Sign in with
Your question

buying an xbox 360 and a ps3 but i want to play it on my computer....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 25, 2007 3:08:46 AM

ok well i guess my question goes into here because it has more to do with video cards than consoles but here it goes.

I have a top of the line computer and was wondering is it possible to play xbox 360 / ps3 / ps3 xbox or any console for that matter on my computer? meaning i just want to be able to use the computer as a monitor so i can actually play a game.

if anyone know how to do this please let me know because i have been wondering this for ages.
September 25, 2007 3:36:51 AM

easiest way is to have a input switcher.
September 25, 2007 3:58:04 AM

could you give me a link for one of these things?

also, how will i be able to see it on my monitor: example: i hook the input switcher up and what do i do to make it show on my pc?
Related resources
September 25, 2007 4:32:19 AM

No, it would just be a device that split the signal going into/out of your monitor...one branch would have your PC, the other the console.

A switch of some sort (button, switch, or electronic) would change the input.

Otherwise, you'd need a TV Tuner card, and a stomach to accept too much lag to play your games.
September 25, 2007 4:38:01 AM

With that suggestion all you'd be doing is moving the signal from a standard TV to his monitor and in no way actually using his PC; which I gather is what he wants to do? In either case the TV tuner card will do that, but as for porting the game from the XBOX360 to your PC, not possible. Well, not until an emulator comes out for it... ;) 
September 25, 2007 7:36:04 AM

Yeah... I tried hooking up a console to a TV tuner just because I was bored and the quality was terrible. Also there was quite a bit of lag from the controller to what was going on the game (press button..... 1 second later.... Response).

If your going PS3/360 a good monitor would probably do the trick. One that would have 1:1 pixel mapping so your image isnt distorted. I've got a Dell 24 and plays great with the 360 using VGA. Havent tried hooking up a PS3 (HDMI-DVI) but I've heard good things especially with the HC model.

Other great monitors include the Gateway and the BenQ and I'm sure theres more out there.
September 25, 2007 2:28:03 PM

thanks everyone for your answers! nothing like waking up in the morning and seeing tons of comments from people that want to help :) .

yeah, i got a benq 20.1 widescreen monitor . it has the white connector to my computer ( i think its the other format besides vga. i think its DVI) since it connects to my 8800gts without any problems.

all i want to do is connect my monitor to either an xbox 360 or a ps3 and be able to play my games with no lag :)  . so pchoi04 or anyone else for that matter, what type of device do i need to get for this to work?
September 25, 2007 3:33:25 PM

have you really never heard of google, or reading the manual

you don't "play the console through your computer", but you can connect your console to a PC monitor

there are loads of posts about his on PS3/Xbox related forums, go search them instead
September 25, 2007 4:12:23 PM

justinmcg67 said:
If your going PS3/360 a good monitor would probably do the trick. One that would have 1:1 pixel mapping so your image isnt distorted. I've got a Dell 24 and plays great with the 360 using VGA. Havent tried hooking up a PS3 (HDMI-DVI) but I've heard good things especially with the HC model.

This is exactly the setup I have , an xbox 360 elite hooked up to a 24" Dell monitor playing 1080p (1:1) connected through the HDMI cable converted to DVI. Don't forget, you still need audio.

I'm using something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186016
September 25, 2007 5:15:04 PM

andybird123 said:
have you really never heard of google, or reading the manual

you don't "play the console through your computer", but you can connect your console to a PC monitor

there are loads of posts about his on PS3/Xbox related forums, go search them instead

nope, just a lazy person who wants a link so i can go out and buy it.
September 25, 2007 10:01:16 PM

You can't play consoles on your computer.
You can, however, connect them to your PC monitor, which is what I'm assuming you want.
Anyway, this is what you'd need:
http://www.x2vga.com/
Hope that helps.
September 25, 2007 10:37:25 PM

If you want to hook up your 360 to your current computer monitor using VGA... You can... Problem is, it wont be in the right aspect ratio leaving your image squished; you can stretch it out but you lose picture off to the sides. Many 24" screens support 1:1 pixel mapping which allows you to play your games in its native aspect ratio/resolution without having to stretch out the image. I also plan to hook up a PS3 to my monitor using HDMI to DVI, but because my computer is occupying this input I will need a HDMI switcher.
September 26, 2007 3:35:55 AM

i got a 20.1 ' montior from benq. how do i know that it uses 1:1 pixel mapping?
September 26, 2007 7:10:05 AM

google it
September 26, 2007 8:54:01 AM

most PC monitors do 1:1 mapping
September 26, 2007 9:04:05 AM

pchoi04 said:
I also plan to hook up a PS3 to my monitor using HDMI to DVI, but because my computer is occupying this input I will need a HDMI switcher.

