Is it possible to convert a toshiba only vista disc into a disc for ot

MACHINEDRUM

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Is it possible to convert a toshiba only vista disc into a disc for other computers?

Is there a way to turn a toshiba satellite series windows vista disc into a vista disk that can be installed on other computers besides toshiba?
How do i do this or convert the files to a burnable and bootable iso?
I have an original windows vista 64 bit sp1 disc for my laptop but it says on it that it can only be used for other toshiba laptops.
Can i somehow copy the files onto another disc and make a copy that can be used on other computers?
thanks

MACHINEDRUM

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

oh really? someone told the recovery discs are really vista setup discs and they can be used on other computers. also the disc probably contains vista on it and you could probably create an iso from those files. its ok if you dont want to help me.

Depends on what exactly Toshiba includes with the system - whether it is a windows installation disc or a recovery disc ( a recovery disc is a ghost image of the original HDD after everything is installed so will only work on a system with the same MOBO chipset,and other devices since those drivers are also already installed on the image and no other drivers are included that would normally be included in the windows installation disc.

That said I currently am using a copy of VISTA that was installed from an E-machines Operating Systems Disc that came with an refurbished e-machine that already had it's own OS install and keycode on the system (the Refurbisher should have wiped the HDD and installed a fresh OS copy and entered the new key and attached it to the case after removing the old sticker but instead left both stickers on the case and the new Install disk still sealed was included in the box. So when I put together my new system I used that install disk and the unused key code to install the OS on a new build with completely different parts - So some OEM disks can be used for a new system but it depends on the actual media that is included (some OEMs include an OEM version of the windows installation media while others only include an image of the factory default installation so whether it can be done easily depends on which Toshiba included with the system.)

Trust me... Toshiba recovery media only works on Toshiba computers... it is extremely rare for an big OEM to include media that could be used on any computer. In fact, the media isn't included anymore... it's up to the customer to create it themselves.

I said no because it isn't possible... not because I didn't want to help you. You cannot create an ISO from the installation files because they are proprietary OEM files meant to be read with whatever software the OEM used to create their factory image. Windows is only a part of that image, it is not separate from it. Having owned a Toshiba laptop, I know how the recovery works.

The only OEM that provides media that is very close to Windows OEM media is Dell. If you have one of their discs and a valid OEM key, then you'd probably get away with using a Dell DVD. But it simply isn't possible with Toshiba media.

MACHINEDRUM

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

ok cool. thanks for the info.

TRENDING THREADS