Best 939 oc board ?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hello. Our asrock 939sli-esata2 board doesn't want to play along when memory exceeds 200mhz, so we considered buying a new board.

I howecer don't know much about amd overclocking, so I dont know what chipsets are best.

Anyone able to tell us?

Specs:
Opteron 170 (able to do at least 2.8 on homebrew water cooling)
2gb kingston hyperx pc3200 and/or
1gb geil pc3500 cl2
8800gts640
corsair hx520
both ide and sata disks

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
What do you mean by the board doesn't want to play along when memory exceeds 200mhz? Your memory probably doesn't like being overclocked past 200mhz.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

What I mean is 1) the cpu:memory ratio will often revert til 133:200 when using the geil memory modules (who's spd chip only defines timings for 217mhz). 2) given the lack of memory voltage control it's impossible to get the kingston memory past 280mhz. 3) Given the beforementioned problem, the geil memory can't get past 200, and even if it does, it'll become unstable.

The geil memory successfully followed a northwood to 4ghz in an abit board years ago, so we know it'll do 266mhz at cl2

Anyway, the board we have here has two major flaws 1) the vcore is limited to 1.4v 2) there's no voltage regulating feature for memory or chipset.

I'm kinda amazed with all those wannabe techies on this site, that none have actually be able to answer this post so far - except for one who didn't actually answer anything.

What board/chipset should we get if we were to buy a new/different board for our oc experiment?

ps. some nice pictures of the watercooling of the thing are here if anyone care. Cooler's made out of a socket a heat spreader, plastic from some cd covers, and glue. Everything made to fit nicely on the motherboard with some help of cabling strips.

http://www.opel.cc/~1ns4ne/data/wc-xxl

Short version for lazy people:

Best oc board/chipset for socket 939 cpus with pcie support?