Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

E2160, figuring out accurate temperatures.. please help me :(

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
December 3, 2007 11:14:41 AM

Hi guys,

this has been frustrating for me, still haven't figured it out, I can't seem to understand the guide correctly :p .. I have a E2160 L2 Stepping (SLA3H), Coretemp reads the Tjunction at 100C, but everyone I know says if your processors tjunction is 100C minus 15C from the coretemp reading.. So my question is do I minus that 15C from Coretemp reading?

My E2160 is @ 3.2GHZ 66C Dual Prime/Orthos.. Using TR Ultima-90, Antec 900 Case with 4X120MM 1X200MM


E21x0: Tcase Max 61c, L2 Stepping, Tjunction Max 100c, Vcore Default 1.312, TDP 65w, Delta 15c

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--60--/--75--75-- Hot
--55--/--70--70-- Warm
--50--/--65--65-- Safe
--25--/--40--40-- Cool

Feedback is appreciated, I have looked at the guide I just don't understand it :p  too confusing for a person like me, anyway if you guys could help that would be awesome.

Thanks for your time!
December 3, 2007 2:43:59 PM

I too have my 2180 @ 3.2Ghz And I get about 67C after an hour of orthos as well. I have a CoolerMaster TX2 in line with a 120mm exauhst. My thermaltake 120mm PSU helps take even more also. I'm gonna experiment with a lower multi and higher FSB. Right now I have it locked @ x10. and at core @ 1.5375 Volts. I can run 3.2Ghz and do normal desktop low end stuff @ 1.475V. But not even 30 seconds in orthos and I error, 3DMark06 crashes as well.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2007 3:02:36 PM

Yamcha said:
So my question is do I minus that 15C from Coretemp reading?

My E2160 is @ 3.2GHZ 66C Dual Prime/Orthos.. Using TR Ultima-90


The answer to your question is no. Core Temp reads Tjunction Max correctly as 100c. L2 Stepping was introduced following the original B2 Stepping Conroe processors, such as the E6600 which is Tjunction Max 85c, so L2 has been in use for quite some time now.

Is 66c Tjunction hottest Core?
What is your Ambient?
What is your Vcore?

Comp :sol: 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2007 3:11:44 PM

bildo123 said:
I too have my 2180 @ 3.2Ghz And I get about 67C after an hour of orthos as well. I have a CoolerMaster TX2 in line with a 120mm exauhst. My thermaltake 120mm PSU helps take even more also. I'm gonna experiment with a lower multi and higher FSB. Right now I have it locked @ x10. and at core @ 1.5375 Volts. I can run 3.2Ghz and do normal desktop low end stuff @ 1.475V. But not even 30 seconds in orthos and I error, 3DMark06 crashes as well.


100% heat saturation is typically reached within 7 to 8 minutes, which is why I specify 10 minutes in the Guide. Also, a lower Multiplier at a higher FSB which yields the same processor frequency will not allow lower Vcore, and will not result in lower processor temperatures.

What is your Ambient?

Comp :sol: 
December 3, 2007 7:57:41 PM

CompuTronix said:
The answer to your question is no. Core Temp reads Tjunction Max correctly as 100c. L2 Stepping was introduced following the original B2 Stepping Conroe processors, such as the E6600 which is Tjunction Max 85c, so L2 has been in use for quite some time now.

Is 66c Tjunction hottest Core?
What is your Ambient?
What is your Vcore?

Comp :sol: 


Voltage is : 1.43V
Room Temperature is about 20C
Idle for processor is 38C
And Full Load is 66C, isn't that the same as Tjunction hottest core?

Anyway so does that mean that I can let it hit 70C? since its in the warm category.. I wanna get a little more out of it if possible, also should I avoid going over 1.5V?? or doesn't matter as long as its at a decent temperature ?

thx for all your time :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2007 8:49:05 PM

Hottest Core simply means that you only report whichever Core is hottest. Since all temperatures follow ambient, remember to consider that while ambient is currently 20c, and is lower than normal reference (22c), there will be higher than normal Ambient temperatures during warmer months, which will directly affect both sets of processor temperatures, CPU (Tcase) as well as the Cores (Tjunction).

Also, once 1.35 Vcore is reached, each 100Mhz increase in CPU overclock typically requires a corresponding increase of .05 Vcore, which results in a 3c to 4c increase in temperatures. This means that you should only expect to reach 3.3Ghz at 1.48 Vcore, and when corrected to a normal reference ambient of 22c, your Core temperatures would be 72c. Even with safe temperatures, 1.5 Vcore should not be exceeded.

In my opinion, you shouldn't push it any higher.

Comp :sol: 
December 3, 2007 9:26:22 PM

Thanks for all your help, I think I will stick to 3.2ghz, I have ordered AC-MX2, and maybe i'll lap hsf n cpu to drop temperatures..
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2007 9:31:33 PM

About Thermal Interface Materials...

From the Guide:

Section 14: Recommendations

(B) Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 can reduce CPU temps by ~ 4c compared to Arctic Silver 5, which is far more popular than it is effective. The first link shown below is to a very in-depth Thermal Interface Material (TIM) comparison that was posted 2/2/07 on Tom's Overclocking - Cooler and Heatsinks Forum, which was conducted by DaSickNinja. This 6 page thread is very revealing, however, the review has been moved to the second link shown below, Xtreme CPU.

DaClan Review: Thermal Interface Shootout: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221751-29-daclan-revi...

Note: Due to Tom's servers forcing asterisks in the link below, when clicked it will cause "This page cannot be displayed". Simply backspace the 3 asterisks and type x-c-p-u-s without hyphens, then press enter.

