D8E aka 8950GX2

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3245&Itemid=1

Early 2008, GX2 like

Nvidia's next generation high end part
will have two PCB cards. The card codenamed D8E or the one that we
called G90 %u2013 G92 for months will be GX2 like.

We wrote about such a card back in
March when our Cuda sources confirmed that Nvidia has such a design
in plans.

Desktop 8 series Enthusiast is
scheduled for first months of 2008 and will need a lot of power. It is
a 65 part, or lets say it will have two chips each 65 nanometre with its
own memory. This will bring back the Quad SLI concept in the game.

If you don't trust us, ask Nvidia.

---------------

I dont care if you dont trust Fud, I want this to be true so much im going to trust them blindly.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Why's that? It was always announed theyd havea dual card which mysteriously disapeared. Its 65nm so its completly possible, may not be dual GTX's but hopefully it is with each clocked down a bit.

But seriously they did it for their 7series and the only problem was something that is not FIXED in DX10. So theoretically it should all rock. For quad SLI you could have 2x2 or 4x1. Nice choice.

Maziar you dont have to post or even visit the forum if you dont want too.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
well, maziar does have a point, we are all becoming somewhat fed up, simply because there have been 10's of threads all on the same subject

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Ok point taken. Still I doubt what this suggests it simular to the other forums, and TBH to me this sounds the most probable thing to happen anyway..

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
not that it makes alot of sense to me at this point, but I think you'll find that in the near future(1-2 years) you'll see Ati and Nvidia come out with dual and quad core GPU's. I'm not talking 2-4 GPU's per card, I'm talking 2-4 GPU's per chip. Ya never know though, things are moving so fast lately and there could be alot of curve balls.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
T8RR8R I remember reading that somewhere, someoen suggested that if they just used SLI/XFire for everything, they could just create one core, and say low end put 2 on, mid range put 4, high end put 8 etc etc. Makes sense would cost them a lot less money.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
One of the main problems with multi-core and/or multi-GPU cards is that most programs wouldn't be able to use all the power, it's really a big waste of time. However some people said the same things about things like dual core CPU's and Quad Core CPU's.

Dudeson

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
not to burst anyones bubble but how will quad Sli work if normal Sli doesn't work properly? And if the quad setup is equavilant to 6 8800Gtx's then its in a league of its own which means it "may" handle DX10 games but with all the nonsense going on with Vista and drivers it might not be worth it...

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
quad is 4, so how is it equivalent to 6? and how is SLi not working properly?? sure it doesnt work perfectly but it does work to a degree, it is definitely not broken in the sense of it being totally pointless.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I'd avoid the 8950GX2 like the plague. The 7950GX2 had awful support, a large number of people were only able to use one core because their mobo didn't support some obscure PCI-X feature or they wanted to run multi-monitor. The whole GX2 series is about Nvidia posting good benchmarks for marketing, they abandon them once the new real top level cards comes out.

I hope they prove me wrong.

thanx m8 , glad that u understand what i was saying

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004

Well thats a load of rubbish, 7950gx2 QUAD sli is what you're reffering too. 7950GX2 competed in SLI just as well as any 2 seperate cards did, check tomshardware benches if you dont believe me.

But im pretty sure the problem with QUAD was that you could only set the amount of frames rendered in advance to a certin amount, which is solved with DX10, atleast this is one problem.

Which is why quad sli worked quite good with opengl games I think..

Umm, I came up with the 6. The DailyTech article I linked said the 780i chipset will have 3 PCi-E 16x slots, so you can theoretically put 3 of these dual-GPU monsters in there. Of course, I wouldn't call it quad.

If this ever comes to exist it will probably require watercooling.

Mati87

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
@ PCI slots are for video cards and 1 will be for physics card. There were new ageia card pics not to long ago don't know if they were fake or not, well they looked real.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
They were PCI-E models converted by PCI. not any better.

Why would you say it needs water cooling? 65nm sais it doesnt :D Thats right down from 90nm lols.

I meant, if you have 3 of them in the same PC. With one I wouldn't worry, of course. 3 however may be a bit excessive. Even if 3 good fans can cool them, that's a lot of air moving around and making noise.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006

Most of the problems with the 7950GX2 were because it was out when the core 2 first launched. There weren't any motherboards that you could get a GX2 and core 2 running on correctly for a few months. Basically you had to have an Nvidia MB for it to work right. Sure Tom's benchmarks show the GX2 cards as being great because they know how to set them up right, but many users who bought them were stuck with the equivalent of a 7950pro because of these issues. Search the forums for questions about "Why does my GX2 perform at half speed?" there are more than a few.

I'm not referring to Quad, people with single cards had these issues because the GX2 requires a certain type of feature on your MB to work right (PCI-X switching?). A single 7950 is fast enough where people who just bought the GX2 based on price wouldn't know the difference. I would never recommend this card to a friend.