Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Hey all.

I know a horde of people have purchased the Centurion 5 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068) case and I was hoping to glean some knowledge from those of you that might have experience in cooling the thing.

I'm planning on a new build with the Cent5 and have noticed in my mobo reviews that extra cooling on the Bridges is a good idea. So in addition to the two Cent5 fans I would like to add another 80mm or 120mm fan to the side. Furthermore I would love it if I could add a 120mm fan to the External 5.25 bay area. I remember seeing a product that would install vertically in that space to draw even more air into the case through the mesh front.

If you have any ideas or insights into my cooling conundrum please let me know. I sincerely appreciate any tips/hints. Thanks.

randomizer

Champion
Sorry that this is a late reply, I haven't been around lately. I have that case and it is very good for cooling, but a little on the small side. It gets alot of dust on the front though, especially down where the front fan is. Keeps my HDD around 18C which is very nice. I need stick a fan on the side, I just got to find one.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Randomizer - have you tried, with any success, mounting a case fan on the side panel? I would image with the holes drilled into the side that it would be easy to mount an 80mm or even a 120mm fan.

Or have you tried to stick a 120mm behind the 5.25 bays?

Kazzi1

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
You can place a 80mm fan on the side where the duct is and a 92mm fan under it. The 92mm blows air straight onto your video card.
If you really want to place a 120mm fan in the 5.25 drive bays (why are fans in metric but drive bays in imperial?) you'll need to plan a little in advance. Place your optical drive(s) in the lowest bays and leave the top and lowest unused drive bay interal cover (the steal ones) in place. You can then put your 120mm in and hold it in place with the steal plates. The plates are firmly attached and will hold it comfortably.
Hope that helps.

randomizer

Champion

Yea thats quite easy, I just don't have a fan to do it with :(

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Those are awesome tips. Thanks Kazzi.

Does anyone know if I could fit a fan on the side panel even with an 8800 GPU? I know it will fit in the case... but not sure about with another fan mounted on the side.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Some of the only specs that I've found state

"12.62cm Height x 3.63cm Thickness x 22.86cm Length"

I've seen some slightly different sizes but they tend to hover around those dimensions.