Dead missions

The single most useful feature CoH could get now is the ability to remove
old missions. It should cost a significant amount of influence - after
all, you are basically chickening out - but allow you to move on with your
hero life instead of searching for the right number of people at the right
level to help you finish a mission that no longer interests you in the
least. If the devs seriously wants people to play missions instead of
streets, this should be their first priority.

good sign." -G

Xocyll wrote:

> 3. unmarked simultaneous click missions - stop the rikti from invading
> council base and stealing the data. No mention at all of team
> requirement until AFTER the mission was accepted at which point a new
> paragraph in that brown/ornage color appears saying you need a team.
>
> That's right, they put in a nice bold, colored warning that you'll need
> a team in the updated info you can only see AFTER taking the mission,
> but left the normal mission briefing unchanged.

False. I did this mission myself not long ago and it's being offered to
another character of mine now. The initial text clearly says you will need a
partner.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

I have to go with Xocyll on this, because just yesterday, I had a
mission offered to me but it did not have that sentence where it says
that I'll need a friend. Only when I entered the mission did it say
that I had to retrieve the chests simultaneously.

Unfortunatly I did not take a snapshot of it since I did not know about
it before entering the mission. You'll just have to believe my word for
it. (But why would I lie anyway?)

Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> looked up from reading
the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
signs say:

>Xocyll wrote:
>
>> 3. unmarked simultaneous click missions - stop the rikti from invading
>> council base and stealing the data. No mention at all of team
>> requirement until AFTER the mission was accepted at which point a new
>> paragraph in that brown/ornage color appears saying you need a team.
>>
>> That's right, they put in a nice bold, colored warning that you'll need
>> a team in the updated info you can only see AFTER taking the mission,
>> but left the normal mission briefing unchanged.
>>
> False. I did this mission myself not long ago and it's being offered to
>another character of mine now. The initial text clearly says you will need a
>partner.

No dennis it didn't.

I always read the briefings carefully because I don't take simultaneous
click missions unless i'm already on a team and can get it done
immediately.

The mission description I got is a paragraph shorter than the one
available after you accept the mission.

Xocyll

Xocyll wrote:

> No dennis it didn't.
>
> I always read the briefings carefully because I don't take simultaneous
> click missions unless i'm already on a team and can get it done
> immediately.

Obviously not:

http://home.comcast.net/~hefferman/CoH/urwrong.jpg

<apu>Thank you, come again.</apu>

This is the umpteenth time you've blown a gasket over some facet of the game
you were completely wrong about. Do yourself and everyone else a favor: quit
and find something else to do.

--

Ferd wrote:

> I have to go with Xocyll on this, because just yesterday, I had a
> mission offered to me but it did not have that sentence where it says
> that I'll need a friend. Only when I entered the mission did it say
> that I had to retrieve the chests simultaneously.
>
> Unfortunatly I did not take a snapshot of it since I did not know about
> it before entering the mission. You'll just have to believe my word for
> it. (But why would I lie anyway?)

I don't think you're lying, I just think you're wrong.

I've seen lots of simultaneous objective missions that don't clearly tell you
how many teammates you're going to need, but I haven't seen one yet that
doesn't clear say you need more than one person.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

The thing about the requires-a-team missions is that they're given to
you intentionally, because the designers in their infinite wisdom feel
that you shouldn't be *able* to solo all the time; you should *have*
to team up so you can experience the game in all different ways.

Irritating, but there you go.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

Xocyll wrote:

> How hard would it have been to have a centralized mission server that
> then had sub-categories:

It would be at least five times harder, eh? Not trivial, and that's why it
wasn't done.

> And worse yet, they're always the same, for every damn alt you make, you
> get the same damn missions again and again at the same tiers.

This is true of every MMO. After you've done all the quests, you get to do
them again with your next character.

> ME having the exact same mission arc 2 or 3 times simultaneously.
> IE the Ambassador Zyla mini arc - I have a screenshot of the same
> mission "Rescue Zyla, the ambassador" at the same time from two
> different contacts (Jose Escalante and Jenny Firkins.)
>
> Then there's that DE mini arc involving the law firm and the guy who
> ends up turned into a Devoured, same firm, same guy, same arc - 3
> separate times.
> He changes, you kill him, then everything reverts and you do it again,
> and again...

Now, that's a legitimate gripe; Contacts in the 30-35 bracket dupe each
other's mission lists entirely.

> When people can have more fun street hunting than doing missions,
> there's something wrong with the missions.

People don't have more fun street hunting than doing missions. They do get
more experience that way, though, and as we all know, MMO players will hit
themselves in the head with hammers if it will make their characters level faster.