Thermal Interface Material Comparison: http://www.***.com/forums/case-psu-cooling/3902-thermal-interface-material-comparison.html

Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 Thermal Interface Material (TIM) can reduce CPU temps by ~ 4c compared to Arctic Silver 5, and is simply the best TIM for CPU cooling.

X23 is available at the following sites:
http://www.chillblast.com/product.php?productid=16932
http://www.ajigo-store.com/se7783d.html
http://www.crazypc.com/products/50118.html
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.ph...
http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.ph...

Comp :sol: 
December 5, 2007 2:23:13 AM

CompuTronix said:
Hottest Core simply means that you only report whichever Core is hottest. Since all temperatures follow ambient, remember to consider that while ambient is currently 20c, and is lower than normal reference (22c), there will be higher than normal Ambient temperatures during warmer months, which will directly affect both sets of processor temperatures, CPU (Tcase) as well as the Cores (Tjunction).

Also, once 1.35 Vcore is reached, each 100Mhz increase in CPU overclock typically requires a corresponding increase of .05 Vcore, which results in a 3c to 4c increase in temperatures. This means that you should only expect to reach 3.3Ghz at 1.48 Vcore, and when corrected to a normal reference ambient of 22c, your Core temperatures would be 72c. Even with safe temperatures, 1.5 Vcore should not be exceeded.

In my opinion, you shouldn't push it any higher.

Comp :sol: 


Ya I actually settled with my E2180 @ 3Ghz even. Seems to provide the best stability/performance/heat level possible with mine, personally I think mine came from a so-so batch. My ambient temps now are about 20C +/-2C I ran Prime95 for 2 1/2 hours before first error on first thread,it expected a different sum, wasnt a rounding error(dont know if that means anything different) the other thread was still going, temps seemed to cap at 53C, I was recording it with core temp. Also I have my Vcore set in the BIOS @ 1.4V Even. Any less than that errors occur quicker. Only problem is I probbobly could have done this just fine with the SHS/F. Course temps would have probbobly been in the mid 60's (man that thing was a POS.) But hey after rebate I get my CoolerMaster TX2 for 10 bucks, plus I plan on eventually getting a penyrn 45nm Quad down the road, so I'll clean it up and put some Shin-Etsu on it when the time comes. Got FSB @ 333 rated FSB @ 1333 multi @ x9 mem @ 800 4-4-4-12. Honostly I really dont know if I would see a noticable FPS increase if I even magically got it to do 3.4Ghz. More importantly I got to OC my 8800GT to 700/1950 with my schweet Accelero 2 passivly cooling it down. Hits 70C Max with this overclock. Case cooling does all the work. I used to IDLE @ 60C with stock HSF let alone overclock it like I am now. @ load I think stock HDF would let it get in the mid-high 70's @ 600/1800
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2007 2:36:50 AM

Well done! Prime95 would probably run stable indefinately if you increase Vcore by just one more increment, which would only increase temperatures by 1c. I agree regarding your thoughts on a so-so batch, but it's still hard to beat considering the price. My advice is to have a beer, and enjoy your rig.

Comp :sol: 
December 5, 2007 11:08:45 AM

CompuTronix said:
Well done! Prime95 would probably run stable indefinately if you increase Vcore by just one more increment, which would only increase temperatures by 1c. I agree regarding your thoughts on a so-so batch, but it's still hard to beat considering the price. My advice is to have a beer, and enjoy your rig.

Comp :sol: 


LoL we must be running on the same brain wave, I actually decided to fiddle with it a little more. Mostly this time I was playing with the memory, timings/voltages. And got some interesting results. First off I really did increase my Vcore by one notch in my mobo, figured that little bit more would give it the power to go even farther at the cost of nothing. The more interesting part was in my Memory. I have 4x1GB of Patriot Extreme Permormance model #PDC22G6400LLK. From the package I read 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2V. But I always read everyone running lower voltages. So I said the hell with it and ran it @ BIOS 'normal' volts with 4-4-4-12, should be 1.8V (speedfan says 1.89v, but I dunno). Windows booted but shortly crashed before I could run some prime memory test. So I went back and set the timings to 5-5-5-16 (According to CPU-Z @ those timings it should run fine @ 1.8V) And I believe it to be true, I ran a few prime blends and small FFT (about 5 minutes a piece for a quick test.) No errors or crashes right off the bat so thats a good sign. The best part of it, somehow, by lowering the DDR voltage to 'normal 1.8V' and lower timings It brought my idle temps way down to Core0 22C~23C Core1 24~25C.Used to be Core0 27C Core 1 30C Load temps remained fairly same maybe 1~2C degrees lower, but thats with only 10 minutes of testing so I'm sure it would hit my previous 53C after an hour. Also ambient is still about 20C. So I feel as though I got even a little more out of it. Im wondering though since I found my new memory relaxing method if I could push 3.2 again. But I think I had enough. For another 200Mhz I have to give it hell, or say the hell with it.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2007 5:26:13 PM

bildo123, I really hate to pop your bubble, but your temperatures are not correct. If you've read my Temp Guide, then you know that when ambient is 20c, and your hottest Core is only 25c at Idle with 1.4 Vcore, then it doesn't compute.

If you were to follow the Calibration procedure - Part 1 - which is the Idle Test setup, I'm sure that your Cores (Tjunction) would fall below ambient, not to mention your CPU temperature (Tcase), which just isn't possible. I suspect that your 2180 is M0 Stepping, and that Core Temp incorrectly interprets Tjunction Max as 85c, rather than 100c. Are you running Core Temp Beta 0.95.4?

Comp :sol: 
!