Where can I learn to build my own computer?

Frankenstyle

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Where can I learn to build my own computer?

For the past year I have wanted to build a new computer. I think I am pretty well qualified to do the job. I have changed out parts on my old machine a few times. I have been trying to keep up on the latest technologies and all that good stuff.

I know that computer technology evolves extremely quick, so I was hoping to be directed to a resource that is updated frequently so it will be up do date. I suppose I am looking for both general reading on the subject, and even more importantly an in depth step by step walkthrough of the process.

Thanks for all your help!

hastetheday

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Well, i started off in your boat. But then i found out that it was awesome and starting studying pc repair in college, and am almost done with my associates, then i am transferring to get my bacholors in computer security. But the best way i learned, still am learning, is by taking classes, and reading forums, lots of them. The internet is amazing for help wise. The guys at this forum are awesome and really helpful. check the manufactor's forums also for your parts. Buy some new a+ hardware books, those help also.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
great article but no pictures?
aah.
Oh well I build PC's for more than 12 years, but for the op, they might want pics...

still great article though.

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
for my first build i follwed the how to in an issue of maximumPC.

but i am sure there is a how to with pix on the net somewhere

http://www.mysuperpc.com/

this is just 1
just google build pc. i am sure there is a site to suit your needs.

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I dont know of anywhere to readup on it but I will give you a few tips.

1. When building a new PC keep your old one around and still connected to the internet. Troubleshooting without internet access SUCKS!!!

2. If you are a gamer, start going to the local PC shops and befriend those people. My best friend thought me most of the stuff I know.

3. Building a PC is not hard. The hardest part is thinking you are doing it wrong and you might mess up $1000 in parts. Dont be stupid. PLEASE do not be drinking a soda and eatting a burger while building your first build.

dspear

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Go to Google and search for articles with the words 'Building' and 'Computer'. You'll get loads of articles. The best ones will depend on you, but read several, as each has it's own tips. Each component will also have its own installation instructions. Later, you may need to google 'Installing' and 'Windows'.

I'd say that the only hard part is when you are putting the heat sink on top of the processor. This has to be done right the first time as they get glued together. Other than that, it's easy.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

I agree it would have been nice for a first timer if the article had pictures. I thought it was very detailed but somtimes it's nice to see a picture to be sure your doing something correctly. I build my first system following a DVD I got from TechTV when the existed. It was very easy after seeing somone else put everything together.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That's news to me. Did you use This? :lol: Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive
All jokes aside, if you load the CPU to heat it up, before you remove the HS, it will come off a lot easier. Also they don't stick right away, it takes a while.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

If you use AS5 or some other type of thermal paste or grease they don't get glued but a vacuum does form so it is important to connect them correctly. Thermel adhesives are designed for things like RAM sinks which have nothing else holding them on.

Frankenstyle

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
I was looking at the articles and such and they were helpful. I also watched a series on youtube, not real in-depth, but every bit of material helps. I should be getting my parts early next week, I'll let you know how it goes.

GenericName

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
The hardest part about building a PC I found was getting all the wires plugged in. You have power supply wires and wires running out of your Case for USB's, Power Switch etc.. I had buddy come over to help me with that part - but the thing runs solid

It's not too hard and you can always ask someone on here.