mysterymantis

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hello everyone, first post.

Ok, I am running windows xp pro sp2, AMD Athelon64 X2, ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe, 2Gb Corsair XMS RAM, 2x Nvidia 8800 GT in SLI, 2x Seagate Barracuda HDD 250GB (No raid, just 2 Independent drives), Creative Soundblaster Audigy Zs.

I haven't made any real changes lately, but my computer keeps locking up on me. It doesn't happen with any specific program, sometimes I will be playing a game and it will freeze, sometimes it happens when playing a video, sometimes it happens when the screen saver is on. After it locks up, I can still ctrl alt delete to bring up that menu, but as soon as I click on anything the computer locks up, and I have to use the reset button to reboot. On reboot nothing unusual happens, no recovery screen, nothing. Just reboots, and runs fine until it locks again, usually within a few minutes to an hour.

I did got a BSOD one time. This is the info from that.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x0000001C, 0x00000000, 0x8053736E)

I have already swapped the RAM for RAM that I know works. Problem still happens.

Any thoughts? I wasn't sure if this was the right forum to post the question, but I didn't see a troubleshooting forum. Thank you for any help you can offer.

mysterymantis

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I did not solve it. But on a brighter note I had been saving up for a new build anyway, so no real big deal. :p

Intel Core i7 920
ASUS P6X58D Premium mobo
3x 2Gb Corsiar XMS3 DDR3 1600 Tri-chan (6Gb total)
2x Nvidia 8800GT in SLI
2x 250Gb Seagate Barracuda SATA no RAID
850W Corsair PSU
Antec Twelve Hundred case

I haven't OC'd any of this. The GPUs, HDDs, and PSU are all carried over from a previous build.

So with the new system, I get all the stuff installed, and it doesn't work. I power on and all the lights come on, the fans spin, but I get no Boot. No POST, nothing on the screen, no beeps. The mem ok light is on and it is red. I didn't know what that meant so I looked in the manual. It says that means the RAM is not properly installed.

So I verify that they are all in the correct slots, and they are. I pull them all out and start putting them in, one at a time, and none of them work. I take a stick from a working computer and it doesn't work. I try it on every slot, same. I take my Corsair RAM and try it in the working computer, and it all works. I power on the system with no RAM installed, and same thing; no boot, no post, nothing on screen.

After all that I put the Corsair RAM in and took out the video cards. I them put a 9800 GT from a working computer in and the problem is the same.

So, any thoughts? Aside from assuming that the board is defective, I don't know what else to try to eliminate problems. I have heard that ASUS has had some problems recently with RAM slots not working. I may have fallen victim to that. Maybe a jumper I don’t know about? As far as I can see the only jumpers on the board are related to OC’ing, and I didn’t change any of them. Let me know what ya’ll think.