2900 Pro X-fire or single 8800GTX for about the same price?

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
GTX is faster, but you pay a premium for it :)

Edit: Sorry I missed the crossfire part lol In theory two 2900Pro's in Crossfire would probably defeat a single GTX.

Couldnt possably say as spuddyt says we havent seen enough about the PRO card to coment yet but general rule of thumb is that you get the best single card you can afford and the GTX is a better card than the PRO as the pro is basically going to be a underclocked XT at best,then i would have to say go for the GTX.
Mactronix

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I don't know all that much about the technological advantage that the 2900Pro has over the 8800GTX, but I know that a single Pro is ALOT slower than the GTX. However you'll probably be better with the single 8800GTX over the lifetime of the cards.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
It varies in games. Xfire bests SLI in vista atm, for what its worth.

Personally id go for 2x 2900pro's. Their performance is only slightly under the 2900xt's and catalyst overdrive gets em a tad closer anyway. Theyd definatly best a 8800gtx.

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
If your ready to buy now then do it! To many times I see people say wait until x month, If we all waited until something new comes out we will never buy.
I'd go for the single card as so one earlier mentioned there seems to be a lot of trouble with both SLI and Crossfire with the latest drivers especially under Vista

Depends on the game and settings you prefer;

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/diamond-viper-hd2900xt-1024mb.html

As you can see for the XTs it can way outperform a single card sometimes, and other times, like SLi it can have a negative impact on performance.

Check the results for the various games and you should get an idea of what to expect.

I personally don't like multi-card setups, but if it comes to the same price then you have to check the options for your specific games/apps.

LOL @ U !! You have to pull out a review from before the HD2900's launch? :lol:

Lame! :sarcastic:

Try posting a review that was done with retail hardware and recent drivers. Heck when that review was written nV still couldn't get SLi to work with Vista at all, and it seems that despite the M$ patch and updated drivers, nV was still having trouble all the way up to the last driver release :heink: ;
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/diamond-viper-hd2900xt-1024mb_6.html#sect0

So until they finally fixed things on the 163.69 drivers SLi apparently sucked alot more, right now they're pretty much the same.