--

Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> I don't think you're lying, I just think you're wrong.

Then a lot of us must be wrong - I know I've gotten both simul-click
missions and timed missions without warning. My absolute fave is the one -
somewhere on the Vahz arc, I think - where you slug your way through one
tough mission, only to be dropped into a followup timed mission without
warning or choice. That one's happened to me twice.

And there is an alarming vagueness between mission text that says "This
will be tough, bring some friends" and that which says "you will NEED x
number of friends." I've soloed many of the former type.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

Shenanigunner wrote:

> Then a lot of us must be wrong - I know I've gotten both simul-click
> missions and timed missions without warning. My absolute fave is the one -
> somewhere on the Vahz arc, I think - where you slug your way through one
> tough mission, only to be dropped into a followup timed mission without
> warning or choice. That one's happened to me twice.

No timed missions on the Vahz arc. There is a situation like that on the
"Secret of the Sky Raiders" arc. The arc will continue whether or not you
succeed at the mission.

The first mission in the first Praetorians arc immediately spawns a timed
mission...with a TEN MINUTE limit. You are not expected to win that one. :)

> And there is an alarming vagueness between mission text that says "This
> will be tough, bring some friends" and that which says "you will NEED x
> number of friends." I've soloed many of the former type.

Again, I have never gotten a mission with simultaneous objectives that didn't
say so in the text. They don't do the color highlighting in the Contact box,
which they should, but it's always there. I would need to see a screenshot,
or at least a description of a specific mission so I could check it myself, to
believe otherwise.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:23:17 -0400, Dennis Francis Heffernan
<hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:

>Ferd wrote:
>
>> I have to go with Xocyll on this, because just yesterday, I had a
>> mission offered to me but it did not have that sentence where it says
>> that I'll need a friend. Only when I entered the mission did it say
>> that I had to retrieve the chests simultaneously.
>>
>> Unfortunatly I did not take a snapshot of it since I did not know about
>> it before entering the mission. You'll just have to believe my word for
>> it. (But why would I lie anyway?)
>
> I don't think you're lying, I just think you're wrong.
>
> I've seen lots of simultaneous objective missions that don't clearly tell you
>how many teammates you're going to need, but I haven't seen one yet that
>doesn't clear say you need more than one person.

There are a _lot_ of missions that say you need a team, when you don't
if you're a Scrapper. I've also run into at least four missions that did
need a partner which did not mention this at all in the briefings. I've
always /bugged this when I came across it, so maybe some have been fixed
since I last did them, but they certainly exist. I also /bug the
'retrieve item' missions that turn out to be defeat all instead, but
never say so.

On Wed, 18 May 2005 09:05:19 +1000, Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:23:17 -0400, Dennis Francis Heffernan
><hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Ferd wrote:
>>
>>> I have to go with Xocyll on this, because just yesterday, I had a
>>> mission offered to me but it did not have that sentence where it says
>>> that I'll need a friend. Only when I entered the mission did it say
>>> that I had to retrieve the chests simultaneously.
>>>
>>> Unfortunatly I did not take a snapshot of it since I did not know about
>>> it before entering the mission. You'll just have to believe my word for
>>> it. (But why would I lie anyway?)
>>
>> I don't think you're lying, I just think you're wrong.
>>
>> I've seen lots of simultaneous objective missions that don't clearly tell you
>>how many teammates you're going to need, but I haven't seen one yet that
>>doesn't clear say you need more than one person.
>
>There are a _lot_ of missions that say you need a team, when you don't
>if you're a Scrapper. I've also run into at least four missions that did
>need a partner which did not mention this at all in the briefings. I've
>always /bugged this when I came across it, so maybe some have been fixed
>since I last did them, but they certainly exist. I also /bug the
>'retrieve item' missions that turn out to be defeat all instead, but
>never say so.
Bug them, and hopefully they will fix it.

They have apparently fixed a lot of these problems, (at least ones
that used to not say they required a partner, and now do). But I have
to agree that they have not fixed every single one of them. So bug
them every time you encounter something like this.

As far as the so called loss of immersion because your contacts don't
seem to know your AT, well I think you are missing the point. They
are NOT your employers. They are just people that happen to have info
about potential crimes. You want to go out looking for trouble, well
they happen to have info on that trouble that you may be able to use.
You being incapable of stopping that crime all on your own is not
their problem. Its yours, because you told them you'd take care of
it.

One of the problems is that it takes time to design a mission (which
is why you see so many of them that look just like others you have
already done, and why you sometimes get the same exact mission from
different contacts). Its hard enough keeping up for the demand for
those who team a lot, and thus may have to do the same mission for 3
different pepple on the team.

