Sign in with
Your question

Is it my imagination, or have 8800 prices gone NOWHERE?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 25, 2007 5:10:01 PM

Well, I feel like a chump. Basically, all the way back in Febuary I built my gaming system. It uses a 52" 1824x1028 HDTV for a screen, it has an e6400 @3.2ghz for a cpu, RAID 0 hard drives...and a 7900 GS.

Yeah, yeah....but when I bought it, the 8800 GTS 640mb cost $360 while the 7900GS was $140. I assumed that 8800 prices were going to plummet to being cheap sooner or later.

INSTEAD...right now, on newegg, SEVEN months later, an 8800 GTS 640mb costs $340 with rebate. I can't get a 320mb model because my display has such a high native resolution.

It really bites having to play bioshock at 1024x768, and having it get choppy in a few spots. It really bites playing Supreme Commander and having it not be smooth in big battles. And I am afraid to even install the Crysis beta...

Basically, I'm stuck. I can't justify paying $340 to buy an 8800 GTS to myself now, because after ebaying my 7900GS, I'll end up having paid more than it would have cost to buy one 8 months ago. So I have to wait until it FINALLY drops in price...who knows when that will be...

And meanwhile, bioshock jerks whenever the houdini splicers show up (must be a really demanding pixel shader effect) and Supreme Commander's massive battles are uggh...
September 25, 2007 5:15:49 PM

No reason for NV to change their prices. The 2900XT performs in between the 640 and the GTX and the prices of both of those cards reflect that. I kinda agree that it sucks, cuz...well... it does. I contemplated upgrading one of my machines when the prices drops and they haven't. So guess what? My main desktop is sitting there with a 6800. You might see price drops when the 2900pro is released depending on how it performs. If it can come close to the 640 and is cheaper, I would expect NV to drop their prices to once again reflect performance.
September 25, 2007 5:29:36 PM

Or competition. Like I said, if the 2900pro can compete, the prices may drop. If not, don't expect anything.
Related resources
September 25, 2007 5:31:38 PM

MrsBytch is correct. Nothing better has come out to drive down the price.
September 25, 2007 5:43:21 PM

Newegg has rebates on alot of the 8600GTS's this week. Could be Nvidia is making room in their price structure for whatever is comming out in Nov? Who knows
13 out of 25 have rebates
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 25, 2007 5:47:32 PM

If your the only game in town you can price how you want!
Mactronix
September 25, 2007 6:08:26 PM

The stupid thing, is ya pay 340 for a GTS now, only to have the 8900 or 9800 GTS cards in just a few months that are far more powerful but priced similar or just a bit more. =D

The statement- "Nothing to compete with" is irrelevant.... Nvidia still needs to release new cards once in a while. Think about it.... Everyone has an 8800.... Nobody left to sell anything to! NV has no choice but to release a 9800 to get all the 8800 suckers to give them more MONEY!!!!! w00t! =D

YOU WILL GIVE YOUR MONEY TO NVIDIA!......NVIDIA COMMANDS IT!

anyways....
New and better cards will be out in Nov (well perhaps not better, but at least new!) and that MIGHT, a big MIGHT, drop prices a bit on 8800's =\
September 25, 2007 6:13:46 PM

Its a real problem. Nvidia owns the high end market. AMD/ATI has nothing to really compete with it. So the question from Nvidia is, "Why bother to build a newer card?" They don't need to yet. They don't even have to fix any of the driver bugs because there is no competition to require it. When AMD/ATI brings out a card that beats the 8800 GTX, then Nvidia will have reason to release a better card, and lower the prices on the present cards.
September 25, 2007 7:01:02 PM

Why bother releasing a new card when you are making millions with your current offering and facing no competition for performance crown while winning more market share than everyone else.
September 25, 2007 7:07:05 PM

U can obtain better performance with the 8800gts 320mb just overclokcing the card...

I have an 8800gts PNY and it can go up to 651mhz Gpu vs 500 mhz (by default) ... this increment surpass any 640mb version even overcloking that one... why because they have more ram the core cant go more high than the 320mb version does so ... u can save a lot ...

Mines cost me 273.00 USD delivered (265.00 without d) (www.clubit.com)beware because almost none of the other brand names can go up to this speed .. the only one can really compete with this brand is XFX becaus it has the Shaders Clock overclocked by default ... but cots more without mail in rebate of course ... but the PNY offers a 5 years warranty once its registered (3 normal + 2 registered in their website)

I live in Peru (Southamerica so 1 st please forgive my bad english and second i didnt have to pay 450.00 usd thanks to a friend)

Good Bye and I hope this could help you

Regards
Omar

PD... Dont criticize my answer reply with ur own statement...
September 25, 2007 7:52:22 PM

ahhh... yea, this is just one of those things that happens. you took a gamble on the video card market and bet the 8800 would come down. it didn't and now you suffer from poor performance because you bought a mid-range card. it's exactly what you knew would happen with that card -- its nowhere close to an 8800.

