patware

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Hi all,

A budy and I are getting ready to buy/build our next Developer's machine. We both are using Vista, MS development platforms (Visual Studio 2005, BizTalk, Sql Server, ASP.Net, etc.) and running 1 or more Virtual PC images.

From what we can see, we need an extreme "gaming" machine without the extreme graphics card. Fast CPU, Fast RAM and Fast HD.

The HD seems to be our biggest area of debate. SATA/SCSI, RAID or not to RAID (and if so, which RAID configuration?). Many smaller disks or lesser but bigger.

One thing I can say is that the HD is always in the Red... I've seen Average Disk Queue Length up to 200 !!!!

Here's what we believe is a good fit (without spending 10 000$) !
■Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 P35 ATX
■CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB/1066FSB S775
■RAM: 4 Gigs, Corsair (already forgot the model, sheesh..)
■HD: ???
■- Primary (programs and OS) A super fast and low access time: Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 500GB 7200RPM ??? or SCSI ?
■- Others (Dev + Virtual PC Hard Disks): reliability is more of a concern. Again, Hitachi seems to win there too!

In 1 year, the Solid State/Flash Drives will be great for primary drives.
■Video: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Ko ACS Edition Graphics Card

We've had so many HD scenarios that it would be nasty to print out here....

But, as far as we can see, for the primary drive, OS + Program Files, the need is for a quicker access time for dealing with a very large number of small files all over the place. 250-320 Gig is a great start.

For the Secondary drive(s), realiability is more of a concern. The
■D: drive could be used for dev: A large amount of small files, many reads/writes. So, a nimble drive. Again, 250-320 is a good size.
■E: drive for Virtual PCs... Few but large (10-50Gig) files. A 500-750 seems to be a good bet.

On an end-note, Flight Simulator is the kind of game I "play", but very rarely.

Life's short, have fun.

Comments?

Pat

patware

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Update after talking with the "buddy"...

- The memory is the Corsair Dominator: Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory (4-4-4-12)

- The Video is the "non-Ko" EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (savings to put on a better disk)