Aftermarket TIM on GPU

crrust

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Is it worth the trouble to replace the stock TIM on a GPU with some better goop (X-23 specifically)? I have an 8800GT and have no problems with noise so I don't mind running the fan wide open. With that being said I would still like to see temps down a couple of degrees. Do you think that new TIM would make a noticeable difference?

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
nah, don't worry about it. You may know this, but the GPU cores are designed to run at higher temps than the CPU. the TIM probably won't make a huge difference unless you really want to get into overclocking.

Granted, the GPU is designed for higher temperatures, however, lower temperatures are always better. It reduces the heat dump into your tower, as well as extends the life of the video card. If you are a heavy gamer, then it could also keep your load temps below the temps that would cause an undercooled card to fail.

IMHO, it is ALWAYS worth the effort to replace the TIM with better TIM, if you do it correctly.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
do it if heat is something you are concerned about...ie, you have high ambient temps or you want to overclock the living daylights out of your card. It wont really make much difference otherwise, though it may slightly increase the life expectancy of your card if you do it just right.