Memory Problem

Danielr03

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Having trouble upgrading my memory from 2 x 512mb pc3200 ddr 400 to 2x 1gb pc3200 ddr 400.

The motherboard just hangs after I have installed the new RAM, and I have tried switching them around, mix combos of new and old, singlular etc to no success.

My motherboard is Jetway A350DMS - I have a sneaky suspician that it could be due to the CAS Latency setting... but i'm insure if my motherboard can support 3.0 CAS Latency.

Mobo manual at :

http://download.jetway.com.tw/download.asp?sorder=Name&sword=A350DMS

Memory Specifications:
Up to 3.2 GB/sec of peak bandwidth using PC3200 DIMMs (with DDR400 memory chips).
JEDEC Standard.
184 pin DIMM,
non-ECC.
DIMM Lead pitch: 1.27 mm. 2.5 Volts. SSTL-2 I/O Interface. SPD Support. Support for Memory Chip Stacking.

Danielr03

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

I have already tried this.

Just for the record it's cheap memory, none of this fancy built in self configuration kingston stuff.

Danielr03

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

Would I be in danger of damaging the RAM if I was to adjust the voltage? The specification says 2.5... but i'm not sure what to believe as it's purely an ebay sellers word.

Ignorant buying memory from ebay, i'll learn from this experience.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
2.6 Is what most ddr boards were set to default to after a certain manufacturing point, so no, I don't think you could damage it.

sailer

Splendid

Bought it on Ebay? That means there is a fair possibility that the ram is bad. Try the ram in another machine if you can, one stick at a time. If it works at all in the other machine, run memtest with it to figure out if there are any errors. Yes, a lot of people have learned that buying electrical equipment from Ebay is a gamble. You might get something good, but you can just as easily get junk.

Danielr03

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Just tried changing voltage to 2.6 - no success
Changed CAS latency to 3 - no success

After a clear cmos - I did get the system to boot, beep, then count 2gb of memory - but where it should then report the speed / dual chennel, my system simply hangs and occasionally pixcels start to random fill all over the screen...

Any ideas?

sailer

Splendid
Compatability could be a problem. Some motherboards are picky about what ram they will accept. You should be able to check the manual or website for compatable ram and see if the new ram is listed.