Intel C2Q - Temp Bios

warpmaster

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Hi all

ive read the awesome Computronix's guide(well, not all). Ive take a lot of notes for me and i hope will be very helpul at the future. But now i have a normal question(medium user question). I think there are a more updated BIOS than i have in this moment to Intel D975xbx2 but take a look to this few parameters:

(Case removed - Only Cpu Fan)

CPU Intel C2Q 2.66 Ghz Q6700
Bios Bx97520j.86A.2214.2006.1023.1710
CPU Voltage Override <Default>
Processor Multiplier [10]
x Host Clock Frequency (Mhz) [300]

Processor Fan Speed 5150 / 5000 rpm
Processor Temperature 71
Internal Temperature 29
Remote Temperature 25

And another few parameters(i don't know what are these)

V12.0 11.937V
V5.0 4.954V
V3.3 3.250V
V1.5 1.450V
Vccp 1.207 V

I didn't buy this motherboard, is from my boss and i have it temporaly. I read at Bios that Processor Multiplier and xHost Clock Frequency do a 3.00Ghz total Cpu frequency but the normal specs of Q6700 are 2.66 Ghz, so .... Are correct this values?

I don't know what i must do first, upgrade the BIOS or make "Load Default Settings" to Bios because i dont know if my boss or another guy changed default values of BIOS.

Thanks ;)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
warpmaster, I see that you have an Intel "Bad Axe" board paired with a Q6700, which is a G0 Stepping processor. The 975X chipset doesn't overclock Quads much beyond 3.0Ghz with stability, due to limitations of the memory controller to handle the throughput demands of 4 Cores. It should run fine at 3.0Ghz (10 x 300), so if you can verify in the Guide that the temperatures are correct and don't exceed specs, then enjoy the rig.

Comp :sol:

warpmaster

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007

Thanks Comutronix by yours advices. Yes, i have a Bad Axe motherboard with C2Q Q6700. Im trying to follow step by step your guide to minimize the Temp to Q6700.

The purpose of the following procedure is to decrease Idle power consumption and heat dissipation by manually setting BIOS to the lowest common denominators for Vcore and frequency among C2Q / C2D variants and motherboards. The Idle Test is conducted offline with Windows programs closed, 1.25 Vcore, 1.6 Ghz, computer case covers removed, and all fans at 100%

How i can change the Vcore value to 1.25 ?I don't know which name parameter inside Bios is "Vcore". I believe that is "CPU Voltage Override". This parameter is configured to Default. But i cant change to 1.25 because the lower option is 1.285. I changed Processor Speed manually to 1.6 Ghz(but this is underclocking the cpu isn't it?) and im testing without covers and cooler fan to 100%.

With the changes that i made, Hardware Monitor still show 71-70º of temperature so with your guide in other hand, im in HOT level : /

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot! :bounce:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
warpmaster, please complete the following list of variables.

Ambient = Room Temp ??c
Chipset = 975X
C2Q = Q6700
CPU Cooler = Model ???
Frequency = 3.0Ghz
Load = Test Program ???
Motherboard = Intel D975X BX2
Stepping = G0
Vcore = CPU Voltage ???

Aslo, please use the programs listed under Section 8 -Tools - so we can see your Idle and Load test results. If you're using Intel's stock cooler, then the problem may simply be that it's not securerly seated.

warpmaster

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Ambient = Room Temp 20º
Chipset = 975X
C2Q = Q6700
CPU Cooler = Model <Default C2Q Cooler>
Frequency = 3.0Ghz
Load = Test Program <BIOS - Hardware Monitor>
Motherboard = Intel D975X BX2
Stepping = G0
Vcore = CPU Voltage <Default>

I completed the variables: 20-25º is more or less the temp in my bedromm, cooler is the Boxed Fan Heatskin(i dont want to buy another :(), im testing temp from BIOS because i didnt install windows or linux so i cant use any program; and the most importan question. When you speak about Vcore ill suppose you are speakin about "CPU Voltage Override" ?

Thanks

CompuTronix

Intel Master
(1) "20c to 25c more or less" is quite a wide variation, so it's important to be more specific.

(2) Does your BIOS indicate 71F? Also, testing in BIOS is invalid. The Guide requires that Idle and Load tests be conducted in Windows using the software shown in Section 8 - Tools.

(3) Since there are so many motherboard and BIOS combinations, I don't maintain a database, so I can't advise you with 100% certainty which selection pertains to Vcore, but CPU Voltage override seems appropriate.

warpmaster

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Im waiting to know how i can setup RAID 0 with this motherboard. When i will have RAID 0 configured, i will start again with test of your guide.

Thanks by your answers!