do the fix mbr and fix boot commands after formatting.

Now every time i boot up ,i get a BOOTMGR file is missing error. hit ctrl alt delete to restart.

I cant even boot off my old XP CD to install windows and re do the partitions.
and i have changed the boot order.

I also got kingston or something 8 gig flash drive, i tried formatting and throwing on a vista repair cd iso i downloaded.
But no matter what combination of things i try, i keep getting A BOOTMGR file is missing.

My only last resort is to try buying some DVD's and burning a new vista iso and see if i can boot off that.

But if i cant boot off an xp cd how will the vista cd work lol.

Any help here, seems like everyone is having problems with this BOOTMGR file error, but its always from some other cause.
I ACTUALLY formatted my drive, theres nothing there anymore. and it seems like theres no way to get a new operating system installed...

Bit confused how you are doing things. You boot off the Vista CD, the setup starts. You get to the part where it asks which partition to install on, then what do you do and what happens? Why won't it boot off the XP CD? Do you get to the message where it states "hit any key to boot from CD"?

bradajee

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

He's got the same problem as me. I formatted my hard drive completely. (Installed it in another PC and did this). Put it back in my PC, then tried to install Vista. But it says BOOTMGR is missing. How do we get around this please? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.