Sign in with
Your question

Vista 64 crashes and blue screen dumps

Last response: in CPUs
September 11, 2007 6:45:35 AM

I've been having some really hard times with my new computer.

I finally managed to get Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed properly, but it still keeps crashing on me. Both while gaming, surfing the web or just "sitting idle" through the night.

This morning, I got this message on the Blue Screen:

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Didn't get to see what it said on the other last few blue screen messages, though.

I've tried almost anything at this point, and created threads here and there to get some qualified help, which I did for the issue with installing Vista 64-bit, but I'm still having major issues with these random hardcore crashes to that damned blue screen.

I am pretty sure that it's my Abit motherboard which is giving me all this hassle, though someone on another forum mentioned that the Quad Core CPU is also having issues with systems that has 4GB RAM or more, though I don't know if that is the case or not.

Any ideas? :heink: 

Cheers,
Bassa

--- SPECS ---
Motherboard: Abit AW9D
CPU: Intel QX6700
RAM: 4 x 1 GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800Mhz
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX KO ACS3
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
September 11, 2007 8:45:04 AM

Tried playing The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for about 10 minutes before crashing. Blue screen error message said:

"A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval".

Anyone?

Cheers,
Bassa
September 11, 2007 8:47:24 AM

I'm running 64bit vista with a Q6700 with no issues apart from a blue screen for the nvidia drivers.
What other PCI cards do you have in your system?
Related resources
September 11, 2007 10:32:42 AM

None other than a small audio card which came with the Abit mobo package. I haven't plugged in its powercord though, so it's not an issue.

I'm running with the 162.22_forceware_winvista_64bit_english_whql driver. Are there any issues with that driver since you're having some troubles too?

Cheers,
Bassa
September 11, 2007 11:25:16 AM

Try removing that audio card then..it could be sharing an irq with your x-fi
September 11, 2007 1:35:38 PM

Temps are fine, they're all near 35 celsius.
September 11, 2007 2:22:21 PM

Here is the info from the Microsoft Knowledge Base page which describes your problem exactly:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=929777

United States *

Quick Links | Home | Worldwide
Microsoft *
Search Microsoft.com for:
Help and Support
Help and Support Home | Select a Product | Advanced Search
Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 929777
Last Review : March 15, 2007
Revision : 3.4
On This Page
SYMPTOMS
RESOLUTION
Update information
Prerequisites
Restart requirement
Update replacement information
File information
Windows Vista, 32-bit versions
Windows Vista, 64-bit versions
WORKAROUND
STATUS
MORE INFORMATION
SYMPTOMS
When you try to install Windows Vista, you may receive an error message that resembles the following:
STOP 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
• The computer uses more than 3 GB of RAM.
• The computer uses a storage system that is running the Storport miniport driver.
• The computer uses a controller that uses 32-bit direct memory access (DMA).

Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, install update 929777. To install this update, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)

Back to the top
Update information
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)

DownloadDownload the KB929777 package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...)

Update for Windows Vista, 64-bit versions (KB929777)

DownloadDownload the KB929777 package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...)

Release Date: January 30, 2007

For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119591/) How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.

Back to the top
Prerequisites
To apply this update, you must have Windows Vista installed on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM.

Back to the top
Restart requirement
You must restart the computer after you apply this update.

Back to the top
Update replacement information
This update does not replace any other updates.

Back to the top
File information
The English version of this update has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
Windows Vista, 32-bit versions
File name File version File size Date Time Platform
Halacpi.dll 6.0.6000.20500 134,760 20-Dec-2006 08:04 x86
Halmacpi.dll 6.0.6000.20500 160,872 20-Dec-2006 08:01 x86
Windows Vista, 64-bit versions
File name File version File size Date Time Platform
Hal.dll 6.0.6000.20500 269,928 20-Dec-2006 07:28 x64

Back to the top
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
• Restart the computer. Then, try to install again.
• Remove 2 GB of RAM, and then restart the installation process. After Windows Vista is installed, reinstall the RAM.

