Sign in with
Your question

Whats the big deal with the 8800's?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 25, 2007 4:04:47 PM

I have realized that everyone is talking about the 8800's? Why? Haha, what happened to ATI? I also realized that one of the ATI cards now has DDR4. What the H**l is that? So many questions....
I really want to get an 8800 because of all the hype too. So how do you really think that will run Crysis when upgrading my card from a 1650pro Radeon 512ddr2? Also, which series would mine be compared to?
Thanks!

More about : whats big deal 8800

September 26, 2007 1:25:43 AM

Depends.. wait it out the 8800's have no computation so they can charge what they want. As for running crysis, you will only know if you can run it when it comes out.
Related resources
September 26, 2007 1:43:37 AM

Quote:
Depends.. wait it out the 8800's have no computation

No computation?! So they are doing all that rendering with smoke and mirrors eh?
September 26, 2007 6:27:01 AM

notherdude said:
Quote:
Depends.. wait it out the 8800's have no computation

No computation?! So they are doing all that rendering with smoke and mirrors eh?

Maybe he meant to say competition.
September 26, 2007 6:49:00 AM

Also don't confuse DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 for you system with the memory that's for your GPU, it's not the same thing.
September 27, 2007 9:24:50 AM

Hey dude it aint hype the 8800 unlike halo 3 actually deliver the goods, you get what you pay for and as for ati it is amazing they went from the hyped up dx 10 chip r600 to the dustbin .
September 27, 2007 11:59:34 AM

Nvidia hold the current performance crown. That halo effect (not halo the game, but the effect of your top product being the best) rubs off on the lower products and means most people want an nvidia card.

Also... the 2900XT is all over the show in benchmarking, in some games it gets close to 8800GTX performance, in others it scores lower than a GTS. At least with the GTX vs. GTS you know what the difference is vs. the difference in cost. With a 2900 are you getting over priced GTS performance, or lower priced GTX performance?

It gets very muddy so people play it safe and either pay slightly more for guaranteed high performance, or slightly less knowing exactly where they stand.
September 27, 2007 12:26:00 PM

One way to know which card to buy is to know your games, and look for benchmarks using the cards you may buy. As for Crysis, anyone have it yet? Cant do a benchmark without a game. If you play certain games, the 2900 kicks, but it all depends on the games you play
!