Which HDD do you suggest? and what set-up?

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I am doing my first ever build, going with Q6600 and a 8800GT on a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard

But I have NO IDEA what to pick with HDD? and don't know much about raid and sata?? *(is it??)

I do run a small business with my cpu and so data back up is important.

I will be running Vista Ultimate and I do some gaming but mostly WoW or other RPG

I also have a Gigabit Network set-up and plan to get a 2TB Raid setup Networkable HDD
back up and store most our Media files and possibly my company doc's as well

I was thinking of getting a Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
To store the Vista - maybe more? I don't know? Should I ??

And then something like this
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
For everything else?
Is this smart or dumb,

I also though of just getting to Seagates and running them in Raid0, then
Setting up the Network HDD to do a regular back up of my CPU.

Of course I will still use the network HDD for storing my Media.

PLEASE HELP? I really don't have a clue what is the best way to go.

Thanks

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Forget the Raptor.
The Seagate 7200.11's beat it in all but one server benchmark and the -smallest- 500GB unit can be found via email sales discount for as little as $89 USD.

For under the price of -one- 150GB Raptor you can have -two- faster 500GB drives.

If you value your company data then -avoid- raid 0.
As a gamer I will never again use raid 0 myself.

Also most company computers have no need at all for such a high enfd GFX card...look at a $40-80 USD MB with built in GFX for that function and build another for games.
Use XP and stay away from Vista and it's DRM.
TigerDirect was saleing XP w/SP2 built in for $89 USD.

Althought I build and own a builders copy of XP (2 disks) that I got 6-7 years ago I orderd a copy from Tiger which UPS should have in my hands this Friday.
All new builds with this will not need a SP update to get drives larger than 160GB to be fully used on a fresh install.

runswindows95

Distinguished
I agree with ZOldDude. A high-end GPU has no affect on such programs as Office, Quickbooks, ACT, etc. If anything, all you would need is a 8400GS for the office system, and then build a separate gaming rig. I wouldn't mix business and pleasure on the same system.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Agreed a third time. This is from my 500gb 7200.11
Capture-4.jpg

One of these drives is all you need. I have used RAID 0 in the past and it does improve responsiveness but unless your using RAID 1, 1+0, or 0+1 it's too risky for a system with valuable information.

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Well my office is in my home and I don't have a large home. i don't know if I could actually fit 2 pc's even.

Is there any real reason why I can't use my gaming pc for my office doc's as well. Please remember as of now, my only real game is WoW.

In my business of home theater and automation. Media Center and home theater PC's are getting to be really popular, so I want to step up to vista ultimate with media center and start learning as much as possbile.

There are home automation system such as lifeware, that is completely built off of Media Center. But can't i get Media Center without going to VIsta?

As for the HDD I totally agree, The Seagate looks like the way to go!

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

If I could get a tax write-off to get a decent gaming machine I'd be there like a shot. :sol:

In case you aren't sure: RAID 0 = very fast no redundancy, RAID 1 = "normal" speed and full redundancy.

Data backup SHOULD mean making a separate copy of your files to another media (tape, DVD, NAS, etc.).

If this is a second copy fine - please remember that RAID 1 will save you from hardware failure but not from human error (deleted files).

You MAY have an issue with performance here if you are planning to transcode across the network - but I can't be sure.

For my 5c

I agree with ZOldDude on the Seagates, put two small ones in in RAID 1 for your OS and applications.
Create a 5Gb partition on that drive for your swap file.
Put in a second pair of large RAID 1 Seagates as your "working" disk.

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Okay - so are u suggesting that I have 4 HDD total

2- small seagate drives in Raid 1 (for data back-up) for the OS
HOW SMALL???
and you said to create 5Gb partition for "swap files"
What do you mean by this? what are "swap files"?

Then you say get 2 more large Seagates, like 250 - 500Gb
put them also in Raid 1 - use them for all my programs and docs

Is this what you mean????

Would it be beneficial to create a partition just for my "Company Docs"?

Thanks again, this is a lot of help.

OH and, do i have to get extra hardware or parts to set-up a Raid1 config?

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

Yes I am.