FYI: PS3 requires HDCP support
September 26, 2007 12:22:36 PM

Wow, that was a bit misleading! I though a PS3/XBOX emulator came out to emulate games on the pc but I guess that would require tremendus raw power to achieve!
September 26, 2007 1:05:18 PM

blashyrkh said:
Wow, that was a bit misleading! I though a PS3/XBOX emulator came out to emulate games on the pc but I guess that would require tremendus raw power to achieve!
It'll be years before we'll have CPUs powerful enough to emulate an Xbox360 or PS3 game.
September 26, 2007 2:18:44 PM

They're still having problems properly emulating the PS2, to say nothing of the PS3 or 360... (granted, a lot of the emulation difficulty with the PS2 has to do with the weird architecture rather than anything to do with the actual power of the system)
September 26, 2007 10:53:54 PM

Heyyou27 said:
It'll be years before we'll have CPUs powerful enough to emulate an Xbox360 or PS3 game.

... computers have more power than an xbox 360 or ps3 . its just that we dont have people making emulators in a timely fashion :p 
September 26, 2007 11:10:19 PM

andybird123 said:
FYI: PS3 requires HDCP support

Dell 2407WFP-HC does support HDCP.
September 27, 2007 12:23:17 AM

Buy a LCD TV with 2 or 3 HDMI Inputs that also has a PC Input.

Plug the computer into the TV via the VGA connector
Plug the consoles in with HDMI or Component Video
Done
September 27, 2007 12:51:35 AM

pinaplex said:
why don't you just use a xbox360 to VGA adapter.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

it's HD and you can hook it up to the VGA port on your monitor without having to worry about anything else.....

You can use VGA... It fact thats how I have it hooked up to my monitor. But... the issue is that 360 doesnt support computer monitor resolutions and because computer monitors are shorter from left to right you will get a squished picture. Now when using a monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping you can display the image in native 1080p and maintain its aspect ratio. Many 360 customers are very dispointed that microsoft isnt supporting 1440x900 and 1680x1050 resolutions in which most wide screen 19 and 22inch monitors happen to be in.

Casper42 said:
Buy a LCD TV with 2 or 3 HDMI Inputs that also has a PC Input.

Plug the computer into the TV via the VGA connector
Plug the consoles in with HDMI or Component Video
Done

You could do that but most LCD TVs smaller than 40" dont support 1080p resolutions in which both PS3 and 360 Support. Not that its a big issue because its still going to look great. Only thing is even for a moderate sized 720p LCD TV you will spend a premium for over an LCD Monitor.
September 27, 2007 3:39:48 PM

I am glad I found this post because its the exact same thing Ive been wanting to do for a while. But I am still confused as to how to approach this.

I have a 24" LCD monitor with two outputs. One VGA and the other the DVI. I dont have any inputs in the monitor itself (the red, yellow and white plugs). But I have a 8800gtx with an option with a S-video output. I dont know what to do (of if its even possible to do so).

Do I go with the xbox360 to VGA adapter? Plugging the VGA directly to the unused VGA slot in my monitor and plugging the red and white connectors into my sub woofer?

Or

Do i need to purchace something similar like the http://www.x2vga.com/ that bash007 had mentioned?

I know it may seem simple to do but I am just having a memory block at the moment and cant piece it together. Thank you :) 
September 29, 2007 8:35:52 PM

A good chunk of Xbox 360 games are for the PC to begin with and you can just plug the Xbox 360 controller into your PC and play them that way. It's what I do, screw consoles. :) 
September 29, 2007 10:16:02 PM

...... my brain. its fine to ask questions like this. but rather do your home work because you need to show that you are worth your so called top of the line pc. a king is not going to ask people on how to use a sword and that he is going to get top of the range sword, without knowing how to use one. as you said, "just a lazy person who wants a link so i can go out and buy it". dont know how you can have top of the range everything, which covers more hardcore questions than a question on how to connect xbox to lcd..... thats kinda like paris hilton, buy top of the range car but ask questions like how to use the cd player in the car. rather do google then to post a forum. cus it damages brains. but credit for trying anyways.
!