Back to the top
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

Back to the top
MORE INFORMATION
For more information about how update packages are named, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
816915 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816915/) New file naming schema for Microsoft Windows software update packages
For more information about the terms that are used to describe software updates, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684/) Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates

Back to the top
APPLIES TO
• Windows Vista Home Basic
• Windows Vista Home Premium
• Windows Vista Ultimate
• Windows Vista Business
• Windows Vista Enterprise
• Windows Vista Starter
• Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition

Back to the top
Keywords:
kbfix kbbug kbhotfixserver kbqfe kbprb kbexpertiseinter KB929777

Back to the top

Provide feedback on this article
Did this article help you solve your problem?
Yes
No
Partially
I do not know yet

Strongly Agree Strongly Disagree
9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
The article is easy to understand

The article is accurate

Additional Comments:
To protect your privacy, do not include contact information in your feedback.
Thank you! Your feedback is used to help us improve our support content. For more *** options, please visit the Help and Support Home Page.

Search Support (KB)

Switch to Advanced Search
Article Translations

Related Support Centers

* Windows Vista
* Windows Vista Enterprise

Other Support Options

* Contact Microsoft
Phone Numbers, Support Options and Pricing, Online Help, and more.
* Customer Service
For non-technical *** with product purchases, subscriptions, online services, events, training courses, corporate sales, piracy issues, and more.
* Newsgroups
Pose a question to other users. Discussion groups and Forums about specific Microsoft products, technologies, and services.

Page Tools

* Print this page
* E-mail this page
* Microsoft Worldwide
* Save to My Support Favorites
* Go to My Support Favorites
* Send Feedback
Sign in to Windows Live ID

Manage Your Profile |Contact Us |Services Agreement
© 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |Trademarks |Privacy Statement
September 11, 2007 2:48:46 PM

Installed that patch days ago. Unplugged 2GB RAM, installed Vista 64, applied the patch, shutdown, re-installed 2GB RAM, rebooted and done.

Cheers,
Bassa
September 11, 2007 2:53:09 PM

I have been using Prime95, Orthos and Memtest86+ to stress test my CPU and Memory.

Memtest86+ completed without errors.

Prime95 came to a mere 0.00% the first time and 3.96% the second time - then I got the BSOD error again.

Orthos has been running for a few hours as well by stress testing memory and dual core CPU - went fine without errors.

I am getting ever more confident that it's an issue with the motherboard not fully supporting the quad core CPU I'm using - Prime95 showed an example of that since it tests all 4 cores, whereas Orthos only tests 2 cores.

Cheers,
Bassa
September 11, 2007 2:55:00 PM

airblazer said:
Try removing that audio card then..it could be sharing an irq with your x-fi

Tried removing both the motherboard audio card and the Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro card - without luck. :pfff: 

Cheers,
Bassa
September 11, 2007 3:00:16 PM

Couple questions then for you:

Are you overclocked at all? If so to what extent?

Have you tried different combinations of RAM? IE. Have you tried booting up with 2 sticks, but different combos of 2 sticks to see if you have a bad stick(s) of memory?

Have you tried running something like Rivatuner to clock your video card down to 575 MHZ / 900 MHZ just to see if it is not a video card problem? Also you can set your fan speed to 100% to bring the temps down if it is running hot. (Keep in mind you have to press F8 at each bootup and Disable Driver Signing for Rivatuner's driver to load.

Your problem sounds like it could be driver related, memory related, overclock related or possibly something with your video card.

Unfortunately the IRQ Less than equal is pretty generic and I have seen it pop up on my system when playing around with overclocks as well as having a crappy driver running (Like any Soundblaster sound card in Vista 64 has been horrible for me so far.) I also have seen it when I added more memory (2gb to 4gb) before doing the patch. My friend with a similar system had the same bluescreen problem, and he had bad memory sticks.

Hopefully some combination of this will point us in the right direction.

--inCarnate
September 11, 2007 3:04:20 PM

Run 2 instances of Orthos and press Control + Shift + Escape to bring up the task manager and set the affinity for 1 instance of Orthos to Core 0 and Core 1 and the other for Core 2 and Core 3.

Also did you reset your bios configuration after changing CPU's? When I went from a E6600 to Q6600 my board required me to press a function key to reset once before I could get into bios and look at anything or do anything.

--inCarnate
September 11, 2007 4:22:50 PM

if overclocked...replace with defalt clock speed...then...ahhh...then...HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS...WE GOT TO TURN THE POWER ON TO THE ENTIRE PARK...OR THE T-REX IS GOING TO GET OUT>>>
September 25, 2007 7:23:41 AM

I had the same problem installing X64 Ultimate. The system did in fact have 4 X 1GB DDR2 sticks... removing sticks 2 and 4 let me install without any blue screens. Install your windows updates, and that MS hotfix stated above, reboot and you can put the rest of your memory back in. Pure Microsoft :D 
September 25, 2007 7:01:03 PM

Windows Vista 64 bits is quite recent and I do not think it was intensively tested. My guess is that it may have problems running on some hardware.
September 25, 2007 8:17:27 PM

bassa said:
I've been having some really hard times with my new computer.

