Gigabyte P35-DS3R multiplier problem

mtr

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Hello.

I've overclocked my Q6600 to 3Ghz using the default 9x multiplier with 333Mhz. I originally tried to clock it to 3.2Ghz by using 400Mhz and an 8x multiplier, but Windows and CPU-Z both showed the CPU as 3.6Ghz, which suggests that the multiplier is sticking at 9x. Are there any other settings I need to tweak to lower the multiplier?

I'm using OCZ PC6400 memory.

Thanks for any help,
Mark

Tierce

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I can't remember exactly what the option is called on the Gigabyte boards, and at work so I can't check mine, but it has to do with the power saving options with the intel chips. It's either with the C1E or the Speedstep setting. You want to disable all this stuff in your BIOS. Basically it automatically adjusts your multiplier as it sees fit based on the level of use. With my E6750 chip, it kept dropping the multiplier down to 6x from 8x when the machine was idle, giving me funky readings on CPU-Z. I think these options are on the power management section of the BIOS for the gigabyte boards. Maybe someone at home with their computer can look at their BIOS and direct you a little better.