Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is there a secret to using Dell reinstallation disks

Last response: in Windows XP
February 28, 2010 12:29:51 PM

I have a totally wiped hard drive in a Dell dimension 4700 computer. I have the five disks that Dell provides to reinstall onto hard drive. When I try and install Windows XP it gets about a third of the way and then I start getting error messages. “Setup cannot copy the file: ***.*** or “The file ***.*** was not copied correctly” To retry press ENTER, To skip this file, press ESC. The other four disks seem to be just as useless. Is there some secret key stroke or combination of key strokes needed to use these disks? Dell is interested for 49.99 this is what they call support. Have reset to default settings in BIOS and it is just a plain Jane computer the way it was when sister-in-law bought it.

Best solution

February 28, 2010 2:18:08 PM

Either your CD is damaged, the optical drive is defective or the hard drive is defective. Try and obtain a copy of Ultimate Boot CD and perform diagnostics on the hard drive to eliminate it as the cause. Check the Dell Windows CD for scratches / smudges. There is no magic combination of keystrokes to fix hardware issues.
March 10, 2010 3:55:51 PM

Zoron said:
Either your CD is damaged, the optical drive is defective or the hard drive is defective. Try and obtain a copy of Ultimate Boot CD and perform diagnostics on the hard drive to eliminate it as the cause. Check the Dell Windows CD for scratches / smudges. There is no magic combination of keystrokes to fix hardware issues.

I put the drives into another computer and it loaded XP fine so I think it is the hard drive Thank You
March 10, 2010 4:04:37 PM

Best answer selected by Waterford64.
!