Sign in with
Your question

Need help with SATA drive

Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2008 5:07:08 PM

Hey everyone, I just registered because I can't seem to find the solution to a problem I'm having.
I recently bought a computer, and everything works fine except the SATA hard drive. For some reason, even though it appears in the BIOS, it doesn't want to be recognized as a bootable drive.

I've plugged in my old IDE hard drive and it works just fine... in fact, the SATA hard drive is recognized in device manager as "functioning" in Windows.
The BIOS recognizes the SATA drive as well. When starting up my computer, my DVD drive is spun and all that lovely technological jazz flashes across the screen, but then I am given this message (sorry for poor quality):
http://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08052/noname840.jpg
"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I've tried rearranging the hard drive and the DVD drive for boot selections in the BIOS, but it just gives me that message. I "press a key" and it spins the DVD drive, then gives me that message again. I don't know what to do! I've called customer support for the company I bought from and have been put on hold for about an hour now without talking to anyone.

I'm using a Windows XP Professional SP2 install disk that worked on my last computer. It has no scratches or anything that would prevent it from being read by the DVD drive. I don't have a floppy drive to install SATA firmware updates and whatnot, and to be quite honest I would prefer not having to buy one just so I could use it once.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

More about : sata drive

February 9, 2008 8:40:20 PM

The drive may need formatted. Get the Diagnostic/Repair software from the mfg web site and run it. Best off a floppy but if you don't have a floppy and the ATA drive has an OS on it, use that. You may be able to run it off a flash drive, the website should explain all this. When it's recognized disconnect all other drives when you install Windows
February 10, 2008 12:51:58 AM

Make sure in BIOS that HDD is configured as [IDE] and not [SATA].
Related resources
February 10, 2008 8:39:27 AM

KnFC said:
"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

Whenever I get this message it is always a loose cable connection. Check your cable connections to the HD, PSU, and the mobo, make sure they are secure.
February 10, 2008 1:52:31 PM

Thanks for the replies you guys!

g-paw said:
The drive may need formatted. Get the Diagnostic/Repair software from the mfg web site and run it. Best off a floppy but if you don't have a floppy and the ATA drive has an OS on it, use that. You may be able to run it off a flash drive, the website should explain all this. When it's recognized disconnect all other drives when you install Windows

I'll try formatting it in Windows... I couldn't find any diagnostic/repair software on the Western Digital site.

systemlord said:
Make sure in BIOS that HDD is configured as [IDE] and not [SATA].

It is, and I've tried changing that selection around just to see if any particular setting worked.

dcinmich said:
Whenever I get this message it is always a loose cable connection. Check your cable connections to the HD, PSU, and the mobo, make sure they are secure.

I would think that too, but it shows up in Windows and in the BIOS. I'll try checking the cables again anyways.
February 10, 2008 7:38:05 PM

Ahhh thank you so much g-paw! The Data Lifeguard program copied all the files from my old hard drive to my new one, and now it works! :D 
February 10, 2008 7:52:08 PM

KnFC said:
Ahhh thank you so much g-paw! The Data Lifeguard program copied all the files from my old hard drive to my new one, and now it works! :D 

I'll sacrifice a beer to the computer gods for your success :bounce:  Congrats
!