SpeedFan shows 11.65v on the +12v rail...bad?

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
That was just after boot-up with nothing running, idle.

*edit*

It's actually flucuating from 11.58-11.71v idle/web browsing. The PC shutdown while playing a game (first time it's happened). I ordered a Corsair 450w, but it's not likely to be here before the end of the week. Should I take advantage of a stores return policy and swap one in until then? If I don't game, what do you think the chances are of it going out before next week?

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
well my first build. with it's kick *** psu use to show 13v on the 12v rails, i was always supprised that it didnt crash and burn after i learnt a bit more and got it replaced

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Always check with a meter. Speedfan shows my MSI motherboard 12V line as 12.77, but DVM shows 12.1V, other voltages display OK. BIOS shows 12V correctly.

Mike.

sailer

Splendid

As randomizer wrote, the PSU is within +/- 5%, so you probably won't be in trouble unless the voltage drops below 11.4V. Try getting a game running and then hit the "Start" key. This will temporarily take you back to the desktop and you can get a reading on the volts, temps, etc from Speedfan. That said, if you can swap out the PSU for a better one, it might be a good idea. Another thing to consider is that though Speedfan is a good indicator, the reading you get in the BIOS is a better one.

sailer

Splendid
Can someone tell me where on speedfan it shows your +12v rail?
When I open speedfan it shows the +12v as 0.38v and the -12v as -16.97v.

Not sure which version of Speedfan you're using, but I use version 4.31. On mine, the 12V is the lowest lefthand position in a box at the bottom. If you're only showing 0.38V on the +12V line, either you have a very bad PSU or the install of Speedfan went bad. Since I really doubt your computer would turn on with only 0.38V on the 12V line, I suspect that the install is bad.

As an aside, the reading I get on 12V line is 11.84V, about 1% low.