Sign in with
Your question

Opinions on my first build - esp. hard drive

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2007 10:25:12 PM

I'm about to put together my first pc, which will be used for gaming (hopefully high end!) Any advice would be appreciated...

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo2-FR LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX

Memory: 2GB Crucial DDR2 1066

VidCard: HIS Hightech H195PRQT512DDN-R-V2 Radeon X1950PRO 512MB

Monitor: Acer 22" widescreen 1680x1050 LCD

Hard Drive: Seagate 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

I'd like to find a better hard drive, a 10,000 rpm maybe, but it just doesn't seem worth the money at this point. Is this a weak point in my build? Does it matter?

Thanks!
September 8, 2007 1:15:59 AM

I'd recommend getting a 10K drive but don't use it as the machine's sole drive. A 10K drive, aka raptor, is a good investment. I've notice games and programs run a bit faster when loaded from the 10K drive than on my other bigger storage drives. I'd recommend getting a 10K drive big enough to hold your OS and your game files and get a large drive for back up and mass storage purposes. Maybe get a 75GB or a 150GB raptor and get a 320 western digital drive for back up (i dont get seagate as i've had a bad history with them failing). Another tip, if you do get a raptor make sure you split it up into two partitions. If your using XP i'd say make the C drive 10 to 15GB big and install only the OS in that space, then use the remaining space to install/run your programs from. If your doing vista, i'd invest in a 150GB raptor and make the C: drive 30GB big (cause Vista's install alone is 15GB) and use the remaining 120GB space to install/run your programs. Reason being is that the OS runs actually better and you isolate the OS from your programs (so in case you have to reformat your OS you dont loose your game/program files). Does it matter? Yes in terms of speed. Do you need it? Depends on what kinda gamer you are. But you will notice a difference.
!