Can I beat 15mbps/768kbps?

Belili

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I live in Cincinnati Ohio, USA and I'm trying to find the best deal on high speed internet for use with online gaming.

My cable provider offers their "turbo" service of 15mbps/768kbps for $20 more than their normal service of 768kbps/128kbps.

The turbo is $45/mo and the normal service is $25/mo.

Does the turbo seem like a good deal? Do you think I could beat that with some other service?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I dont know anything about internet services in that area but it sounds pretty good to me. $45/mo in my area only buys 3MB from the local cable provider and the service isn't even very good. Fast download/upload speeds but the latency and uptime is poor at best. DSL is WAY better here.

If you are getting the connection primarily for gaming I'd ask around or check online forums/dslreports.com for statistics about the average latencies of each provider in your area. The cable service around me has averaged over 100ms when accessing anything for a few years now, it used to be over 200ms. The DSL service has averaged 10-20ms to most of the things I access for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately there is no Verizon coverage in my area but if there is in yours I'd check for FIOS service. Having fiber to your house should be faster all around than other options.