very similar to the stock market, except the price stayed constant for so long.

maybe you'll spend more selling the 7900 and buyin an 8800, but maybe it's worth it. up to you, whether you think it's worth that or not. you're basically posting to tell us how you made a bad decision and can't justify to yourself that the 8800 swap would be worth it. we're not all financial gurus, and i personally wouldn't mind if i lost about $80 in the exchange. if the 8800 would've hurt you before in the wallet because of its extra $200, and now it wouldn't, then you can justify the decision before. whatever, it's your money, make up your mind. just not a real need to frame your post as in "i'm such a noobzorz" reference.

you gambled, you lost. either pay up or suffer splicer slowdown. could exchange your high res monitor for a smaller lower res one and nab a 8800 / 320mb. probably come out ahead in terms of money, tooz.
September 25, 2007 7:57:22 PM

Habeed said:
Well, I feel like a chump. Basically, all the way back in Febuary I built my gaming system. It uses a 52" 1824x1028 HDTV for a screen, it has an e6400 @3.2ghz for a cpu, RAID 0 hard drives...and a 7900 GS.

Yeah, yeah....but when I bought it, the 8800 GTS 640mb cost $360 while the 7900GS was $140. I assumed that 8800 prices were going to plummet to being cheap sooner or later.

INSTEAD...right now, on newegg, SEVEN months later, an 8800 GTS 640mb costs $340 with rebate. I can't get a 320mb model because my display has such a high native resolution.

It really bites having to play bioshock at 1024x768, and having it get choppy in a few spots. It really bites playing Supreme Commander and having it not be smooth in big battles. And I am afraid to even install the Crysis beta...

Basically, I'm stuck. I can't justify paying $340 to buy an 8800 GTS to myself now, because after ebaying my 7900GS, I'll end up having paid more than it would have cost to buy one 8 months ago. So I have to wait until it FINALLY drops in price...who knows when that will be...

And meanwhile, bioshock jerks whenever the houdini splicers show up (must be a really demanding pixel shader effect) and Supreme Commander's massive battles are uggh...

I believe G92 was last said to release sometime in November. No matter if article was correct that the G92 is just a 65nm 8800GTS it should be cheaper or have higher clocks. If this is correct then I would guess that the 8800GTX will get the update around December. December would be the best time as retailers will really reduce margins to make sales. New revision or full G92 price drops for old stock plus Xmas pricing so I suggest an Xmas card, pardon the pun.
September 25, 2007 8:01:45 PM

I bought my 8800 GTS under $300 BEFORE the price hike to $350+ prices. The 2900XT might help a little bit (the 8800GTS is back to the original pricing), but ATI gets off overpricing their low performance cards vs nvidia cards. So there is NO need to change prices. Without any "new products" from ATI (or Nvidia) the prices will not move.
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 25, 2007 8:18:51 PM

The only place viable for Nvidea to place a card right now is below the 8800gts and just above the 1950 pro which is where a lot of the money is going at the moment and surprise surprise both Nvidea and ATI are going to do just that with the next cards which should be out in about a month or so.
It seems ATI have a tempory solution with the 2900PRO but that is reconed to be a short run of failed XT chips.
Time will tell i guess.
Mactronix
September 25, 2007 8:53:53 PM

Video card makers are GOUGING the marketplace. No doubt about it.
However, I'm still running xp with an old Visiontek (ati) 9600 @256mb agp
card. Plenty of capacity for what I run. There is very little software besides vista and bioshock, & 1 or 2 other high-end games. Not worth the $300+ pricetag... Also if you notice, the updated mid-range cards have loads of memory, but suck in the specs.. the extreme range cards are $500+ which is completely out of line considering they've been on the market for almost a year with no price cuts.

I've got plenty of time to wait for it to be worth upgrading to a better video card. Same with cpu's, usb 3.0 m/b's , hard drives, etc... the technology is just not good enough to justify spending money, just yet.
When my machine gets to entry level specs or prices get back in-line then I'll spend.. not until.
September 25, 2007 9:00:32 PM

Yeah you guys are right, there's not really any reason for a price drop, because there's basically no reason.

I also think that the next generation of midrange cards are totally gonna RULE for what they are supposed to be. I think you find that the next gen midrange cards from Nvidia are going to be nipping at the heals of the 8800GTS, and there will also probably be something that's much more powerful than the 8800Ultra for less than the cost of the 8800GTX. Ati will also probably have something that performs better than the 8600GTS, but is also alot cheaper than the 8800GTS320 so that should sell quite well(2900pro?). Another thing that will also make life more interesting is that you'll start to see monitor prices drop and resolutions go way up, which will almost eliminate the need for AA on many of these newer monitors.
September 26, 2007 12:03:57 AM

wait for decemberish when the new nvidia cards should come out
!