First time system builder...need advice

Hey, well my 3 year old dell's mother board just shorted and plan on making a new computer using some of my old computer's parts. Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated.

New psu: OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply
New Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
New processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750
New Ram: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK

along with this i will be using my old video card (Geforce 6800 256 mb), Old harddrives (80 gb maxtor diamond, 300gb wd caviar), old Cd and dvd drives.

I was also wondering if the ocz 600w power supply would be sufficient for this build and if i should go with a mid size or full size tower.

help please!

thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about first time system builder need advice
  1. Your PSU will work fine, actually for your build it would be under utilized, but it would work fine and be ready for future upgrades. I use Mid sized towers for my builds, but if you want/need more room later and want a full size tower, than get it.
    If you want to save some $ and upgrade your GPU (which I don't know if you need to), than you could get a 450w Corsair PSU (good enough for 1 8800gtx) ~$80, drop the mobo down to a Gigabyte DS3L for ~$101 shipped, which might save you about $100 or so. Not sure what your plans are for the build, but just thought I'd throw it out for your perusal. Otherwise your build is just fine!

My 2cp's
  2. I am wondering if you old HD and CD/DVD will work? Is it IDE or SATA? Make sure you get the correct stuff.
  3. Add a GA-P35-DS3R and a P182 case and you're all set. That OCZ will even be enough if you get an 8800 GTS later to replace your old video card.

No need for P5W-DH, I would only recommend that for a CrossFire setup.

With the GA-P35-DS3R you can reuse 2 IDE devices (say, the 300GB disk and the DVD).

The DS3L is also a good choice, but I'd prefer the DS3R. For an additional $30 you get RAID support, the ability to use 8 SATA devices instead of 4, a newer onboard audio chip, and better capacitors.

About the case: on second thought, P182 is expensive. You're better off with a decent but cheap case like Centurion 534 and using the savings to upgrade to Q6600.
  4. aevm said:
    Add a GA-P35-DS3R and a P182 case and you're all set. That OCZ will even be enough if you get an 8800 GTS later to replace your old video card.

No need for P5W-DH, I would only recommend that for a CrossFire setup.

With the GA-P35-DS3R you can reuse 2 IDE devices (say, the 300GB disk and the DVD).

The DS3L is also a good choice, but I'd prefer the DS3R. For an additional $30 you get RAID support, the ability to use 8 SATA devices instead of 4, a newer onboard audio chip, and better capacitors.

About the case: on second thought, P182 is expensive. You're better off with a decent but cheap case like Centurion 534 and using the savings to upgrade to Q6600.

Second that. Just another option to consider :sol:
  5. lunyone said:
    Second that. Just another option to consider :sol:

Thanks guys
    i will be going with the DS3L due to the ide connectors on my cd and dvd drives. I also will be using a Antec true power trio 650 watt psu instead of the ocz (saved me $50). So i just saved about a $100 right there.
    I was looking at computer cases and was debating between the cheaper $70 Centurion 5 or the $140 antec nine hundred...anyone have suggestions? (btw i cannot order cases online because shipping to hawaii for 1 case is $100+ so i dont have much of a selection..)
    Im wondering if having those extra 2-3 fans makes the antec 900 worth $70 more than the centurion 5.
    anyone?

btw thanks for helping me reduce some of the cost on my soon to be computer.
  6. sattz54 said:
    Thanks guys
    i will be going with the DS3L due to the ide connectors on my cd and dvd drives. I also will be using a Antec true power trio 650 watt psu instead of the ocz (saved me $50). So i just saved about a $100 right there.
    I was looking at computer cases and was debating between the cheaper $70 Centurion 5 or the $140 antec nine hundred...anyone have suggestions? (btw i cannot order cases online because shipping to hawaii for 1 case is $100+ so i dont have much of a selection..)
    Im wondering if having those extra 2-3 fans makes the antec 900 worth $70 more than the centurion 5.
    anyone?

btw thanks for helping me reduce some of the cost on my soon to be computer.