I would do as follows:

first = 2 X 80Gb in RAID 1
second = 2 X 750Gb in RAID 1

I would then partition the first drive to be:
C drive of 75Gb
D drive of 5Gb

the second drive would then become my E drive. There could be an argument to split it into more than one partition from an organisational perspective. Given that not everybody will agree with my option (now there's a surprise :ange: ) I'm sure there will be some different opinions.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging

In computer operating systems that have their main memory divided into pages, paging (sometimes called swapping) is a transfer of pages between main memory and an auxiliary store, such as hard disk drive.[1] Paging is an important part of virtual memory implementation in most contemporary general-purpose operating systems, allowing them to easily use disk storage for data that does not fit into physical RAM. Paging is usually implemented as a task built into the kernel of the operating system.

Since Windows is constantly reading and writing from this file it makes sense to have the file stored as efficiently as possible. By having your paging file as the only file on that partition (D drive) you remove the possibility of fragmenting the paging file.

Remember you'll need to change the default Windows setting to more your swap file.

I would install the O/S and programs on the C drive as normal. I'm thinking that you would use the E drive for media files, converting formats, building DVD images, temp folder, etc. You could store your docs on either the C or E drive.

No your motherboard supports RAID. The Gigabyte documentation is normally pretty good. If you can build your PC you can install RAID (99.999% of the time :D ).

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Like everybody is saying about the Seagate new drives the amount of drives and Raid 1. It's all good.

How ever having done numerous counts of different setups, testing and contradiction like this guys/gals are, here’s how I came out with my best set up.

4 to 5 HD is needed.

HD #1 for Application
Partition A: OS
Partition B: Office Programs and Games
Partition C: Page file
Partition D: Scratch Files
Partition E: If separate partition is needed for Games instead of using Partition B.

HD # 2 Cloned of HD # 1, NOT in RAID 1
Partition A: OS
Partition B: Office Programs and Games
Partition C: Page file
Partition D: Scratch Files
Partition E: If separate partition is needed for Games instead of using Partition B.

So you can use the one HARD DRIVE for Office Application and one HARDDRIVE for GAMING. Or just save the one HD, for my reason for not going for RAID 1 for PROGRAMS APPLICATION is; if for any situation your applications or/and your controller fails, then you can always bring your system on line with a lot less hassle since you have the other one that can do the same task.. Having only to go to the BIOS and change the priority of the drives for booting. But this is only because the system is also use for business and avoiding failure to a minimum is higher priority.

5 Gig Partition C for Page File additions to the page file from Partition A.
To add more: CLICK START > RIGHT CLICK MY COMPUTER > CLICK PROPERTIES > CLICK ADVANCED > PERFORMANCE SETTINGS > CLICK ADVANCED > CLICK CHANGE > CLICK Partition C and SELECT Custom Size >Then enter the amount of size leaving only 90 to 100 Meg of space or LOW DISC SPACE will popup constantly. > CLICK OK but don’t restart yet.
The go to SYSTEM RESTORE > CLICK where the Partition C is > CLICK SETTINGS > then Check box: Turn off system restore on this drive. CLICK OK then Restart.

HD # 3 for Data Storage on RAID 1
PARTITION THE RAID DRIVE TO YOUR NEEDS.
With that amount of space it’s better to have them in smaller partitions, it’s easier to format and maintained.

HD # 4 Backup files, if you’re neurotic about protecting your Data.

NOTE: The partition sizes differ on applications needed to be installed, so size up accordingly.

I won't argue that RAID 1 is better but having to fix less is better than any RAID setup especially for business applications.

PS. This concept is created with Windows XP in mind. Vista has better processing technology so I would say the setup may work differently. (Since I have not tried Vista and 'am in a process of swicthing Vista for one of my computer at home) But the Idea is the same.

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
What is the benefit of having HD1 & HD2 be exactly the same, but not in Raid format? How would I clone them?

What are "scratch" files?

So I would use HD1 for OS, partition for "swap files" And partition for programs and possible partition for games

Then you are suggesting have HD3 & 4 set-up in Raid1 and use it store all my files, media, docs, etc -

This seems good b/c the Raid conifg is really only for protecting my files, docs, media etc.

Is there any reason why I would want a back-up of all the programs and OS, .........well I guess if it crashed I wouldn't have to reload everything.

