Windows 7 is not recognizing certain monitors.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/61303-3-getting-samsung-740n-past-startup
The original thread in the LCD-Flatpanels category. As I've tried different solutions and tips, it's become apparent that my problem isn't the monitor... it's Windows 7 (x64 Pro), so I decided to post in this forum as well.

To sum up the previous thread:
My Samsung 740N (5:4 ratio, optimum 1280x1024) displays the Windows startup screen.
It does not display the BIOS or Windows login screens.
It fades to black after showing "Windows is starting up", the power LED begins to blink.
While shutting down the computer, the monitor displays Windows' shutdown screen.

What I know so far:
The VGA cable is good.
The PC will not display anything on other monitors running at a native 1280x1024.
It's current (and original) monitor runs at 1024x756.
I've installed the latest PnP drivers (including the driver from Samsung's site).
I've tried different resolutions (640x480,800x600, etc.) @ 60hz (the 740N's default refresh rate). The PC still doesn't display anything.
The Monitor does work. I've used it with another Win7 Pro x64 machine.
Both PCs are using Radeon 4670s (The working PC's is a Gigabyte, the other's is a Sapphire... although I doubt it matters).
Both PCs are using the 10.11 Catalyst package (which, of course, isn't the latest).

As this was a gift... and my good intentions are being ruined, I'm hoping someone on Tom's has an idea of what to do.
(I've called Samsung's support... nothing. They claim it's "Plug and Play". Tomorrow, I'll try Microsoft's free support lines and the latest Catalyst package.)

I'm no Windows expert, and I'm hoping this is just a simple settings issue... but I'm at my wits end as to what it could be.

I'd appreciate any advice, or other thoughts.

If it works on a Win7Pro machine, it will work on yours. Use another monitor to download the latest AMD drivers and Catalyst Control Center for your 4670 graphics cards for W7x64 from AMD's driver site. Install them. (Many would recommend that you first use DriverSweeper to remove the old drivers, but that is your call.) After you've installed the new drivers withe Catalyst Control Center, restart. Actually, you should just shut down, disconnect the other monitor, and connect the Samsung 740N, and restart. After you boot to W7x64, you can use Catalyst Control Center to set your display to its native resolution.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Necro, I know... but I solved it.

Turns out it was a driver problem all along. It took a while to find out, but to sum it up:

The drivers included with my HIS IceQ 4670 didn't work with the Samsung. Neither did the updated versions on AMD's site.
Solution: Uninstall current drivers, go to HIS's support site and find the current recommended version of AMD's driver there. Complete the uninstallation, and reboot with the Samsung attached. It took me several boot attempts for it to work.

So, apparently, the graphics drivers DO have a hand in the BIOS displaying properly.