Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2008 7:32:31 AM

I recently built a new system:

Asus P5N32-E mobo
Intel Q6600
2GB RAM Corsair XMS2
X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty w/ Front Panel
NZXT Hush case

I moved over my hard drives and graphics card from my old machine as well as my DVD and DVD-RW drives. My GFX card is an ATi 2600HD 512mb and the hard drives are both 160gb SATA.

Recently my computer has been freezing up and/or restarting randomly and often won't get passed the windows loading screen. When it does it runs chkdsk which proceeds to correct indexes or delete corrupted entries, usually after it runs it'll restart again and will load windows fine. This has been happening very inconsistently too, sometimes it will happen 4 or 5 times in a row and other times I can be at my computer for hours without anything happening.
Is this, as I suspect, signs of immenent hard drive failure or is it something less/more serious?

I'd like to be sure before I go out and buy a new hard drive.
Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : hard drive failure

February 10, 2008 8:09:23 AM

You did a complete reinstall of windows, correct?.... i had a harddrive that used to corrupt info heaps, was overheating and now it sits on a shelf.. book stop.
February 10, 2008 8:30:54 AM

I did when it first started happening as I couldn't get into windows at all. So I'm looking at failure then? I was hoping I could save myself the money :( 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 10, 2008 8:54:30 AM

MasterDex said:
I did when it first started happening as I couldn't get into windows at all. So I'm looking at failure then? I was hoping I could save myself the money :( 

I had this happen to me once. Turned out I had bad sectors on one of my HDs and a corrupt RAM module. What I did was download the Windows Memory Diagnostic utility to check the RAM and I got a utility to check my HD from the manufacturer's web site.

You may want to do the same and check both your RAM and HDs.
February 10, 2008 12:47:35 PM

My RAM is fine, it's only about 2 months old but I'm not sure wha a good utility for checking the health of my HD would be.
February 10, 2008 1:52:37 PM

Most HD manufacturers offer diagnostic software. Check them out first.

Clint
a c 217 G Storage
February 10, 2008 2:45:07 PM

did you test your ram? new ram does not make good ram....defects happen... and since most data goes through ram you can corrupt a hard drive that way...

Check out Ultimate boot cd...has most diagnostics on it for hard drives and ram
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
February 10, 2008 4:10:36 PM

I've just started to download Ultimate Boot CD now. I'm fairly certain that the RAM is fine but like you said, it is worth making sure. What bugs me most is the inconsistency of the freezes and crashes. Having them happen all in a row and then not at all for hours or one isolated crash, etc. Is this normal with a failing HD or bad RAM?
a b G Storage
February 10, 2008 5:13:28 PM

What version of Windows are you running?
a c 217 G Storage
February 10, 2008 5:22:48 PM

Are they crashes(Freeze) or restarts? if they are restarts they may be BSOD's. Windows restarts when it can not recover from an error.

Instructions for XP
Right click My Computer
Select Properties
Select Advanced(tab)
Click Settings under Startup and Recovery
Make sure there is no check box next to Automatically restart.

This way if you get a BSOD it will stay up and you can copy the error code down.

My friend had ram that was not compatible with his board and it cause random crashes and freezes ect. The ram was fine even with memtest but changing the ram for another brand fixed it. Asus boards have good compatibility so the should not be likely.

Another thing to check is the Event viewer for errors

Right click My Computer
Click Manage and look for the even viewer in there. take note of any errors.

Did you update any drivers recently?

Either way post any results you find and when testing the drive, DO NOT write zeros to it....its in the diagnostics of most drives but that wipes the drive out. just run the short and long tests....
February 13, 2008 2:57:25 AM

Well I checked my RAM and my HDD and they are both healthy. Since I last posted I haven't had any reboots either and everything seems to be okay. I checked my error log too and the only error that corresponds to a crash is this

Error code 00000051, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 e60b6488, parameter4 00532848.

I'm not sure what this points too and my searches on the web have come up fruitless other than it has something to do with either the registry or a device conflict. Either way, things are going good for now but if anyone has any info that could help me on that error I would appreciate it.
February 13, 2008 3:40:15 AM

I don't see your PSU listed.
February 13, 2008 5:51:37 AM

Format your OS hard drive and reinstall your OS, this will most likely fix your problems.

Rattus Viola: Sino non they quisnam operor non have scientia futurus vestri rector.
February 13, 2008 6:34:47 AM

bobbknight said:
Format your OS hard drive and reinstall your OS, this will most likely fix your problems.

Rattus Viola: Sino non they quisnam operor non have scientia futurus vestri rector.

I did that already but it didn't fix it. Things seem to be going smoothly now so fingers crossed it stays that way.

@Zorg: Forgot about my PSU. It's a Thermaltake Toughpower 750W, it's the newest piece of hardware I bought.
February 13, 2008 7:21:52 AM

Well, it's unlikely you have a power problem, aye?