Thanks again for the help

P0110X

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Use RAID1 or solutions with better redundancy, like RAID5, and set block size to 16kbytes and ntfs block size to 8kbytes or something bigger (2:1 proportional) if you have big files. that's why it's recommended to have different partitions for different kind of data

vtr99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
"Forget the Raptor.
The Seagate 7200.11's beat it in all but one server benchmark and the -smallest- 500GB unit can be found via email sales discount for as little as $89 USD."

You get what you pay for, and there is considerable evidence that the Raptor series will outlast most other drives by at least 2 to 1. There is a lot of misinformation on these lists, and it pays to do a little research before blindly believing what you hear. The fact is that the Raptor drives have access times that are 50 to 70% faster than the average 7,200 rpm drive. If you are doing one thing all the time, by all means go for the cheap drives. On the other hand if booting Windows, and accessing many items quickly is important the Raptor will make most drives feel like a dial up connection compared to broadband. Raid 0 will not improve access times. A pair of Raptors in Raid 0 is the fastest most reliable option available... period! You can always add an extra cheap jumbo storage drive for archived data.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Here’s a few:
Symantec - Partition Magic now called Norton Ghost
Farstone - DriveClone
Acronis - True Image

Quick look at the net. And ( http://search.live.com/results.aspx?srch=105&FORM=IE7RE&q=What+are+%22scratch%22+files )

Temporary computer file: a temporary computer file created in a memory device as a work area or for use when executing a program.

But also you can use the space of that partion for your temporary working files. Temporary video files or audio files while working on adobe programs or Microsoft/Corel ect. for that matter.

- Exactly.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
1 External eSATA enclosure w/ Raid card $250
4 500GB HD Raid 5 $360 1.3Tb total disk space for work stuff
1 Additional HD for the $90
Partition the raid however you like for organization there will be no performance benefit. RAID 1 is slow and a very low budget approach. You still need a back-up solution.

8800GT or 3870 WoW is quite taxing when maxed. In shat my my 8800 GTX drops to mid 30 maxed at 1600x1200 and yes it noticibly choppy

Educate yourself on the benefits and pitfalls of RAID of any kind. For a good tutorial go here: http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/index.html That web site has lots of expertise on hard drives; go there for good hard drive info.

My summary conclusion is that RAID of any type is not a very good thing for the single user desktop machine.

RAID-1 and some others will speed up recovery time for a failed hard drive. Recovery is almost instantaneous. Can you afford a hour to recover data if a hard drive fails? The mean time to failure of a typical hard drive is on the order of 1 million hours; that is about 100 years. For your critical data, you MUST have external backup. If the data is connected to the PC, then it is still vulnerable to Viruses, Electrical overload, and human error. A lan connected device is convenient, but is vulnerable. If data is backed up to any device, you are only safe if it is disconnected. Even then, what about fire in the pc room? Get a little paranoid and think of how to protect your vital data from these possibilities.

Raid-0 and some others have speed benefits in some special environments. In synthetic data transfer benchmarks they look wonderful. The problem is that the real world application environment is not like the benchmark, and the benefits evaporate. As a rule, there is no real benefit to RAID-0. Only if you have a very specific type of sequential process can you get real benefits. Even then, you can do better using one drive as input, and the other as output.

How much data will you have on the PC?

My suggestion is to keep it simple.

Get a raptor150 for the os and start filling it up. You will pay an extra $100 for the raptor, so if the speed is not worth it to you, then go with something cheaper. When it is full, get a second cheaper slower 7200rpm drive and so on... Don't bother with partitioning. The benefits are miniscule.

Vista media center is really slick and easy to use; learn about it.

---good luck

vtr99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
"The mean time to failure of a typical hard drive is on the order of 1 million hours; that is about 100 years."

I agree with your feelings on Raid, but strongly disagree with the statement above. I have a large box with dozens of dead HDs I have collected over the years. Manufacturer ratings are highly optimistic.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6404
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=38693
I manage a large data center, and we replace drives on a weekly, and sometimes daily basis. Most of these are 15,000 rpm drives that see extreme duty and run 24x7. We have over 500 servers, and over 3000 hard drives. The main killer of most drives is heat, and on/off cycles.
Beyond that the largest factors are component and quality. For overall speed and reliability you would be very hard pressed to beat the WD Raptor series.