The new Kheldian story arcs are a step in the right direction., and is
a sign that the devs do understand this problem. First priority
though, I'm sure, is just adding enough missions for team players. If
they ever achieve that, I'm sure that solo players will get a little
more attention as wlel..
Graham

"George Johnson" <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote in message

> Which was a wonderful surprise for my Fire/Fire Tanker (Infernal is
> being patched to decrease his 100% immunity to fire damage). Nothing like
> having a boss I cannot touch (though a steady stream of demons chasing me
> the heal crystal was actually comically amusing).

Did it give you a steady stream of exp? :)

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 25 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 19 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 17 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 12 Controller (Mind/Empathy), Triumph

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:34:54 -0400, Dennis Francis Heffernan
<hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> Xocyll wrote:
>
>> How hard would it have been to have a centralized mission server that
>> then had sub-categories:
>
> It would be at least five times harder, eh? Not trivial, and that's
> why it wasn't done.

Or perhaps they thought the "contact" thing was really cool. Certainly
that was the impression I got when Statesman presented it on E3 some time
before the game was even remotely ready.

>> And worse yet, they're always the same, for every damn alt you make, you
>> get the same damn missions again and again at the same tiers.
>
> This is true of every MMO. After you've done all the quests, you get
> to do them again with your next character.

DAoC and WoW both have class-specific quest that start pretty early in
life and go on until you reach the top. This in addition to the more
general quests.

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland wrote:

> Or perhaps they thought the "contact" thing was really cool. Certainly
> that was the impression I got when Statesman presented it on E3 some
> time before the game was even remotely ready.

Whether or not, the fact remains that for them to have missions tailored to
AT they'd have to do five times the work.

> DAoC and WoW both have class-specific quest that start pretty early in
> life and go on until you reach the top. This in addition to the more
> general quests.

Can't speak for DAoC but WoW does not. The class/race specific stuff peters
out fast after you grow out of the newbie gardens. By level 30, my Human
Rogue was doing almost all the same quests my level 60 Dwarf Hunter had done
(I found a few I'd passed up the first time). They throw you a few bones here
and there, mostly related to earning class abilities, but the quest tracks are
for the most part the same.

--

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote in message

| "George Johnson" <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote in message
| >
| > Which was a wonderful surprise for my Fire/Fire Tanker (Infernal is
| > being patched to decrease his 100% immunity to fire damage). Nothing
like
| > having a boss I cannot touch (though a steady stream of demons chasing
me
| > the heal crystal was actually comically amusing).
|

| Did it give you a steady stream of exp? :)
|

| --
| John Trauger,
| Vorlonagent

Nope. Demon Portal popping missions give no XP unless you destroy the
portal (to prevent farming).

I ran to the healing crystal to survive and hold the boss while the team
took stabs at the portal, but they couldn't do it either (kept spurting out
more demons). Finally one of the teammates called in a lvl50 to hold and
kill Infernal as I couldn't survive more than three whacks of Infernal's
axe.

On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:34:56 -0400, Dennis Francis Heffernan
<hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> Magnus Itland wrote:
>
>> Or perhaps they thought the "contact" thing was really cool. Certainly
>> that was the impression I got when Statesman presented it on E3 some
>> time before the game was even remotely ready.
>
> Whether or not, the fact remains that for them to have missions
> tailored to AT they'd have to do five times the work.

True. But on the other hand, having a single mission central would mean
less work than dividing it up between dozens of contacts each with their
own range of missions. Clearly laziness is not their only motivation,
coolness also counts.

>> DAoC and WoW both have class-specific quest that start pretty early in
>> life and go on until you reach the top. This in addition to the more
>> general quests.
>
> Can't speak for DAoC but WoW does not. The class/race specific stuff
> peters out fast after you grow out of the newbie gardens. By level 30,
> my Human Rogue was doing almost all the same quests my level 60 Dwarf
> Hunter had done (I found a few I'd passed up the first time). They
> throw you a few bones here and there, mostly related to earning class
> abilities, but the quest tracks are for the most part the same.

In DAoC, there was a continuous series of quests for each class, although
some classes shared parts of them - clerics and paladins, for instance,
both did quests for the Church. I followed these all the way up so I know
they were there. In WoW I quit the game shortly after the Paladin quests
began, so I can't say from my own experience that they continue all the
way to the top. I got the impression from reading about the game, but I
suppose the reviewers never played it through either. I did that with
DAoC simply because CoH wasn't made yet.

good sign." -G