Vid upgrade suggestions

kipd1

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Hey everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my old radeon 9600. I have to stay at the sub $150 range, and I would like to avoid adding any after-market heatsink/fan combo. I have an older (by tech standards) mobo, so I will need an AGP card. I've been looking at the x1950pro by ati, and was interested in the GeForce 8600gt, but I was unable to find the 8600 in AGP. I'm primarily looking for a midrange gaming card. The pushing force behind needing an upgrade is to run Lord of the Rings online, but I'm looking forward to Hellgate London, Bioshock, and others. I know that the price range will not allow me to run some of these games at their full splendor, but it would atleast give me a nice boost in performance over my old 9600.

Basically I'm wondering what you guys would suggest. I like the x1950pro, but there's so many different vendors out there, and without knowing much about them, it's hard to decide on a reliable one. I've read a lot of reviews of some of the less known brands and there is always someone saying the x1950 runs hot on some of these brands. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I have a 1950 pro and i can play bioshock just fine at 1280x1024 at max in game graphics.

If that isnt good enough then your next best bet would be the 1950XT, but i think that would be over your price range?