@vtr99:

The study you referenced was educational, and corresponds to your real-world experience --thanks. They indicated that age over 5-7 years was the primary cause of failure.

You indicated that heat was a big issue, also. Would you care to estimate what heat level or drive temperature seems to be dangerous?

What is the typical home user to do?

1) Plan on replacing the drives in 5-7 years. I would probably do this anyway. SSD's are on the way.
2) Keep the case as cool as possible. I do this.
3) Don't turn off the drives? Would this be a good idea? It could be done.
4) Review the S.M.A.R.T data for signs of impending failure. What should I look for?

Do you have any experience with 7200rpm sata drives from a reliability point of view?

vtr99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
"You indicated that heat was a big issue, also. Would you care to estimate what heat level or drive temperature seems to be dangerous?"

Sure... I lost 2 Seagate 320gb drives last summer within a week of each other. Both drives were about a year old. After the first drive failed I didn't think much about it other than being upset over the loss of data. I did notice my drives were running hot (about 63C. I have a full tower for my main box, but it is an older IN-WIN 500 that has dual PSU bays. I use the second for my main water cooling radiator. Anyway the front does not have the best air flow, although I do run 2 slimline 90mm fans. My home office also has 3 systems that create a lot of heat, not to mention my 50" plasma that uses 535 watts. About a week later the second drive failed. Again I noticed my 2 surviving Raptors were pretty hot to the touch. At this point I opened up the front of the case, and added 2 120mm fans. The temp immediately dropped into the 40s. You may remember we had a very hot summer last year, and my systems are on the second floor in a room with less than ideal cooling. In my opinion, you need to keep the surface temp of the drive below 50c. My system again has 4 hard drives, and as you know hard drives create quite a bit of heat. I have had plenty of drives fail in the past, and in my opinion the average 7,200 rpm bargain drive is far less reliable than the Raptor series. My original 74gb drives are still running strong after nearly 5 years under the same conditions. I always shut my systems down when not using them, as keeping them spun up uses a lot of juice. My best recommendation is to keep them cool. If the drive is hot to the touch, it's too hot.

First I'd suggest reading the Hard Drive section of the forum. These issues have been covered in detail several times in the last few days alone. You'll see many Chevy is better, Dodge is better, Ford is better type arguments but many posts include significant sources to support their opinions and the weight you apply to each post should be judged accordingly. First question I'd ask is about your "small business". Is it just you ? Does your wife have a machine and will be helping you ? Will you have a 2nd machine for yaself ? A laptop ? Any employees ?

In SoHo shops < 10 puters, it's hard to beat an NAS for data storage of critical files. It makes one hell of a fine media server also. Right now, IMO, the two most attractive options come from Netgear who grabbed the technology when they bought Infrant this past summer.

1. Four Drive (X-RAID) Unit - Start out with two drives and add up to two additional later. RAID 1 provides protection from a failed drive and the unit comes with network backup software and 5 client licenses with a 5 year warranty. Great Forum support. Netgear NV+ will cost ya $999 w/ two Seagate 500 GB drives.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Storage/ReadyNASNVPlus.aspx

2. Two Drive (X-RAID) Unit - Start out with one drive and add the second when you're ready. X-RAID gives you hot swap capability and the ability to auto rebuild the array without data loss even when you add drives that aren't the same size. Expected to arrive in stores later this month at a cost of about $450 w/ 1 drive.

Both have built in media (iTunes) server)

Now if you just starting out as a 1 box shop, the NAS options might be a bit premature. But the Raptor is yesterday's performance HD. The Samsung F1, Hitachi 7k and Seagate 7200.1 all have bounced it off its perch.
Here's some TomsHardware review comments taken from another thread here on the forum. Again, you will get a great deal of info just reading the various forum posts as you will find many others with similar issues that have already been addressed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/1 [...] page9.html

Hitachi and Seagate battle head to head when it comes to winning the heart of the enthusiast who wants as much performance as possible. The Deskstar 7K1000 still does okay in the access time and I/O performance tests, but it loses ground when it comes to transfer rates. The Barracuda 7200.11 offers the best low-level benchmark results, jumping over 100 MB/s read or write transfer rates and accessing data in an average of 12.7 ms. With the exception of access time and I/O benchmarks, it also clearly beats Western Digital's 10,000 RPM Raptor, and sets the new standard for desktop hard drives. (It's about time for Western Digital to come up with a new Raptor drive. Based on current technology, it should be able to regain everything that has been lost to Seagate right now.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/1 [...] page7.html

The WD5000AAKS is a Caviar SE16 drive with 16 MB cache, Serial ATA/300 and a 7,200 RPM spindle speed. Though it cannot compete with the latest hard drive generation (Samsung Spinpoint F1 or Seagate Barracuda 7200.11), it is a solid performer and a reliable workhorse. Thanks to its under $120 price tag, this model offers an exceptional price/performance value.