I finally managed to get Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed properly, but it still keeps crashing on me. Both while gaming, surfing the web or just "sitting idle" through the night.

This morning, I got this message on the Blue Screen:

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Didn't get to see what it said on the other last few blue screen messages, though.

I've tried almost anything at this point, and created threads here and there to get some qualified help, which I did for the issue with installing Vista 64-bit, but I'm still having major issues with these random hardcore crashes to that damned blue screen.

I am pretty sure that it's my Abit motherboard which is giving me all this hassle, though someone on another forum mentioned that the Quad Core CPU is also having issues with systems that has 4GB RAM or more, though I don't know if that is the case or not.

Any ideas? :heink: 

Cheers,
Bassa

--- SPECS ---
Motherboard: Abit AW9D
CPU: Intel QX6700
RAM: 4 x 1 GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800Mhz
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX KO ACS3
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

It's been a long time since I've seen a bluescreen but that is usually a driver error. I heard that XFi has some problems with X64 so I'd start with Creative drivers. GPU drivers are usually universal.
September 25, 2007 8:36:40 PM

I'd go with Incarnate first. I've seen nothing but bad stuff happen with overclocking in XP and Vista. It can be done but getting the happy medium isn't always easy.

Default settings first.

Blue Screens in XP and Vista tend to be hardware failures or poorly written hardware drivers. If Microsoft has a WHQL driver, use that for the time being.
September 25, 2007 8:40:56 PM

relaod your drivers for gpu

check your settings on the video display
September 25, 2007 8:43:53 PM

remove intel chip set update

boot system is safe mode - does it work?
diable all devices in the device manger gpu, sound, networking, game ports etc

does it work?

runs msconfig - turn off all start up and diable all non microsoft settings in services
does it work?

roll back sysgtem to when it worked and figure out what u did to make it not work

you have driver conflict
September 25, 2007 8:44:41 PM

make sure your date and time are correct and check you key and activation is it correct
September 25, 2007 9:03:07 PM

Install 163.71 driver, and check if the problem continues.
September 25, 2007 9:12:33 PM

I'm running A Q6600 with 4 x 1 mb dims... no issues whatsoever.

I did get my first blue screen playing TF2. I can't remember the message, but after updating my 8800GTX drivers, I haven't had a single problem.

Please read my disclaimer.
a c 99 à CPUs
September 26, 2007 3:04:03 AM

bassa said:
Installed that patch days ago. Unplugged 2GB RAM, installed Vista 64, applied the patch, shutdown, re-installed 2GB RAM, rebooted and done.

Cheers,
Bassa

Why in the heck would a 64-bit OS not recognize 4 GB RAM? Isn't that pretty much the entire point of it? I'd demand to exchange it with XP x(86_)64 or get a refund because that's simply not acceptable.
September 27, 2007 6:28:55 PM

i am having same kinda issue.. I have asus c90 with vista ultimate 64 bit edition, 3gb memory... each time i try n use the inbuilt webcam the system crash and i get the blue screen.. i tried to use the above mentioned patch but it brought no luck.. it only happens when i try n use the webcam.. i re installed the drier from the asus website.. same issue.. any one have any clue on this??

thanks heaps in advance
adey.
September 27, 2007 6:58:35 PM

Wait so in order to install Vista 64bit you have to remove 2gb of your ram??? (i have 4gb as well).
September 30, 2007 6:41:56 AM

Hi, you said,

"I finally managed to get Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed properly, but it still keeps crashing on me. Both while gaming, surfing the web or just "sitting idle" through the night."

SO I took that as your instal was ok, and you are set with drivers and updates, hot fixes, etc.
I have the same type issues that only started after a few months of pretty solid performance.

We also have similiar specs,

Asus p5k
Intel duo core 2 extreme x6800 @ 3.51
crucial ballistix pc8500 4x1 gig @ 1000 mhz
Evga 8800gtx superclocked 621/2000
X-Fi extreme gamers card
7800 inspire 7.1 speaker system
Antec trio 650 psu
Plextar 16x dual layer dvd/rw
seagate 400 gig sata 7200.10
Zalman 9700 cpu cooler
Thermaltake Armor 8000bws full tower
dual boot Win xp pro/ Win Vista ultimate 64

I run a dual boot config and share the pc with win xp pro/win vista 64 ultimate.
My Windows Vista all of a sudden after a few months or zero problems started crashing, to the point where one day it wouldnt boot.

for a week or so though shortly after reboot I would randomly get a blue screen, wether i was gaming, or browsing, or whatever, this went on until on day I couldnt get a clean boot at all just crash or hang everytime.