For the amount of $ difference, I would get the Centurion 5 case, but that is just me. Than you would've saved ~$170 for which you can use to upgrade your GPU sooner or later. :D
  7. sattz54 said:
    Hey, well my 3 year old dell's mother board just shorted and plan on making a new computer using some of my old computer's parts. Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated.

New psu: OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply
    New Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
    New processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750
    New Ram: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK

along with this i will be using my old video card (Geforce 6800 256 mb), Old harddrives (80 gb maxtor diamond, 300gb wd caviar), old Cd and dvd drives.

I was also wondering if the ocz 600w power supply would be sufficient for this build and if i should go with a mid size or full size tower.

help please!

thanks

If you are going with the DS3L, which is what I have, I recommend either Corsair XMS(TWIN2X2048-6400C4), or OCZ Platinum(OCZ2P800R22GK) memory with the same timings(CAS4). The Gigabytes, especially this one, do not play so well with 2.2v memory. The DS3 series boards work best with 1.8v memory. It will save you a lot of headaches, and possible RMA's.. I am not much a fan of Patriot anyway, at any voltage.

I also use a Centurion 5 case CAC-T05-UB Black/Blue. Excellent quality and airflow.

Everything else on your list should serve you well.
  8. I just got this coolermaster case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137&Tpk=rc-690

I really like it and it was decently priced. Since you are in HI though and dont want to shell out the money for shipping, which I wouldnt either, I am not sure if this model is available to you or not. Just letting ya know!
  9. so the 2.1v corsair memory would work okay?
    is it a fact that gigabyte mobo's dont work well with 2.2v ram?
    thanks
  10. The 2.1v CAS4 is what this memory can overclock to. The default is CAS5 at 1.8v. I read the 2.2v DS3 problem thing, mostly involving Crucial Ballistix, in several forums, and then confirmed at a few local build shops. According to the local guys, the Gigabyte DS3 boards work best when memory is at the 1.8v the DS3's are spec'ed at. Then they got into a bunch of jargon about traces and capacitors, etc... that flew over my head.

Also, Crucial says Ballistix works on DS3 at 2.2v, Gigabyte says no.

My rejection of the Patriot was mainly based on experience, and talking to local vendors regarding return rates. The fact that it was rated at 2.2v was secondary.

Bottom line is, the best memory that I know of for the DS3 boards are either the XMS or OCZ Platinum set to 1.8v. If I had a PHD in computer science, I could probably explain why.
  11. tlmck said:
    The 2.1v CAS4 is what this memory can overclock to. The default is CAS5 at 1.8v. I read the 2.2v DS3 problem thing, mostly involving Crucial Ballistix, in several forums, and then confirmed at a few local build shops. According to the local guys, the Gigabyte DS3 boards work best when memory is at the 1.8v the DS3's are spec'ed at. Then they got into a bunch of jargon about traces and capacitors, etc... that flew over my head.

Also, Crucial says Ballistix works on DS3 at 2.2v, Gigabyte says no.

My rejection of the Patriot was mainly based on experience, and talking to local vendors regarding return rates. The fact that it was rated at 2.2v was secondary.

Bottom line is, the best memory that I know of for the DS3 boards are either the XMS or OCZ Platinum set to 1.8v. If I had a PHD in computer science, I could probably explain why.

lol thanks alot for your input. ill be going with the Corsair xms ram instead of the patriot. Gonna order the parts later tonight.

thanks everyone again
  12. Good luck and let us know how things worked out. Check back after running it for a while, so we can know how it all worked out for you.
  13. sattz54 said:
    lol thanks alot for your input. ill be going with the Corsair xms ram instead of the patriot. Gonna order the parts later tonight.

thanks everyone again

For what it's worth, I have been using Corsair XMS and value lines for many years on various MB brands, and they have never,ever, failed me.

Most recently I got a steal of a deal on the OCZ Platinum, and put it on a DS3L board. Posted first time, and running 4 months without a hitch. My other DS3R machine runs XMS of course.
  14. I just built three systems on the GA-P35-DQ6 with the Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). That RAM is on Gigabytes Compatible memory page and I had absolutely no problem with any of the three systems. OC to 3G/1333 with RAM at 1666 4:5 divider.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product