The 7200.11 is $119 ....th WD5000AAKS is now discounted down to $104

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/1 [...] age11.html

[The F1] beat Hitachi, Seagate and Western Digital when it comes to performance. Hitachi and Seagate still offer better access times, which is why Samsung does not dominate the I/O benchmarks, but only the Barracuda 7200.11's access time is noticeably quicker. The maximum throughput of 118 MB/s is up to 18% faster than Seagate's 100 MB/s maximum, and the average and minimum throughput when reading and writing also dominate the benchmark results. When compared to WD's Caviar GP, the new Spinpoint F1 by Samsung offers roughly a third more throughput, which is very respectable."

Now let's look at the reliability comments covering past performance reliability of each vendor's offerings. Here's some data pulled from another thread on reliability:

"According to filtered and analyzed data collected from participating StorageReview.com readers, a predecessor of the Seagate Cheetah 15K.5, the Seagate Cheetah 15K.3 , is more reliable than 100% of the other drives in the survey that meet a certain minimum floor of participation.

According to filtered and analyzed data collected from participating StorageReview.com readers, a predecessor of the Seagate Barracuda 7200.9, the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 , is more reliable than 49% of the other drives in the survey that meet a certain minimum floor of participation.

According to filtered and analyzed data collected from participating StorageReview.com readers, the Western Digital Raptor WD1500 is more reliable than 12% of the other drives in the survey that meet a certain minimum floor of participation."

Just using those two as an example (reliability data BTW is from storagereview.com) , the reliability of the Seagate models is between 4 and 8 times that of the Raptor. If ya want another take on reliability, look at what HD's the high end NAS vendors are supplying in their NAS's.

MTBF is a meaningless statistic not meant to suggest that a HD has any chance of lasting 100 years. If you have 5 machines in your office, it's a pretty safe bet that 1 or 2 will fail before the warranty period ends. I have a P2P server here serving a small SOHO and I have replaced it's hard drives (under warranty) twice. They have 5 year warrantees BTW. I have built 68 boxes and replaced HD's on at least half of them before they got retired....and we don't keep machines even for print server duty after 4-5 years at most. Temperature plays a large role in HD life. IBM's white paper showed that a mere 10 degree temperature increase cut HD life in half. All of our boxes are built here, stuffed with as many fans as the case will fit and all have HD coolers or are mounted in vented cages with fans blowing thru them.

If money is tight, I'd just build a box with one HD. I'd make it a Samsung F1 or Seagate 7200.11

I'd partition it as follows (BootIt NG is free for 30 daya BTW):

1. C:\ OS and OS utilities - Not sure what I'd do for Vista as yet I have never considered it for a build. Still looking for a reason to look away from it's "anything you can do, I can do slower" singsong. Until hybrid drives start approaching the performance of non hybrid drives, it lacks a reason to consider unless you must have Aero or play Halo 3. But if it was XP, I'd make a NTFS partition of 16 GB size and throw the OS on it, OS utilities like backup program and partitioning utility and that's it.

2. D:\ Page file and temp file partition - I make these 8 gigs and FAT32 since we don't need the file protections offered by NTFS, we might as well free ourselves from it's overhead. Other threads explain how to do this. Your Seagate / Samsung HD can rip data off at about 100 MB'sec here......this will be the most used portion of ya HD. Ya can have it at the outside of ya drive (100 MB/sec) or at the inside (60 MB/s). Since 100 is a lot bigger than 60, me choosie outside.

3. E:\ ..... etc - OK at this point what is more important to ya.....where do ya need ya speed. Obviously I'm talking games or programs. From this point on it's pretty personal....do what works for you. Consider a partition for a "maintenance copy" of your OS. Consider a partition for backups. Consider a partition for media files. Pick the number of cabinets (partitions) ya want and then arrange them from fastest to slowest needs. The stuff ya want to go fast gets the lower letters (outside of the HD platters), the stuff ya don't mind going slow, gets the inside (higher letters).