I ran over 30 days without a reboot on the same pc booted in winxp pro, during a time when vista wouldnt even boot.
And all this started after a few months.

I read all over and lookd at several things, I also decided to take out my vid card and clean the inside of my case with a vacuum.

After cleaning out my case and vid card and putting it all back, i am noticing I can go for a few hours anyway and indefinetly I guess.
First time i ran it since then and it ran for several hours and then crashed while watching a video.
I am thinking simply heat or heat surges possibly when gaming, or at various times.

I have a pretty good case for cooling, a Thermaltake Armor 8000bws full tower and a Zalman 9700 on the cpu.

The pc sits less than a foot away from a window A/C that is usualy on 24/7 until winter.

The cpu runs under 100F normaly.

The vid card is stock cooling for the EVGA Superclocked model.

The system when i first built it ran flawlessly for months, then all of a sudden only in Vista 64 did I get the crashes and Blue screen, and then no boot, after reading a lot of stuff, all I did was update windows and clean the case out, lol, but it has been fine.

I am going to look for somthing to enhance my cooling system within the case in terms of flow.
just thought I would mention the super obvious stuff sometimes gets overlooked.

I have been building systems for quite a while now and its easy to be over confident, or not monitor properly.

I would say check your temps and use a program like Rivatuner to check your vid card temps and set its fan speed to 100% full time as well, just a thought and it may help.

All over the net many are having the same issues while many others are having no problems, often either power supply issues or just not enough and heat.

I also had similair issues one other time and it was a hard drive that had failed and was causing problems, but that would be fairly obvious also and I am sure you would have already found that in your case.

Good luck,

Hope your fix is as simple as mine.

September 30, 2007 7:05:14 PM

A little update.
Since cleaning the box, I then updated vista completely and both Os's have been solid since.
this pc stays on 24/7 when it isnt having an issue, and for the first time in a long time I have not had any trouble.
I realy think heat played a significant role in the issues I was experiencing.
Lump
October 16, 2007 12:50:49 PM

I too have this "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" blue screen every once in a while. I leave my machine on 24/7. Every few days I get the same blue screen.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2007 1:49:56 PM

My understanding of this is that "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" usually means there was an error between a (bad) driver and Virtual memory.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2007 2:06:41 PM

Sorry if this has been suggested already, long thread, but does the system crash when two sticks of RAM are in it? I know you applied the patch mentioned earlier, but some motherboards have problems when all 4 RAM slots are occupied. Definitely try two sticks or less and see if you still crash.
October 16, 2007 6:24:47 PM

Bassa,

It's a little late but i thought i'd share with you:

I was having the exact same error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL a few months back when i built a AM2 system around a aBit KN9S. With mine i couldn't get Vista 32bit installed without that lousy BSOD error once installation files were copied from the disc and it restarts afterwards to continue the installation.

Because you are actually able to get into the OS, and because you get the error relating to the CPU, it may not be related after all, but it sounds similar so i thought i'd mention it anyway.

Anyway, in the end it turns out it's a well known issue with the KN9S not providing enough voltage to the RAM (of which i had 2GB). Bumping it up from 1.8v to 1.9v sorted it completely and it's been splendid ever since. I'm just thinking maybe it's not the only board to have those issues

riskyfrisky
October 16, 2007 7:36:38 PM

A couple things:

1) If you are running 4x1 GB RAM at 800 MHz, downclock it to 667 MHz and see if that helps. A lot of boards, including my Striker Extreme, don't like four sticks of RAM at high speed. My advice would be set it to run in sync mode, it's often just as fast or faster at that setting. I've often seen the IRQ BSOD because of RAM settings that were not stable.

2) If you are overclocked, either try increasing your VCore voltage (within safe/comfortable margins) or ease off the overclock a bit. I myself recently ran into the "clock interrupt" BSOD (processor deadlocked) under very specific circumstances with my OC (it would only do it under a video transcode test). I ended up having increase the VCore quite a bit more before it was stable under all conditions.

-dolynick
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2009 1:07:48 PM

thakzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2009 1:16:01 PM

thakzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
!