Sign in with
Your question

Intel charged in South Korea with Antitrust

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2007 10:42:15 AM

Hot off the presses of Yahoos news. Intel charged in South Korea with Antitrust

How many countries does this make now? 5? 10? 20?

A mounting concern or fanboy fodder? Does this bode well for one of our favorite chip makers? You decide.

Interesting nonetheless.
September 12, 2007 11:22:31 AM

If this is true, it doesnt bode well for Intel. It will make it harder for them to do deals. Everyone will be looking at them. And if this snowballs, this could cost us all. Like I said, if true. I just dont understand why this monolithic behemoth would have to resort to this. Just doesnt make sense.
September 12, 2007 12:13:53 PM

Quote:
I just dont understand why this monolithic behemoth would have to resort to this. Just doesnt make sense.

If it's true, one word. Greed.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2007 2:48:01 PM

Yeah ... read the latest Inq link.

Interesting.

September 12, 2007 5:01:11 PM

I don't think anyone's dumb enough to claim that AMD will never see a penny for court cases with (they already have).

You're simplifying the arguments in the anti-trust cases and claiming them as fact instead of as the allegations that they are.

The main reason AMD is not doing well today is that they sucked the big one for the last year, they bought ATI (big mistake) and their super duper new processor isn't as great as predicted. I think those have a much larger impact than Intel gave Dell more discounts than HP in 2003 since Dell bought more Intel chips than HP did.
September 12, 2007 6:23:03 PM

reddozen said:
Quote:
I just dont understand why this monolithic behemoth would have to resort to this. Just doesnt make sense.

If it's true, one word. Greed.

It might also have to do with a different word: FEAR. Intel had a fear that if AMD chips were offered by all companies, as well as Intel's, then Intel's profits would go down and AMD's profits would rise. If AMD had been able to sell more CPUs, then AMD's profits might have allowed it to come out with even better chips sooner than it has. That would have hurt Intel even more. So Intel's solution? Payoff the computer companies, give away some CPUs, and threaten them so they wouldn't sell any AMD chips.

Now, AMD is so far behind that it may never completely catch up. And as last I read, AMD has not collected a penny, though I could be wrong about that. Every time a guilty verdict is read against Intel, they immediately appeal the verdict. It may be years, if ever, before AMD collects.

Oh, to please the fanboy's, I have an Intel powered machine in my office and am thinking of getting another. Just because Intel pulled some tricks doesn't mean I'm foolish enough to run a slower, more expensive AMD CPU to do my office work. Though if Barcy's problems can be worked out, one of those chips may power my next office computer.
September 12, 2007 6:56:05 PM

wolverino,

What Intel (probably) did is a big reason AMD is in the situation they are in today. They produced and oustanding product, that beat the competition in all areas, and they got very little in return for it. They should have been able to make ALOT more money than what they made. Reinvesting that amount of cash in the business could have helped them a lot and made todays situation much better than it is. Their is really no telling how bad what Intel has been accused of doing hurt them over the past 3-4 years.

Of course Barcelona isn't what it was supposed to be as of today, but what if they were able to release it 4 months ago? They would have had less competition. That kind of stuff can really snowball.
September 12, 2007 9:04:35 PM

I think one of the most interesting parts of this story is the "discussion of possible sanctions". So, I wonder how harsh the ruling would be if they decide to go ahead with sanctions?
!