If you want to go a step further.....a 2nd drive is the next step.....If you built the box as above and are coming back later to add that second drive, it is very easy. Let's say you went partition wild on ya original build and had:

C:\OS
D:\ Swap & temp files
E:\Programs
F:\Games
G:\Office Data
H:\Personal Stuff
I:\Backups

At this point, I'd create a new swap / temp file drive at the front of the second drive. I'd rename old D to say M and then call that new swap drive D:\ From then on ya might wanna move things around but remember you can change letter designations.

But again, before messing with RAID, I'd build with just one drive and see how it performs.....if you or not waiting for anything nor running outta room, it's hard to justify messing with RAID or multiple drives.

When ya have some cashola available consider which NAS solution makes the most sense for your long term goals.

I am running a 9 box SOHO network....most of the boxes, including the laptops, have single 7200 rpm drives. We run AutoCAD, Photoshop, GoLive, and lotsa games and have no speed issues. We used to use all 15k SCSI drives on every single box but storage I/O is no longer the AutoCAD bottleneck it once was so we haven't been able to justify the additional cost. All office data (SO side of SOHO) is stored on various NAS volumes the NAS (Infrant NV+ w/ twin 500 GB Seagates). Another volume (for the HO side of SOHO) includes an iTunes and media server.

BTW, another thing to consider is warranty policies. What do you do when ya HD dies ? Will manufacturer cross ship w/ credit card or will they require you to get an RMA, ship in the old one, let them take up to 2 weeks to examine it, and then ... if they think it's defective...send you a new one....UPS ground....Can you wait 3 weeks to rebuild your machine ?

That's why I try and stick with vendors who will cross ship. It's also why I like NAS's as I can always access my data from any other box on the network....and even if I don't have a 2nd box, a borrowed laptop can easily get needed files.

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

SATA drives, as many as you like but at least two. OS + apps on one, data and paging file on other(s). Backup to external drives with Acronis True image or Runtime's free DriveImage. If your data is is important, external backup is the way to go, take it home with you every night - internal backups are lost in a fire, flood, etc.

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
WOW, WOW WOW< There is so much information I think my brain has doubled in size, whew.

Okay, So at this point, personal experience, I have a 6 year old PC with a 200GH WD hdd, I don't know what model.

It came from SONY partitioned into C & D drives, for the most part the OS and some other random files/programs are on the C.
I have been good about only using the D drive for anything I add, games, media, programs whatever.

I have NEVER had a problem.....ever.

BUT, now i have had this business for 5 years, officially almost 3. and I realize that I do my bookkeeping and store all my customer records here.

It is a home office, but I'm in the business of Designing and installing Home theater, home automation, Sound.
SO i don't have huge files.

I am getting new software that I will be using to design more system into CAD and microsoft visio.
So I will want to have this stuff backed up the easiest way possible.

Should I just do a quick file back up onto a DVD-R once a month and call it good???

I like the idea of a 74g Raptor to run my OS and swap files. Is 74G more than I need for this??

I also understand that the new Seagates are suppose to be very nice, So i'd likely get a 250-500G 7200.11
For storing all my data and running my programs,

I would probably partition into - #1 - games & programs, #2- Media, #3 - Business

Does this make sense????

I plan to have a networkable HDD, that I can just install iTunes on and have access from any off the PC's or laptops in the house. does this work??

ALSO, i am REALLY interested in utilizing and learning about Media Center.

DVD servers are a very very HOT item, and if I can come up with a cost effective alternative to some of these 30k players, i'd like to . ANY IDEAS HERE????

I Know this is a lot of questions, I really value everyones advice and difference in opinions.

Thanks again.

PS. if you have any Home A/V, distributed audio, lighting control , automation or HiFi 2ch. quesitons. Please message me, i'd be happy to help.

happy_fanboy Get a 750GB with perpendicular recording technology and be done with it, RAID is a headache and only worth it for servers.

Okay

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

Just so you know the 7200.11 drives only come in 500, 750 and 1000gb anything smaller would be the older 7200.10.